Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking for Transmitter selection advice

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking for Transmitter selection advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 12:42 AM
Boromir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Transmitter selection advice

After much researching I have pretty much decided on the GWS Slow Stick as my first plane, but selecting a transmitter is where I am looking for some info. I would like something that I can use for the next few planes after this one, but don't have a huge budget so I am not going to jump to top of the line (yet). I would like to be able to add on a controlled 'toy' or two once I get going a bit, a digital camera (I have a pencam that should work) for example, so I would like an extra channel or two. I am pretty much setting my price limit for the Tx at about $300 CDN (roughly $200 US). Some of the 6 channel models in this range (carried at a store within a couple hours of my place) are the Futaba 6DA & 6YG, Hitec Laser 6, JR XF631 and Airtronics VG600.

Any general info on what features I should be looking for, as well as specific brand/model recommendations, would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:39 AM
SaviCatses

I just bought my transmitter, being also a beginner, a Futaba 6XAPS. My first choice was also the 6DA, but I was told by people at the club where I'm going to be flying that it was not worth it, and should simply pay a little bit more for the computer capability. I got the PCM version of the 6XAS actually, and it was 387$CAN before taxes, but I'm pretty sure the FM version is cheaper.

I know you want to stay below 300$, but it's something to think about!
Old 01-14-2003, 12:59 PM
3 Channel Brain

Got a Hitec flash 5 x about a year ago works fine. like the computer stuff - remembers trim settings
when you switch off- good deal some u have to save settings separately. only thing I dont like is the flight timer alarm is a beep at a frequency that is one I can't hear anymore. It was about $190 with a flight pack
I got a glider pack (small servo's and batt. for 1/2 a )
Old 01-14-2003, 01:16 PM
FHHuber
Banned

I bought a Futaba 6DA. It works and isn't bad, but I wish I'd spent $5 more and gotten a computer radio.

The 6DA has very limited mixing. Can't do elevons. (needed for most flying wings such as the Zagi)

Either get a low end 4 Channel (the airborne flight pack and batteries are worth the cost of the system... TX is essentially free by that mode of thinking.) Or get at least a Hitech Flash 5. anything in between... kind of a waste of time trying to get a few minimal extra features which may not be what you need in a very short time.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Roodester

Boromir,

Another thought about radios. Look down the road to your future in R/C. You'll probably end up with several radios and choosing a make that you like (be it Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics) allows you to stay with one make. Sticking to one brand will reduce the number of extras you keep around (ie plugs, extra servos, mounts etc). I chose Airtronics, was happy with it and have stayed with that make. I got one Futaba (not a bad radio) but it sure is inconvenient having all Airtronics and one Futaba. Now when I want to cycle the Futaba, I have to look around for the Futaba plug for my charger/cycler. Now, I'd be reluctant to buy a Futaba or Hitec because I have an Airtronics system and am happy with it and want to keep things consistent. Has nothing to do with the quality of the radio or system.

PS My favorite character is Samwise Gamgee

Roodester
Old 01-14-2003, 05:19 PM
Boromir

The Hitec 5 Flash does seem to offer pretty good features for the price, and is just within my preferred price range. Picking a brand and sticking to it does seem like a very good idea. The top end Hitecs seem to have less features than the higher end Futaba or JR systems though.

Would it be worthwhile to spend the extra cash now and start with a somewhat high end Tx? I am not sure my budget will allow this, but I have a bit more time to save up since it is way too cold for me to stand about outside right now.

Another question, when I buy a radio package (Tx,Rx,servo's etc) does it come with crystals? I know the Rx units have crystals sold separately.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2003, 06:53 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Even if it's not on your list I would recomend the T6XA from Futaba. The crystals do come with the radio package.
They don't on the flight packs. This is why when you add a plane to your radio later on just buy a cheap 4 channel.and not a flight pack. Plus there is no charger with the flight pack.
later daveo
Old 01-14-2003, 08:51 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The radio system will have crystals installed.

As I noted... the base system, at about $100 to $120 US would have the servos, RX and battery pack with switch... that flight pack costs $90 to $110. The charger (you'll want a second if you have 2 planes....) is $15 as a spare part. You basicly can't lose buying the low end 4 ch radio.

If your budget is limited, don't need elevon mixing and you are just getting started.,go with the budget 4 ch. In a year or two (maybe a bit longer) when you start feeling a need for more channels and/or more features, you will probably have more $$$ to buy the computer radio. (and if its the same brand and frequency... the new TX will work with the old RX) The old TX can be set aside for use as a Buddy box. (or for your Combat plane... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

There is a side bennefit to starting with a basic system... it teaches you to properly set up the controls. The computer radio can let you get away with a poor control setup, by programming the channels to mofve the surfaces the correct amount. Its a bad habit though. Mechanical adjustment of control surface travel is FAR superior to using computer ATV adjustments. (but not as convenient...)
Old 01-15-2003, 12:40 PM
Roodester

I started the hobby with the basic four channel set up and still use the radio. You can't go wrong with a good basic system and you'll always have another plane to put it in.

