Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New RC Universe

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New RC Universe

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:37 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All right Rodney. So 1 member out of 593,644 is working. Oh Yea!! Progress!!!

Last edited by acerc; 08-11-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
All right Rodney. So 1 member out of 593,644 is working. Oh Yea!! Progress!!!
Do I hear a slight cynicism? ))))
Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 AM
acerc

Turn you're hearing aid up!! I did not think it was slight. LOL
Old 08-11-2013, 11:42 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

more of a stylistic comment and about the functionality of the pages, there doesn't seem to be a return to forum button at the bottom of the thread pages.

so if your reading a thread you have to scroll all the way to the top of the page to either return to the forum(Airplanes) or the subject (Beginners) this should be a easy fix,sure there is a (TOP) button on the bottom of the page but no navigation, this may sound a bit petty but the old forum had this feature and it was handy
Old 08-11-2013, 12:05 PM
kochj

Now I can't look at my posts to see where I was last??
Is there a "posts" board???
It is waayyyyyyy easier to use than trying to sort through the "subscriptions".... as I post, and do not always "subscribe"...
Any help??
Old 08-14-2013, 03:45 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acerc
Turn you're hearing aid up!! I did not think it was slight. LOL
I was looking at your Pitts pictures and found out that if you click once on the picture, the picture gets bigger, and if you click again it gets really big, allowing to see all the details. I like that feature. Will have to try on other threads, but it works great on your pictuires...

Gerry
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 PM
geoardsog5
My Feedback: (31)

I'm posting a reply, just to see if I can post. I guess you could call it a "post test"
My enter key seems to be working. I would like to be able to jump to another forum like you used to be able to do at the bottom of each forum page.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:30 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm getting notification emails to threads I'm not even subscribed to !!!!!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:14 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by geoardsog5
I'm posting a reply, just to see if I can post. I guess you could call it a "post test"
My enter key seems to be working. I would like to be able to jump to another forum like you used to be able to do at the bottom of each forum page.
The programmers have this on their list to get taken care. Right now they are working on the login issues, but once they have that fixed they will be able to tackle more items on their list.

Ken
Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Airplanes400
I'm getting notification emails to threads I'm not even subscribed to !!!!!
This is being worked on as well. We are trying to get the new forums to look and act as much like the old RCU as possible. You should see things like this being taken care of shortly.

Ken
Old 08-15-2013, 07:05 AM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

The new RCU Sucks a big one, my 1 year old could do better with a chewed on crayon, even if it worked perfectly, which it doesn't and probably never will the layout is poor. This feels like we are going back in time, comadore 64 yeah baby.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by erik valdez
The new RCU Sucks a big one, my 1 year old could do better with a chewed on crayon, even if it worked perfectly, which it doesn't and probably never will the layout is poor. This feels like we are going back in time, comadore 64 yeah baby.
you actually picked a pretty good example.. imagine this:
you've got 12 years worth of user information, links, Photos, attachments, etc... on your commodore 64.
you need to get all 12 years worth from that Commodore (who is out of business) onto you new SQL 2012 servers (spread across multiple platforms and geographic locations)
without losing a single photo, thread, or piece of information (I don't imagine a one year old with a chewed up crayon is up to this task).

now imagine you've actually pulled that monumental feat off.....

and someone says 'this (insert colorful phrase meaning 'stinks' here)!!! the little horizontal line doesn't LOOK the same!!
you guys are a bunch of Bozos who have no idea what you are doing!!!'

ya know, you're right... I think we should revert the whole thing... that way when the entire site is down for three weeks, no one will be able to voice their displeasure.

just providing another point of view.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good point! Let's be patient.......
Old 08-15-2013, 09:35 AM
erik valdez

Yes I know, I keep hearing how monumental this task was, NASA is beside themselves on how a hobby forum has accomplished the impossible. I understand what is involved, although I'm no expert for sure. I worked for XEROX who developed a lot of what makes most of this possible. Good work guys (pat on the back) stayed up all night writing code for your TSR80. There are better platforms out there, not owned by the owner of this company.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey! I got in and right to My Forums and could get here direct for the first time since the upgrade. Progress!

