Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Complete Noob Needs Help!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Complete Noob Needs Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM
FNG RIDER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Complete Noob Needs Help!

Ever thought of rc cars?  I build, bash and mostly race them.  Off road vehicle would be good place to start. I have flown but crashed more than I flew.  I have also flown RC helos.  Helos generally are the most difficult to learn, then planes and then cars.  Even cars are difficult to drive a high speeds. I have crash a all of my cars. You will have to master flying/driving away, towards, and across from you by reversing the directional controls.

If you decide to start with flying, be sure to fly on a windless day.  The wind can easily overpower the light weight beginner Ready to Fly Planes and carry them away.  I lost one doing this exact same thing.  

Don't be discouraged, get a plane and or a car and have a blast!!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Maximilionalpha

If wish to become a confident, beginner r/c pilot, then my advice to you would b to download any free rc flight simulator, to practice on as much as you can, for as long as you can. That way, you'll learn how the craft responds to the controller inputs. You'll also, save yourself a ton of money once you finally become confident enough to toss your first plane into the air. No matter how many flying clubs you join,nor how many experienced instructors you have, you're always going to eventually crash, so don't fret too much over that part. You're also going to get (what I like to term), jittery pilot thumb during your first few weeks of in the field flying. So, with that being said, here are a couple of really good rc flight simulators, that I would recommend to you;

Completely free [link]http://www.rcdeskpilot.com[/link]

Trial [link]http://rcflightsim.com/[/link]

Also, an excellent foamy for a beginner, and it's a floater that glides like a butterfly, is the Parkzone Radian.
Go to rcgroups.com, it's more informative.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Chucksolo69

Going it alone when learning to fly RC is indeed possible. Myself and plenty of others have done it. However, I bought a simulator, and had 6 years of RC helicopter experience by the time I got into planes. Planes like the Hobbyzone Champ, Super Cub, Firebird Stratos and the Ares Gamma 370, along with the simulator and plenty of practice, all made it possible for me to fly more advanced planes in about 6 months. Flying an RC aircraft is a pretty difficult thing to do, more so if you don't take baby steps and try to fly a plane like the bomber you described. That is no beginner plane. I agree that probably the easiest way to learn is with a club instructor, but if you do insist on goin it alone, then try the planes I listed and you should be able to learn on your own. It will be painful, but it can be done.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheFridge189

Hi everyone. So I decided I want to get involved in RC planes, and I have alot of questions.

I am brand new to them. I have never had one. So I was wondering if I should get a trainer plane, or just have a simulator do the job of a trainer.

Now my next question, which trainer plane or computer simulator do you recomend? I would like the trainer to be rtf, but I do have a 5 channel eflite radio and reciever that I could use.

Do these planes control where the right stick does throttle and tilt, and the left stick does actual turning? So pushing up on the left stick is more throttle, pushing the left stick left or right makes the plane do barrel rolls while going straight, and the right stick makes the plane actualy turn.

If so, what channel number of planes do this? 4, 5,6,7 etc. And are those considered basic controls, or are all planes like that?

Next up, what do you think of planes from banana hobby and Hobby king? They seem like a good deal price wise, but I heard they have horrible customer support, and their electronics are junk. Is this true?

And besides Eflite, banana hobby and hobbyking, what other brands are out there that are good?

Hope you can help me out!

Mike

Troll post.

Has to be. Member on RCU since 10/11 all in boats. Glad you want to expand into RC flight but do a search and learn. Then ask some questions. Looks like you want to be the "lone wolf" anyway from your responses to some good advice. Just my observation...
Pete
Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 PM
TheFridge189

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the b-17, because I wouldn't plan on owning that for at least 6 months of flying, but I guess some of you guys didn't get that from my last post. So let's try and focus on the main point here now that that's cleared up.

I am going to see a club trainer a couple times before I try to fly by myself so I won't have a bad first expeirience. And Jester you brought up a good point about the overall time investment. I will definately head out there as much as I can. I'm hoping I could maybe go 3 times a month, but it's a stretch. I know I could go at least once a month, and it sounds like even that will help me a heck of a lot from what Biker and many of you are said.

Do you guys think I should show up for the first time with a trainer plane, or use one of theirs?

And to Rocketman, how should I respond? I definately am listening to the amazing advice that has been given to me, seeing that I will be going to a club once or twice a month. I don't see what you are trying to say with that post, and it sure doesn't help me in anyway, so why say it?