I also have a system with computer and mixing - an Airtronics Radiant. I'm happy with it but I find I don't use the mixing. Huber is right - mixing etc tends to make me lazy and I enjoy flying the plane stick and rudder. If the plane tends to yaw with aileron input, I like to put my own rudder correction into it rather than let the radio do it. The only time I use it is when my left arm gets tired and I want to fly with right only while I rest. But when the maneuvers start, I'm using both sticks.

Roodester
Old 01-15-2003, 02:14 PM
Boromir

The computer geek in me is screaming 'Get one with a computer!!!!' 8^)

I am leaning toward getting a Futaba currently for the following reasons:
- Lots of people use this brand, so peer support for problem solving should be readily available.
- The Futaba website has lots of information on their products, and FAQs that seemed fairly complete.
- They seem to have a good variety of systems (from basic to outrageously expensive), and as a result I think I could safely say that there is a Futaba for any aircraft I could ever want.

Since my budget is more a self-imposed limit than a lack of money (certainly not rich, but not a starving student any more either), I am seriously considering the Futaba 6XAS. Of course for another $30 I can get the 6XAPS. I am sure after that there is something else for 'only another $??' after that, but it has to stop sometime. I suspect this radio would handle anything I could want to fly for several years.

Is PCM worth it? I understand a PCM Tx will work with both PCM and FM Rx? I understand that PCM offers some failsafe options when used with a PCM Rx, seems like a good feature for $30, but how much more do PCM Rx cost vs FM Rx?

Thanks for all the info, please keep it coming.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:25 AM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

As a rule, PCM receivers will be about double the price of an FM receiver.

The 6xas is a great radio, I had one for my first radio and it worked very well. When I bought my ultra stick, the 6xas couldn't be programmed for the crow feature so I upgraded to the 9cap. Now don't misunderstand me because I'm not trying to talk you out of the 6xas because I really liked mine and it worked great, and if you are planning on staying with smaller planes that need only 3-4 channels I would go with the 6xas. However if you can afford it and are planning on staying in this hobby and having multiple planes that need more channels and mixes, I would recommend the 9cap. Yes it's a little more money, but it will be the only radio you'll ever have to buy so in the long run you will save yourself some money by not having to upgrade later. Plus IMO the single biggest reason for buying this radio is how easy it is to program. Now I'm sure everyone tells you that what ever radio they recommend is really easy to program but having had both the 6xas and the 9cap, I would say the 9cap is 10 times easier to program than the 6xas. I looked through the manual the first day I got the radio and haven't touched the manual since. Plus the 9cap has allot of extra features that you can get by without, but are nice to have just the same. Again this is just my opinion.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:49 AM
FHHuber
Banned

PCM isn't as big a bonus as it was 10 or 15 years ago, when we used "wide band" systems. The older systems were more easilly interfered with, and there were fewer legal frequencies 20 years ago... (with cars and planes sharing frequencies back then.)

The advantage of PCM is the computer in the RX which can reset your aircraft's controls to a predetermined configuration on loss of contact between TX and RX. If set correctly, it can give several seconds for control to be regained before the aircraft is not recoverable. (before it hits something) its probably not worth the expense for use in a trainer... It can be very worthwhile in a $10,000 value competition scale model. Somewhere in the middle there's a point where it is a "break-even" by preventing one crash.

I have a PCM system... picked it up used at an estate sale (within the local club, at a meeting). I probably paid too much for it... but the guy had been a member of our club, and given the club a LOT of support. Everyone paid top $ for what was for sale. I like the system. Lots of cool stuff to play with. (There's a bit of computer geek in me too...)
Old 01-16-2003, 08:25 AM
SaviCatses

Someone mentioned this to me not long ago about Futaba transmitters, and which applies to the Futaba 6XAS radio (and some others too, possibly all of them).

They have a 'Battery failsafe' mode, so that during your flight, if the receiver detects that the receiver battery is below a certain voltage for over a few seconds, it will automatically cut the throttle to a high idle. This warns the pilot that it's very much time to land the plane. From what I've been told, this probably only applies to Futaba radio systems.

It's not mentioned in the transmitter's manual, but it can be found on the website.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:32 AM
Douglas88

Sanwa RD6000 is good... user frenly..easy to use...a 6 channel radio.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:58 PM
Mikes machines

I have the Hitec flash 5 x. We have three of them in my family. It is computer and has lots of features. It has V tail mixing and elevon mixing. Unless you are going to fly helicopters or need more than 5 channels there is no reason to spend more money. I was having trouble with interference and crashed several planes. I bought a Futaba 9 CAP PCM. No more inteference problems. A PCM radio sends a coded signal that is less prone to stray signals. I cant imagine needing more radio than this, yes it was more money but I am set probably forever.