Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

CADET/KADET

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

CADET/KADET

Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 AM
georgiateddy
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CADET/KADET

I crashed my first solo plane this weekend. I would like to replace it one day. Why? I have no idea......maybe redemption. If anyone knows where to find one let me know.

Several cadets/kadets exist. The pic included is the one I would like to have. Either an ARF, RTF or Kit........does not matter. I just want the plane. One keynote feature is a very large elevator section which stands out. Also the cover is usually transparent.

Thanks,
Teddy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33706.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1899202  
Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CADET/KADET

http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex...ftF.html?E+Sig

John
Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 PM
skylark-flier

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Teddy, what you're after is the famous SIGKadet - in whichever of its size variants you wish. Personally, I've got the original 3-channel Kadet from near 30 years ago and still love it, but the new 4-channel planes are even better from what I've heard.

Take a look-see at http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex...ftF.html?E+Sig - it should help. This page is for the KIT version but there are links on the left side for ARFs and RTFs too.

SHOOT!Going back to check the link I find that it simply sends you to a generic page. HOWEVER, all is not lost. On the left side of that page is a blue box labeled "Catalog order". Click on Aircraft, Kits or ARF, Trainers, Kadet - - you'll find it.

Depending on which engine size you want to use - the Kadet Sr is best with something around a .60, the Seniorita is much smaller (also 3-channel, vs the other versions which are 4-channel) and uses something around a .25 or so. The LT-40 is, at least in my humble opinion, best of the bunch, using something around a .40 - .45. It's the right size, right power, right EFFICIENTuse of your $$$$$$$$$$$'s, and closest to my original version - which, by the way, I also flew successfully on the very first try - TOTALLY BY MYSELF. I've never had the luxury of an instructor to help, just the Kadet, and she does just fine.

It truly is a great "learning" plane.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 PM
mike109

G'day

The Kadet range from Sig are my favourite trainers. The Kadet Senior (and its little sister the Seniorita) are my absolute favourites. Both have to be built from a kit. They fly slowly and are extremely stable and forgiving. They do not have ailerons but I think this is an advantage for some learners. The Senior is available as an ARF and it has ailerons. My favourite Kadet Senior is now about 10 years old and is powered by a Saito 62 though for most of its life it had a Saito 56. This is an extremely good combination.

The LT range (25 and 40 of which I have one of each) are great all around trainers. They have ailerons. My 25 has an Enya 36 four stroke and the 40 has another Saito 62.

There is also a version of the Seniorita with ailerons available from Hobbyking as the Margurita. I have one of these too and love it. It has a 25 size electric motor and a 5000mAh battery which gives it about 40 minutes of flying on one charge. It is very cost effective too. It is very similar to your photo.

I see from Sig's site that they have some new ARF models too.

The only Sig Kadet which I do not really like is the old Kadet Mk 2. It is quite heavily constructed and this makes it less easy to fly as it has to fly faster. Any of the others you will love.

Cheers

Mike in Oz
Old 07-11-2013, 02:13 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 104 Likes on 100 Posts

If you really want a challenge, order plans for the Kadet Jr. It was a true "builders kit" as you had to do some serious shaping when building the cabin front and nose area. I'm building my second, just using the plans as the kit and many of the parts are no longer available
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mike109
G'day
The Kadet range from Sig are my favourite trainers. The Kadet Senior (and its little sister the Seniorita) are my absolute favourites. Both have to be built from a kit. They fly slowly and are extremely stable and forgiving. They do not have ailerons but I think this is an advantage for some learners. The Senior is available as an ARF and it has ailerons. My favourite Kadet Senior is now about 10 years old and is powered by a Saito 62 though for most of its life it had a Saito 56. This is an extremely good combination.
//snip//
Mike in Oz
Way back in the '70s the SIG CADET was THE Trainer. We flew them 3 channel, no buddy cords then, and the "...grab the transmitter..." was the instructor way.
Several years ago on a "buy-out" from one who was selling out I became the owner of a Cadet Seniorita, 3 Channel. After a while I set it up, engine ST 40 from the olden days, and an old Futaba 72mhz as I needed a back-up for a Fun Fly. It was fairly good flying. However I figured some ailerons would help. I cut into the wing for some 10"
+/- barn-door ailerons. What a difference. It is one fine basic trainer. The structure needed some remaking as it was seriously too light for any stress. Actually I did not add enough "remaking" as a strong wind later brought to my attention. [:-]

Recently I was helping a new-to-RC fellow and the wind was really gusting big time. When I landed I cut the engine as the wind was too strong to taxi it. The wind got the last word and from the plane sitting still position, picked up the plane to a couple feet and it rolled over, then fell down on the nose and the entire front end rekitted itself. A couple evenings and all was ready to go again with considerable additional structure around the machine's fuse. from just behind the wing TE and up to through the engine firewall. It really is now even better as it is more stable with a few ounces more weight with the CG still at 25% of MAC. IMO the Seniorita is lacking in adequate structure, simply for safety's sake. Nothing that some extra ply and balsa with some glue and a knife can't fix.

