Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner looking for first plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner looking for first plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Zman9398

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner looking for first plane

Hey I'm new here and I was wondering what would be a good starter electric plane for me to fly at my local park, I don't want anything that is crazy big and I want it to be pretty durable. I also don't want to get in trouble with anyone. Can anyone lead me to where I should start?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 PM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Beginner looking for first plane

If you are looking at ultra micro, the Parkzone Champ is tough to beat.

It seems like it would be very fragile, but it is so light it doesn't have much energy to absorb when it hits something.

Bigger planes, like the Apprentice, are great fun, but IMHO are best flown at an rc field.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:04 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

I would second the champ from personal experience. It is the Hobbyzone champ it is a fun micro 3 ch modle that can be flown in baseball sized areas. If you are starting someone to help you set it up is a very good idea as well as a large area for the first few flights. WHile it can fly in small areas like a ball field it does not handle wind very well and can be caried away in seemingly not so windy days. ON a super calm day though it is a easy flyer. I would also suggest for a first micro stay away from the aerobatic and warbifds till the champ is mastered.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Zman9398

Thanks guys would you suggest getting real flight before taking this plane out?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:51 PM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Real Flight and enjoy it. It can be helpful to get the thumbs moving in the right direction.

If it's in the budget, get the full version as opposed to basic.

Also I misspoke on the brand of the Champ.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:12 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you can afford Real Flight you can afford a better plane than the Champ. Not to knock the Champ because for what it is it's executed well, but to my mind the ultra micro planes aren't for beginners unless they are flying indoors. Have a look at the Hobby Zone Super Cub if you absolutely must go at learning on your own. It can take a pretty good bump and will fly ok in light winds. The better route though is to get with an instructor and go ahead to the 4 channel trainers like the Eflite Apprentice.

So here are the questions no one else has asked you. 1. How big is the flying space at your park? You'll need about twice as much space as you think you do. Also, how much human activity and damageable property is there? Don't fly over people or any kind of private property ever. You'll get yourself in trouble and ruin the good reputation that our hobby has built in most places. Also consider where you are going to land and if it's possible for some dead head to come walking or driving through just as you're making your approach. 2. Have you checked the local ordinances about RC plane flying? There aren't a lot of places that have outlawed them, but a few have. 3. What is your total budget for getting into the hobby? There is more to it that just the plane. You'll need multiple batteries, (eventually) a better charger than what comes stock with the RTF planes, spare parts and props, and a case of some kind for your radio and batteries.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Zman9398

I have a football field of room and I have another area with about 3-4 soccer fields in an open area ( highschool sized soccer fields), I have about 200 dollars but I already have a onyx 245 for my rc cars. No I haven't checked the laws in the area but there are occasionally some people in the area where I would be flying.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:58 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The Super Cub should be ok in those areas, as long as it's not tightly surrounded by trees. You'll be turning almost constantly though.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:58 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have $200, perhaps you should wait until you have more funds. The $200 would be good towards a simulator (Phoenix) if you have a gaming computer with a graphics card.