Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Real Flight RC Plane Simulator

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Real Flight RC Plane Simulator

Old 06-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Dawgman10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Flight RC Plane Simulator

I am new to flying RC Planes and am looking forward to buying the Super Cub DSM RTF. I went to the hobby shop and the guy there told me he suggests I get "Real Flight Simulator 6.5". This simulator is pretty expensive and I was wondering if there was another good RC Plane Simulator out there that is cheaper. Also, how important it is to master flying on the simulator before you fly a real RC Plane. I tried out the simulator at the shop, and I crashed my plane quite a bit.
Thanks
Old 06-29-2013, 09:13 PM
1320Fastback

Default RE: Real Flight RC Plane Simulator

You can get older versions of Real Flight for way less than the newest version.
I would get 3.5 or above and you should only be in it for $30-$60.
They also have Real Flight Basic which is $100.00 new.

Simulators are great for getting your motor skill and orientation down but they can only do so much.

They will not teach you anything about all the variables such as:
Plane setup and preflight items like CG, linkages, electrical connection ect.
Ground handeling is also harder in real life, planes can weave all over the place before takeoff.
MisTrimmed planes are a real life thing also. Yes you can really mess up the trims and fly in the Sim but it should happen at random so you learn how to trim WHILE flying.
Other distraction like insects, bees, birds, dogs, people, ect are also something to deal with.

All this said.... We all have Simulators and they will help you get comfortable with how the transmitters work and your fingers doing the rite motions.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:31 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tried the new version of the sim at the hobby shop and its cool with the graphics that have been upgraded, but for just keeping sharp during winter or if I want to get some stick time my 3.5 version works great I am sure the older version would e fine if you are looking to save some money, having downloaded many planes from the www.knifeedge.com swap pages, I have just about all the model types and variants I could ask for.

I think having a sim is a valuable tool compared to when I first started flying at 15 to when I picked up the hobby again nearly a decade ago now its night and day with a sim to practice on I had soloed again in just a few months time, having a little red button to restart your session is invaluable to learning the muscle memory needed to fly,it can be done without a sim of course but its helpful in making progress at a quicker pace.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:53 AM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Is it convenient to go to the store and use the sim there? As long as you are going to buy your plane there, there's nothing wrong with using the one they've provided. I'll suggest also though that you get an instructor. You've chosen an easy flying plane to start on, but even one session with an instructor will save you hours of frustration by getting your plane setup just right and giving you some pointers on how to perform the basic maneuvers. In addition, you'll also have someone around to hand the plane off to if the wind is stronger than you expected or you just get into an awkward position that you don't know how to get out of.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Sims will give some help in developing reflexes and muscle memory connect with RC flight.  The will not teach you how to fly but they do help.

You really should get an instructor for that.  Will save you broken planes and discouragement.

I tried to teach myself to fly for a year with two broken planes.  Took me 3 weekends with an instructor and I still have the plane.

Tom

Old 06-30-2013, 07:53 AM
opjose

Go to Tower's web site.

You'll be able to purchase Realflight G6.5 for around $160.00 with the discounts.

It includes the Interlink controller saving wear and tear on your real equipment.

As stated the simulator will NOT teach you everything, but it is GREAT for practice and trying things that would crash your plane in real life if not properly done.

You'll find the money for the sim is well spent, especially when you factor in the vast library of high quality user created content. ( note there is a lot of garbage available too, from people who do not know what they are doing or do not put in the effort... )

You'll keep the sim for a long time.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Where are some places to go to get RF user-created files? Are these planes, fields, video enhancements? Thanks!
Old 06-30-2013, 12:24 PM
1320Fastback

Post #3 has the link.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Got it, thanks! Any of the user-created planes stand out?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:50 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Simulator+ instructor + buddy box= flying solo really soon + saves lots of $$$
Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Warjet

Got it, thanks! Any of the user-created planes stand out?
QUITE a number do.

Check out the Ryan STA ( a work of art! ), the A-10, or in our RC arena, the Addiction-X iPas setup with colorscheme... that flies EXACTLY like the real thing.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:12 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying the sim is only part of the equation... you need a computer or laptop with a graphics card and the appropriate power supply. Usually laptops do not have the graphics power to do well on a PC game. If you are already into PC gaming, then you will not incur additional expense. If your laptop is sub $500, it is probably not going to do well. It is possible to turn off some of the graphics options to help things run better.

