Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Front steerable strut - how to

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Front steerable strut - how to

Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 AM
JendaDH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front steerable strut - how to

Hi,

I have Top-Flite's Cessna 182 (kit) with Robart strutand I have issues with the way how the control horn is attached to servo arm. On top of the strut, there is a threded wire (cca 1-1/5") where plastic bracket is screwed. In this bracket is a small metal cylinder with hole that accepts push rod from the servo arm. I have flown with this setup twice and since I am beginner, my landings are not so soft like pro's landings. The plane did two or three jumps and I had to re-adjust the "geometry" again so the plane did go straight.
I am looking how to make this more reliable and "dumb pilot" resistant. The threded wire actualy bended a little bit and the plastic bracket is also not fixed there and is moving due to its design.
I will make some pictures tomorrow to ilustrate what I am talking about.
In general, I would like to see how others are controling their front strut in their >80" wingspan aircrafts.
Thanks for your tips,

J.

Here is the image and the control arm or how to call it is here located in the middle and the white plastic thing is that movable bracket.
2880.jpg
Old 06-29-2013, 11:11 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Front steerable strut - how to

The problem you are having is that this is NOT a beginner's plane. The hardware that is included with the kit is more than ample for the plane, but not when it's being pounded by beginner landings. If you're bouncing the plane that much you're going to damage it no matter what you do to beef it up, because this is a bit of a heavy plane. My advice would be to park this plane and fly a trainer until you get a little bit more control on your landings so they aren't so hard on the airframe you're flying.

Ken
Old 06-29-2013, 11:22 AM
JendaDH

Hi RCKen,

this year is my second season with trainer 60" size and I get landings there that are soft and I can even fit narrow strip. This is more of a psychology issue as the trainer is ARF kit and is just an item from the hobby store and the Cessna is 4 years of building and I am very nervous when flying it. The instructions say to land a little faster than on trainer and that is my problem, I am probably landing too fast. I have not tryed flaps on the cessna too. Guess that they might help a lot.
I managed to fly just twice with the cessna. I will give it another go and try to slow more on landing and I will check flaps effect too.
You say that for skilled pilot the mechanism on robart is fine, than I wil just leave as it is.
Thanks

J.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:51 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Since you are a builder, get a Balsa USA Stik 40 Plus.  It will throw together in no time and is seriously rugged.  Also good at slow flight.

It comes as a tail dragger but I set it up with nose gear with no problems.

Tom

Old 06-30-2013, 07:33 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Here is an excellent review of the Stick 40 Plus with detailed building pics. 

http://masportaviator.com/2009/12/06...stick-40-plus/

Tom

Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 AM
JendaDH

Hi Tom,

I am flying second season with this trainer0a5953a7a6b7e214b20d522f4299e98f.jpgIt is 60" wingspan with 7.5 ccm (.46) glow two-stroke. Half the engine than in Cessna, half the weight.
No need for another trainer. I will go to the field next week and try to slow down more before landing with cessna. I usualy take two or three fligts with the trainer and than I switch to Cessna.
Also, I already have TopFlites Gigant P-51D Mustang kit in the box, that will take me another year or two to build. When I get skilled on the cessna, can I directly switch to Mustang, or shall I introduce some low wing "trainer" of similar size and power before the Mustang? I have already flown electric Extra 300 EPP plane (about 40" size) and can land safe too (not tripping it over on the propeller).

Thanks

J.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Ken Erickson

J.

You are correct that better landings will solve your problem. Better landings are made by using just enough up elevator to keep the nose wheel off the ground for as long as possible after the mains have landed

Also, your Solo (a Primary Trainer) has a wing loading of Approx. 16 oz. /sq. ft., Your scale Cessna probably is 25 oz./sq. ft.. (Top Flight says 23 to 28, but only real experts can get it to the lighter range.) If you are not using the flaps, that Cessna needs to land much faster than the Solo. Much faster.

Still, the most important is to keep the nose wheel off the ground. That will also reduce, if not stop the bouncing.

Ken
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM
JendaDH

I will practise more with the trainer at higher landing speeds this approach. With the trainer I maintain the height (altitude) with the throtle, yet the cessna was gliding forever and I had to use more of elevator control.
Thanks for the tips and advices.
J

ORIGINAL: Ken Erickson

J.

You are correct that better landings will solve your problem. Better landings are made by using just enough up elevator to keep the nose wheel off the ground for as long as possible after the mains have landed

Also, your Solo (a Primary Trainer) has a wing loading of Approx. 16 oz. /sq. ft., Your scale Cessna probably is 25 oz./sq. ft.. (Top Flight says 23 to 28, but only real experts can get it to the lighter range.) If you are not using the flaps, that Cessna needs to land much faster than the Solo. Much faster.

Still, the most important is to keep the nose wheel off the ground. That will also reduce, if not stop the bouncing.

Ken