Since then my student has made several complete flights with it. He may well solo this afternoon.

BTW I still suggest that when taxing in a wind, remember the light airplane taxi rules, aileron INTO the wind, and for RC hold some DOWN elevator for trikes and full UP for tail draggers.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

The Kadet Sr. with ailerons made by cutting away half the trailing edge then using the other half forthe aileron, is an ideal trainer. Done this way the aileron is undersized it will roll but not well or much unless rudder is used. This will get the beginner used to using rudder in the turns as it will not turn well without it.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

RC hold some DOWN elevator for trikes and full UP for tail draggers.
And the opposite if the wind is from behind. For some reason this was natural but Irarely think of it with RC.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Any body try the Balsa USA trainer.  Seems similar to the Kadet Sr.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 PM
mike109

G'day

The Balsa USA Student Trainer is intended as a "building trainer" but it does fly well. A friend has recently built one (with an ASP 61 four stroke) and it flies like a Kadet but it not quite so slow and is more complex to build. It is an excellent model for someone wanting to learn to build (the manual is in four volumes!) and it is also nice to fly and is a good trainer for people wanting to move into scale models. I would not suggest it as an beginners flying trainer simply because of its complexity. It would make a great second model though once a beginner was able to fly to some extent.

Cheers

Mike in Oz
Old 07-11-2013, 02:36 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Way back in the '70s the SIG CADET was THE Trainer. We flew them 3 channel, no buddy cords then, and the ''...grab the transmitter...'' was the instructor way.

One of our club members had one that he had on consignment to sell. He brought it to a club show-and-tell, a public event where people came to see what RC flight was about. He had it set up on a buddy box and was putting people up with it. Without exception, everyone that flew it, well, flew it. It's a wonderful trainer, no doubt.

CGr.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 PM
flyingagin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

If you really want a challenge, order plans for the Kadet Jr. It was a true "builders kit" as you had to do some serious shaping when building the cabin front and nose area. I'm building my second, just using the plans as the kit and many of the parts are no longer available
That is how I built my last Kadet Jr. It is my 3rd. I have two sets of plans. They are truly great economical trainers. All of mine were modified for ailerons. That made them fairly sporty. The all would spin like a top and recover easily.
An OS .25 up front and they sip fuel, Will tolerate wind way better than my Kadet SR ever will. I used to wait for the wind to come up before flying them.
Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51651.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1899556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39819.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1899557  
Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 PM
EyeflyRC
My Feedback: (147)

Kadet Senior, 72" wing span, covered in translucent yellow and red Monokote, powered by a superb running Magnum .46 Pro, built from a kit, excellent build, four JR 537 BB servos, (separate servo for nose wheel), Futaba four channel FM,transmitter and seven channel receiver, new NICAD batteries, trimmed and balanced perfectly, only a few flights from new, flies slowly and is stable in the wind, very relaxing to fly sitting in a lawn chair, completely ready to fly. $250. Local pick up in Atlanta. Can send you pictures from my I-phone. Too big to ship. Let me know if you have an interest.
Thanks,
Andrew
Old 07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 104 Likes on 100 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyingagin

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

If you really want a challenge, order plans for the Kadet Jr. It was a true ''builders kit'' as you had to do some serious shaping when building the cabin front and nose area. I'm building my second, just using the plans as the kit and many of the parts are no longer available
That is how I built my last Kadet Jr. It is my 3rd. I have two sets of plans. They are truly great economical trainers. All of mine were modified for ailerons. That made them fairly sporty. The all would spin like a top and recover easily.
An OS .25 up front and they sip fuel, Will tolerate wind way better than my Kadet SR ever will. I used to wait for the wind to come up before flying them.
Ken
Good looking airplane. I'm taking mine a bit further, making a few changes to the wings during the build:
1) removing all the dihedral
2) adding three bay wide ailerons that are 25% of the chord
3) extending the wings one bay at each end to help carry the extra weight of floats
Should be interesting to see how it flies when done