You might also want to consider Phoenix Flight Sim.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:07 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Since retirement, i've worked part time teaching 6 students per semester to fly at a university. I'm getting computer upgrades this fall, but I've used RealFlight 3.5 for about 5-6 years now. I don't do as much one on one teaching as you would think, but I do select what they fly and the scenario. They learn well. They also learn coax indoor helicopters. I'm a believer in using sims to learn to fly.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 PM
kiwibob72

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Simulator+ instructor + buddy box= flying solo really soon + saves lots of $$$
+1 on that.
View a sim as PART of the learning process, not the be-all-end-all, but by no means useless in aiding in your development. What I find normally (as I'm also in that 'heli' boat), is that Heli guys generally use or like sims and get the most out of them, where very few plane guys actually like or see any value in them. Perhaps this might be a regional thing where I live, but that's just the vibe I get from talking to both sides of the plane/heli coin at my club (since I fly both).
A good sim will save you a few aircraft based from what you can learn from it, just as I can say mine has over the years (especially when talking helis). That said, the first EVER landing I did was forced due to a dead stick motor 15ft up from take off. If it was not for the time I put into my sim, and the constant take off and landings I practiced on it, I would not have got that plane back completely unscratched as I did - THAT is the value with Sims.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 AM
rgburrill

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Remember that every crash on the simulator is free - the same crash on a model will cost a bunch.  How many crashes do you think will pay for that simulator?
But definitely check out used Real Flight sims. 
Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Chucksolo69

I have RealFlight 6.5 and frankly, I don't really see much use for it beyong teaching orientation and deft stick control. I have never had to trim ANY plane in the sim and the lack of depth perception really is a hinderance to any sim. Like stated before, sims do not teach you to fly an RC plane. Yes, they can be useful for the things I mentioned, but beyond that they are pretty limited. Don't fall for the false sense of accomplishment that sims give.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 AM
opjose

While with 3D sims like Realflight you CAN get depth perception with shutter glasses, etc... NOT using this is a big plus.

Lack of depth perception helps novices learn to form that "mental picture" of the location of the plane relative to the runway, and not rely upon visual cues.

While not and end unto themselves... sims DO cut down the amount of time required to learn.

I had a young student, that was so BAD that I was going to suggest he was too young for our training program.

I talked to the boy's father who ended up purchasing Realflight and using it as I told them to...

Two weeks later after playing with the sim, he had no trouble maintaining level flight patterns around the field.

I told them that thanks to the sim and training at the field, he would be a certified pilot in a month or so.

That was two training sessions ago... one more and he'll be ready...

Thanks to the sim I've had people solo and certify on their second time out. You can't beat that degree of success.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:27 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how two people can disagree more on this subject. While I respect your opinion, I find that the sim gives me so much more time on the sticks that it has to make me a better pilot than I would be if it did not exist. I have learned rolling circles, pyro flips and any number of timing maneuvers on the sim. I guess that I do not notice the lack of depth perception that you call out. If the major airlines, DOD pilots and private pilots use simulators, I am glad to join their ranks. It is possible to use the 3D modes of the graphics cards and goggles to see in 3D, but I rarely use it. My depth perception must be different than yours.

More than anything, I don't think some people has the right computer equipment to enjoy the full experience. It is costly, but worth it in my opinion. As I said, I do respect your opinion not to use this tool.

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69
I have RealFlight 6.5 and frankly, I don't really see much use for it beyond teaching orientation and deft stick control. I have never had to trim ANY plane in the sim and the lack of depth perception really is a hindrance to any sim. Like stated before, sims do not teach you to fly an RC plane. Yes, they can be useful for the things I mentioned, but beyond that they are pretty limited. Don't fall for the false sense of accomplishment that sims give.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 PM
BrokenSpoke

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Funny how two people can disagree more on this subject. While I respect your opinion, I find that the sim gives me so much more time on the sticks that it has to make me a better pilot than I would be if it did not exist. I have learned rolling circles, pyro flips and any number of timing maneuvers on the sim. I guess that I do not notice the lack of depth perception that you call out. If the major airlines, DOD pilots and private pilots use simulators, I am glad to join their ranks. It is possible to use the 3D modes of the graphics cards and goggles to see in 3D, but I rarely use it. My depth perception must be different than yours.

More than anything, I don't think some people has the right computer equipment to enjoy the full experience. It is costly, but worth it in my opinion. As I said, I do respect your opinion not to use this tool.
Agreed. Before I even attmpted to fly inverted, I spent a lot of time on RealFlight getting oriented to everything being backwards. Once I was comfortable flying inverted on RealFlight I tried it at the field. I won't tell anyone that it was easy, or that I was super smooth, but I was able to fly figure eights inverted and I did bring my plane back in one piece.

Like an earlier poster said "Remember that every crash on the simulator is free - the same crash on a model will cost a bunch."