Mike

Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

I started with an $89 basic simulator. While I practiced on that, I found a club in my area and went out to their field. I met the instructor which offered to teach me on their trainer while hooked up to a buddy box (second transmitter which is over written by the instructors transmitter if you get in trouble). At this point I had used the simulator for about 8-10 hours. I flew the trainer just fine and the instructor was impressed with my flying. So a simulator is a must in my opinion.
I then bought a used nitro trainer with servos for $45, a nitro engine for $40, a used flight box with starter and glow plugs/tools for $20. The only thing I bought new was a Futaba 8ch transmitter because that will be put to use for many years. Joined the club and AMA, took 2 more flights with the instructor and I have been on my own ever since! Warning: THIS HOBBY IS ADDICTING! Lol. In 4 months I have bought 6 planes, 8 nitro engines and a bunch of other stuff. Good luck and welcome to the wonderfull world of R/C flying!

Best regards,
Ed
Old 01-23-2013, 06:31 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will find out very quickly that once a month is not as much fun . Check the club out first and see what they recommend. You will find more info with the club than anywhere else.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

You will be going every weekend!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: TheFridge189

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the b-17, because I wouldn't plan on owning that for at least 6 months of flying, but I guess some of you guys didn't get that from my last post. So let's try and focus on the main point here now that that's cleared up.

I am going to see a club trainer a couple times before I try to fly by myself so I won't have a bad first expeirience. And Jester you brought up a good point about the overall time investment. I will definately head out there as much as I can. I'm hoping I could maybe go 3 times a month, but it's a stretch. I know I could go at least once a month, and it sounds like even that will help me a heck of a lot from what Biker and many of you are said.

Do you guys think I should show up for the first time with a trainer plane, or use one of theirs?

And to Rocketman, how should I respond? I definately am listening to the amazing advice that has been given to me, seeing that I will be going to a club once or twice a month. I don't see what you are trying to say with that post, and it sure doesn't help me in anyway, so why say it?

Mike

I would visit the club first and get the advice of the person who would be helping you. Personally, I'll help anyone with any plane that they bring. But most of the guys at my club will not give you much support if you show up with a Nexstar. An Avistar or Hobbistar is their preferred trainer, and that's what the club trainers are. The club you are visiting may be fond of the Alpha .40 or an electric Apprentice, find out what they recommend before you buy a plane and just show up with it expecting help.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 PM
kwblake

"But most of the guys at my club will not give you much support if you show up with a Nexstar." What year is this????? Personally, if this happened, I would run like H_ _ _, and find another club. My God, what would happen if you showed up with the wrong colour plane, or a Futaba instead of a Spectrum???? Or worse yet, a Magnum instead of an OS. Perhaps the world would explode. Would the club members run you on the spot?????? Unbelievable!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 PM
hugger-4641

You're being a little fecitious. Most of the "old salts" at that club do not have any use or patience for all the gadgets on a Nexstar, if you want their time, then you don't want to show up with a Nexstar. If you do show up with one, the first thing they are going to do is piss you off by removing all the junk and returning it to its "basic" air frame. I will probably do the same as I personally share the opinion that the Nexstar is not the best training platform. I can get most anyone in the air fairly quickly with a PT-40 or any other flat wing trainer. If that's all you want, great, get one. But if you really want to learn how to fly and develop your skills to prepare yourself for a sport plane or a warbird, a flat bottom wing trainer is not the tool to use. So I agree with their reasoning, I just have a little more patience.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 AM
bikerbc

I would take what ever you already have out to the club when you go and show the guys what you have..You can show up with your trainer plane and still fly theirs (if they have one , not all clubs do )They will be able to help you set it up your plane and make it safe to fly...If you find the odd rude comment on here don't let that get to you, that always happens..Some guys are just rude....I know our club would never turn anybody away no matter what they showed up with..We would still try our best to help in any way we could..This person could end up being a friend...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 AM
Maximilionalpha

If you ever run into any club that is picky about what type of rc aircraft you like to fly and is adamant about what THEY, want you to fly, while at THEIR club, then, you know that you've found the wrong club to join. Sounds more like to me that persons club is probably family owned/operated and all are stuck in the 1940's. Generally, no matter what you take with you to the clubs field, there will most definitely be someone there who'd be more than happy to check it over and possibly even maiden it for you and let you have a go at it once it's up high enough that they can quickly recover it for you in the case you freeze up at the controls.

