Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

RC newbie with a unique problem

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RC newbie with a unique problem

Old 10-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Avionics_sg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC newbie with a unique problem

I am 1 year into my PPL training and have done some tandem flights. No solo yet.

A good friend got me a Futaba 8j radio as a gift n I got interested in RC.
on advice of local hobby shop I got myself a simulator n began practicing.

i had 2 issues:

1) continuously changing orientation put me off at first. I'm over this now n can control the bird on the simulator.
2) On the final turn before approach, I'm used to big radius turns on the real Cessna n MS flight sim. But most tutorials for RC show highly banked and very small radius quick turns. Is that the right thing to do considering most RC models are small? Or do I continue with the longish turns?

also, for my kind of profile, what's a good electric to start? Already have the tx and rx.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:12 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: RC newbie with a unique problem

In the full scale world the norm in training is a squared off base leg (the crosswing leg too for that matter) however what is more common in RC is a large shallow one eighty through the base leg with continuing adjustments as needed rather than a square base.

John
Old 10-14-2012, 07:37 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's Navy Vs. Air Force

Navy is a constant turn all the way to final losing altitude as required to land on 500 ft of deck.

Air Force is long straight in approach from out of sight to hit a 10,000 ft runway.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 PM
alltumbs

Dooooooh .........That's going to leave a mark !!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do a squared off approach with my scale planes just because it looks nice and it's easier to set up a better landing with a model you've got a lot of time invested in (less chance for issues)...... with sport or other type models I usually just zip right in. (and don't worry.. landing issues are not unique )
Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air Force here!

Your "problem" is not that unique. I tend to teach the "Air Force" method for R/C beginners so they get used to making corrections to get a good line on the runway and have plenty of time to do it at a safe altitude. The "Navy" method can be learned later as well as some other more fun aproaches such as the unconventional fly low and fast down the runway in the down wind direction to 200 or 300 ft past the threshold, go virtical as you drop the throttle to idle, perform an Immelmann turn when you have just enough airspeed to roll and rotate, deploy gear, flaps and spoilers if so equiped and land. The basis of this post is to say, there is no set rules for landing R/C planes other than to do your best to land the plane in a manner that allows subsequent flights of the airframe.

Before the flame throwers get here let me just say you should always fly safe and within your experience envelope. The latter described aproach method should only be performed when you are the only plane flying at the feild as it requires a reverse pattern manouver.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Avionics_sg

Wow great inputs guys. Thanks.

I guess will stick to Air Force for now.
Wanted make sure I don't look like an idiot at the park..