Once I was comfortable on the
Old 07-03-2013, 05:09 PM
daddyrabbit1234
My Feedback: (14)

I would suggest an instructor and a buddy box. I took my first lesson 1 month ago and I was able to fly my plane the next day. The first day at the club there was 4 instructors and 4 students. We had a class on basic flight and setup then we moved to the simulator's. I declined to use the simulator and opted to go straight to the flight line. I started buddy boxing with a foam cub using only elevator and rudder and worked my way up through 4 more planes all in that same day while increasing the controls on each one. At the end of the day I worked on how to taxi,take off and land. The next day I flew my own plane. I've had a simulator for over a year that came with my first plane and I have yet to use it and doubt that I ever will.The only thing I could see a sim teaching would be orientation of the plane when flying it. When the plane is coming straight toward me the controls seemed backwards. I said this to my instructor and he said if I started to have trouble when the plane was coming toward me I could just turn my body to face the same way the plane was facing and I would overcome this quickly and it worked.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:32 PM
jetmech05

There just is no substitute for stick time get with an instructor and learn. Not that a sim is not a useful tool it is not a primary trainer
Old 07-08-2013, 12:20 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I've taught by passing the radio, buddy box,and on the sim. I also taught full scale as a CFI in the service. We were taught that full scale students only process the first 8 words you say due to nerves and fear. This illustrates how a new guy feels with a real model. I can teach a student to fly his first electric model flight solo by using RF in class. And, they learn the basic skills way faster and better. But, you have to plan it out with a lot of goals to meet. And, allowing for fun time and crashes eases anxiety.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Dawgman10

I am new to flying RC Planes and am looking forward to buying the Super Cub DSM RTF. I went to the hobby shop and the guy there told me he suggests I get ''Real Flight Simulator 6.5''. This simulator is pretty expensive and I was wondering if there was another good RC Plane Simulator out there that is cheaper. Also, how important it is to master flying on the simulator before you fly a real RC Plane. I tried out the simulator at the shop, and I crashed my plane quite a bit.
Thanks
Hi Dawgman10,

Since almost nobody actually addressed your original question, I thought I'd take a poke at it.

A simulator will help you develop better flying skills more quickly, and you certainly don't have to spend $200 to get a good simulator. Sometimes flying on a simulator will actually seem harder than flying your plane, because it can be difficult to judge where the ground and the landing area are as the camera angle shifts around in the simulator.

The Super Cub DSM RTF is a good choice for learning to fly on your own. A little bit of help from an experienced RC pilot would be a big help for you, as flying a trainer plane on the simulator won't exactly replicate what it's like to fly in real-world conditions with wind, glare from the sun, hazy overcast skies, mosquitos biting you while you're trying to concentrate on your aircraft, etc.

Some of the bargain simulators available are good learning tools:

ClearView RC flight simulator: http://www.rcflightsim.com

Easy Fly 4 RC flight simulator: http://shop.ikarus-usa.com/easyfly-4/

FMS RC flight simulator: http://www.modelsimulator.com/

ClearView is available as a downloadable demo that you can run for 15 minutes or so to test on your PC. A registration key for the full version is $39.99 and updates are freely downloadable. While Clearview's graphics aren't quite as spectacular as the more expensive simulators, the flight modeling and physics are as accurate as any simulator I've flown. The down side to Clearview? You'll need to find a USB controller or transmitter adapter to use with it, and it's a bit of work to configure your control first in Windows Control Panel and then again in the simulator itself. Once you have a controller set up properly, ClearView is a great tool for practice flying and a bargain as well.

Easy Fly 4 is a full-featured flight sim with great graphics and good physics and flight modeling. It's available in prices ranging from $17.40 (limited edition, DVD only) to $99.00 (full version with USB controller), and it's graphics and physics models are the same ones used in the publisher's more expensive AeroFly flight simulators. The limited edition verison with the USB controller included is a steal at only $39.99, and it can be upgraded to the full version later if the user would like more aircraft and more flying venues to choose from. Easy Fly 4 is an excellent product with pricing available for almost any budget.

FMS is short for Free Model Simulator - there is no cost to use it and downloadable models are also available on the Web at no charge. You'll need a controller of some kind, and the graphics and physics are only passable at best. On the other hand, the price is right, and flying FMS will still help a new pilot with flight orientation. Installing FMS can be a bit frustrating, as folks with operating systems newer than Windows XP will also need to track down the d3drm.dll file and install it for the application to have a chance of running. If you don't mind tinkering with your PC a bit to get it running, FMS is a true bargain as it's hard to beat free when it come to pricing.

Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions, and hopefully we can help get you in the air quickly and confidently!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Live Wire

As always! a simulator is what you make it, a tool or a toy and you get what you pay for. I have Realflight and enjoy its features and support.