Happy Flying!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 AM
kwblake

if you want their time, then you don't want to show up with a Nexstar. There is nothing good, that I can reply with. I'm out.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:50 AM
bikerbc

I will agree a Nexstar is not my favorite trainer although when I started back in the hobby a few yrs back the LT40 was not available and I ended up with a Nexstar...I was not really learning how to fly rather than relearning so the Nexstar did me quite well..They do drag their tails in the turn but you learn to use your rudder and they can be a hand full in a crosswind but mine survived a lot of flights and I had a good time with it..I finally sold it...I would take the auto pilot off for sure..then the rest of the stuff asap...They fly best clean in my opinion... I do not recall The Fridge 189 even saying he had a Nexstar so I am not sure what that has to do with his learning to fly..Other than maybe a plane that is not highly recomended by some of us that have had one..I think he is looking at starting out with a foamy and I think that's a great place to start..A Plug and play electric foamy...Just something simple to get your feet wet...I would never dream of turning somebody away because they showed up with a Nexstar or anything else for that matter..How are newcomers supposto know this stuff? I never thought I would see myself recomend an electric plane...They take less room to fly, do less damage to themselves when they crash are quite cheap and are fairly easy to fly if you get the rite one...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I belong to two clubs. One is a 45 min drive, the other 25. Most clubs are in isolated, far away areas.
Just another peril of this hobby[X(]
Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 AM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

Could'nt help but notice that the instructor pilots kept pretty quiet on this one hummmmmm-.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Can you blame them? From what I've seen over the years, they usually pop up when it gets down to the real deal kind of posts. If someone is serious about learning to fly, they pop in. If someone is just "thinking about learning", they stay out
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm an instructor and will teach a guy on whatever he shows up with. If the student has the foresight to ask what he should buy I'll tell him an H9 Alpha or Sig LT-40 in an ARF. It used to be a Hobbico Avistar until they decided to go messing with perfection by putting flaps on it. If he can find a used Avistar I'll definitely tell him to snatch it up because it's the best trainer we've ever seen at our windy club location. But whatever he shows up with, I'll do the first flight and trim the plane out and make adjustments as needed to get it flying properly. As long as a plane will fly straight and level and make smooth turns using ailerons only and tracks well on takeoffs and landings, then it will work as a trainer.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 PM
bikerbc

I too am now an instructor and would help a newcomer with whatever he brought at the same time giving him advice on what I think is the best trainer and a list of some of the better ones and maybe some of the ones to stay away from...It depends on what he wants and where he is planning on going...I don't know a lot about electrics so I would encourage him to talk to one of the electric flyers if thats where his intersts lay...I would buddy cord him on my LT40 and try to make sure he had so much fun that he would be wanting to come back..
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 PM
SBOT

Fridge,
Here is where I bought my A-9 , really great TX, Well I tried to post a link, but I can't seem to copy and paste it. Anyway I got it at www.theBarnFloor-DirtCheapRC for $309.00. TX plus 1- 7 chanel rec, 1300mah NICH battery, charger,switch,foam rec wrap, and a pig-tail to hook the battery up to the rec for telemetry. I thought it was a really good deal, but if you go with Tower after free shipping and discount codes it is only about $10.00 more.
Good luck,
Oscar
Edit: I can't get that link to work, just Google Dirt Cheap RC; it should come up. Ok here is the link:
http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/inde...eb9dckmuu7qfr1
Wow do I feel stupid! I posted in the wrong Thread. As Gilda used to say "Never mind"
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
hugger-4641

I am an instructor pilot, and evidently some of you did not read my first post very well.

The Op did not say he was getting a Nexstar., he asked if he should buy a plane or use what the club had. He also mentioned that the only club around was an hour away. I can relate, and I stand by the advice I gave him, you are doing him a diservice if you advise him to buy a plane that the folks at that club don't like.

If that club is open to helping with any type of plane, great, regardless, his best chance for getting the most help he can will be to follow the advice of the people at that club who will be helping., otherwise he might as well go it alone. If that offends some one or sounds rude, too bad, its just plain truth and sound advice.

As a good friend of mine is fond of saying, check the pool for water before you jump in it. Read my post thoroughly before you jump off the deep end.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 PM
hugger-4641

Fridge, I am an instructor pilot , and I've taught many people to fly. I help them no matter what plane they have, but all people and all clubs are not like that.

Incase my advice and some other's got lost in all of the gib gab, here's my two cents and a little more;

1. Visit the club before you buy a trainer and find out if those guys have any preferences or hang ups with any certain planes. Follow their advice and you will be more likely to solicit thier help. They may not agree with others here, but if you follow their advice, they will know you are serious and are respecting their time and effort to help you.

2. Do invest in some kind of simulator, they don't substitute for one-on-one instructors, but they are a usefull tool, well worth whatever you spend on one.

3. If you do want to buy a cheap foamy to practice with at your home, the 48" Hobbyzone SuperCub already mentioned by someone here is a great choice. Easy to learn on, reasonably cheap, very stable, very tough, very easy to repair, and Horizon customer support is great.

Hope this helps, keep us informed!