Sometimes it takes some trim work - eh RCKen? ;-) Your hard work and tolerance to complaints is appreciated, RCU staff.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Maylon

Log in issue fixed for me. My Forums works fine also. Everything is working faster than the old. Good job. Your work is appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 PM
kwblake

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
you actually picked a pretty good example.. imagine this:
you've got 12 years worth of user information, links, Photos, attachments, etc... on your commodore 64.
you need to get all 12 years worth from that Commodore (who is out of business) onto you new SQL 2012 servers (spread across multiple platforms and geographic locations)
without losing a single photo, thread, or piece of information (I don't imagine a one year old with a chewed up crayon is up to this task).

now imagine you've actually pulled that monumental feat off.....

and someone says 'this (insert colorful phrase meaning 'stinks' here)!!! the little horizontal line doesn't LOOK the same!!
you guys are a bunch of Bozos who have no idea what you are doing!!!'

ya know, you're right... I think we should revert the whole thing... that way when the entire site is down for three weeks, no one will be able to voice their displeasure.

just providing another point of view.
+10 My god,,,,,,, How old are some of you????????? WHaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! Couldn't resist.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Commadore 64 is a late comer to the party. How about the Altair 8800?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait a minute. My Timex Sinclair 1000 takes a while to get set-up
Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You guys all seem to have forgotten the original Radio Shack computer that used a cassette tape player as a storage medium that had no internet capability of any sort or the all-in-one Packard Bell PC that used a 14/28 phone modem, had a 33/66MHz "Turbo" button, a single 5.25" floppy drive and could only use the continuous edge driven paper style dot matrix printer

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-16-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:20 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

After several days I am finally able to view and manage threads and forum subscriptions and notifications. Actually getting the correct notifications, too, and only for the stuff I've subscribed to. To me, considering the "cost" to me of using this forum, this is a helluva bargain. I've been a member since year one or two, seen lots of stuff come and go, and realized a few years ago that I'd best stop the *****in' about something that's free and permits me such easy access to other modelers across interests and locations.

The amount of "white space" per page is a really terrible waste, and my carpal tunnel in my right index finger is worsening daily from all the scrolling.....but considering where this was at a week ago, I'm smilin' now....
Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
You guys all seem to have forgotten the original Radio Shack computer that used a cassette tape player as a storage medium that had no internet capability of any sort or the all-in-one Packard Bell PC that used a 14/28 phone modem, had a 33/66MHz "Turbo" button, a single 5.25" floppy drive and could only use the continuous edge driven paper style dot matrix printer
Hey, the new RCU is just like that now ... It's nostalgia! Like the good 'ole 1950's and Al's Diner (Happy Days).

I'm just going to go back to my workshed and chisel my messages on a rock and throw them to people. That was the caveman's version of email. The Indians have smoke signals, and RCU has vBulletin.

OK, it's really not that bad, but it's funny!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:06 AM
erik valdez

Commadore 64 is a late comer to the party. How about the Altair 8800?
Just where I got revved up, I had a TRS80 as my first machine but the Commodore was like comparing Atari to Colecovision ! The very first code I wrote was a propeller spinning on the screen, imagine that, it looked more like a windmill. Ha those were the days! My key fob has more computing power than those machines!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:10 AM
erik valdez

That sounds like the Adam. the Adam computer was made by Tandy I think.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:18 AM
VUgearhead

Ken, please explain why every post window in a thread has horizontal and vertical scroll bars when viewed with IE (albeit older Ver. 8). Some posts have text windows scrunched up so even a singe line of the poster's text won't be displayed fully! The post should be formatted to show fully (no scroll bars at all).

For me, it's all very awkward and makes reading the forums very difficult. If this is a known issue being worked on, thanks. if not, please forward to the techies for solutions.

Last edited by VUgearhead; 08-16-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.