Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Runway take off trouble

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Runway take off trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Runway take off trouble

you must be a state department negotiator.

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Everybody goes through this and you will get used to it. As far as the peanut gallery is concerned, it's usually a bunch of bench-warming old farts that can't fly, but make comments about those who do fly. Get a group together and approach them. Request they be silent, or leave. If they don't have a plane with them, they should be required to be behind the safety fence.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

On Your Six,

I take it you support the process of making disparaging remarks and discouraging beginners and people that need help? In my time in this hobby I make an effort to help others and find something encouraging to say. The nature of your remark tells a lot. A lot of times I have gone to the flying field but never got a chance to fly because I was too wrapped up in helping someone else get their planes in the air. Funny thing though, I went home with a smile on my face.

The worst I have ever seen was when the peanut gallery laughed at a kid in a wheelchair after he crashed. My glare at them stopped that rather quickly. Might have made me too sensitive to those who offer negative responses rather than positive ones.

Peace, Brother.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:50 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No... I did not say that.. my problem is with you walking up and verbally attacking the attacker/joker... do you really think that is going to make it better? It is just going to make things worse. Best thing is to just ignore them and get better...fast.

So what if you crash... at times it is funny. You are making this way too serious. Everyone crashes... so why should the wheelchair guy not get the same treatment? Why is he immune?

SO I repeat my comment.... what are you a State Department Negotiator? They don't know what they are doing either.

ORIGINAL: Lifer

On Your Six,

I take it you support the process of making disparaging remarks and discouraging beginners and people that need help? In my time in this hobby I make an effort to help others and find something encouraging to say. The nature of your remark tells a lot. A lot of times I have gone to the flying field but never got a chance to fly because I was too wrapped up in helping someone else get their planes in the air. Funny thing though, I went home with a smile on my face.

The worst I have ever seen was when the peanut gallery laughed at a kid in a wheelchair after he crashed. My glare at them stopped that rather quickly. Might have made me too sensitive to those who offer negative responses rather than positive ones.

Peace, Brother.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:34 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: a70eliminator

Although I'm not a total beginner I am new to club flying.
I'm finding it way harder to do everything from starting up taxi takoff and landing ect just because of all the distractions of
people planes and club rules ect.
I'm so used to flying alone secluded and no distractions big field ect. One of the most trying tasks for me is taking off without standing directly behind my plane, ar the field I have to stand in a certain area about 90 degrees from my plane and i'm looking at is from the side rather from behind, also the flight path is also standing looking at my plane sidewars rather than directly in front of behind it like I'm used to.
I've crashed 2 times now with my 1/4 scale bipe, it always happens when there are people around and other planes, by myself is much more relaxing and I'm able to pull off great flights, but in a crowd forget it!
Anyone else have this experience, is it normal in the beginning or is it just maybe a personel problem?
Hi mate remember that chevy chase movie where he is a golf pro and is teaching this young guy how to putt a golf ball straight into the hole? you gotta be that golf ball man..ninga ninga ninga.It's the zen that makes you feel at one with what you watch and feel while flying and you can see your plane from all different angles no matter what attitude it is in.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:34 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-11-2013, 06:58 AM
dirtybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is help available.You can buy a three axis stabilizer from Hobbyking for about $20. It will keep your aircraft straight on take off and landings for you. It will keep the peanut gallery quiet at the very least. It will build up your confidence so you can turn if off and try it without it .You dont have to tell the peanut gallery, just make them wonder.
I have only tried it on electrics. I dont know if it would work on a gasser.
I am 86 so I need every help I can get.
I also grab a chair and sit when I fly so no one knows my knees are shaking.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 AM
opjose

Unfortunately the HK stablizer does not work with digital servos... ask me how I know!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:05 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: opjose

Unfortunately the HK stablizer does not work with digital servos... ask me how I know!
I dont know what your problem is. I havent had any trouble
Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 PM
dirtybird

repeat
Old 07-11-2013, 03:15 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

It's a known issue... you'll see plenty of references to it on their site too.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about a stabilizer or other expensive items, but you need to quit tearing up expensive planes and engines due to the different environment. I'd recommend you get a Stick or an advanced trainer like a Skyraider Mach I, and fly it until you are comfortable. Once you can fly it in a crowd, come out early morning or just before dark when there aren't any spectators and try your good stuff. After you feel comfortable with the good stuff, you're ready for the big time.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: opjose

It's a known issue... you'll see plenty of references to it on their site too.

Please include a link. I just read their entire site and could not find any reference to it.
The pulse provided to a digital servo is exactly the same as provided to an analog servo.
A digital servo can handle a much higher frame rate than an analog because it takes the input and makes it own pulse. An analog gets a pulse once every frame so if you up the frame rate you can burn it out.The analog servo is therefore more likely to be bothered.
I have been flying the Hobbyking stabilizer and the Eagletree Guardian both with analog and digital servos for the past year and have had no trouble.
Now if you are trying to use these units on a gas or glow plane thats a different problem. They are both bothered quite a bit by vibration. After all they are accelerometers.
Also they both need careful adjustment of the gain. The Hobbyking unit is more touche than the Guardian. With the Guardian you can adjust the gain if flight so its easier to get it right. A digital has a smaller deadband so it would make the gain adjustment more critical. I expect that is what your problem is. But you can get it right. It just takes a little more care.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 AM
opjose

Please include a link. I just read their entire site and could not find any reference to it.
Check the comments.

The units cause digital servos to pulse constantly ( no this is not the servo seeking center nor too high of a gain ). The surfaces end up constantly deflecting in an uncontrollable manner.

I first put one into my completely iPas "stock" Addiction-X and I could not eliminate this behaviour...

Even with the unit switched OFF but still in line, this happens, using standard Hitec Digital servos.

I've tried with other digital servo equipped planes with the same results. No problems with analog servos though.

There are a few posts ( again check the comments ) of people trying to upgrade the firmware to work around the problem, but so far even that does not eliminate it altogether.

Too bad too... this is only the second Hobby King device that I've ever had problems with after hundreds of purchases.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
dirtybird

I checked thr comments and found no inputs about it.
I bet if you used the Hitec programmer and opened up the deadband you wont have any trouble.

Perhaps if you have the gain set too high the system will go into oscillation and create vibration. This is the only way there can be feedback form the servo to the unit. There is no other path.

"The units cause digital servos to pulse constantly ( no this is not the servo seeking center nor too high of a gain ). The surfaces end up constantly deflecting in an uncontrollable manner. "

This is oscillation and is the result of too high a gain setting

Update:
I did a search for digital servos on Hobbyking and found a statement that the FMA stabilization system is not compatible with digital servos.
I would even question that but at any rate that is a completely different system.

update 2
The Hobbyking comments for an unknown poster claims the FMA stabilizer is not compatible with digital servos.
I checked the FMA site and there is no mention of trouble with digital servos. This unit has been available for more than ten years. IF there had beena problem you would think they would have fixed by now.
They do mention that a digital servo buffer should be used to connect the unit to Futaba PCM receivers. I think that is an unfortunate name for a unit and has caused misunderstanding. It has nothing to do with digital servos.