Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How low should I let my fuel get before I land?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How low should I let my fuel get before I land?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:24 PM
carl24bpool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How low should I let my fuel get before I land?

I've just overhauled all my fuel lines and clunk etc to ensure my engine gets good fuel flow.

I dont seem to get dead sticks anymore but I have had my engine cut twice when my fuel has been low. By low I mean around say `15% left.

At this level it seems that perhaps when I throw the plane around the clunk is perhaps taking up air and leading to a cut out.

What sort of level do people consider safe to fly with as as s minimum? Or what is the rule of thumb?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:39 PM
hookedonrc

For me the only dead sticks I have had have been when I have had fuel line or engine problems. My system is on time only and if there is fuel left so be it. I will use it on the next flight. I find a conservative flight time and time it. You never know when a aborted landing will add to your air time. Once I hit my limit I land even if I have 3-4 minutes of fuel left. Fuel is cheaper than not getting back to the field because I stayed up too long.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:52 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I've never thought much about a rule of thumb, my flying is typically practicing a fixed pattern (F3A) or at least part of a given sequence.
as a result my flights don't usually last more than 10 minutes, and I've usually got 15 minutes in the tank... ( I guess i DO use a rule of thumb... leave 1/3 left in the tank )
now all you need to do is work out how long you've been flying (till dead stick) and knock 5 minutes off.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:57 PM
carl24bpool

Thanks guys. As I thought I've been flying too long between refuelling.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:00 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no rule of thumb at least one that works. Far to many varibles - engine condition, how poorly its tuned or how well its tuned, how much time was spent twiddling around with needle valves, how well the airplane is being flown, do you blast around the sky or do you fly at reduced power settings etc.

What I can suggest though is you do have enough fuel to last as long as your last flight perhaps. precisely the reason I favor geared mechanical fuel pumps so you can count the tunns in and out at the end of every flight thereby developing your own answer.

I would offer however that a conventional tank if truly as low as 15% then I certainly would not be "throwing the airplane around the sky" instead I would be flying smoothly and planning my landing.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 08-12-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:11 PM
carl24bpool

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
There is no rule of thumb at least one that works. Far to many varibles - engine condition, how poorly its tuned or how well its tuned, how much time was spent twiddling around with needle valves, how well the airplane is being flown, do you blast around the sky or do you fly at reduced power settings etc.

What I can suggest though is you do have enough fuel to last as long as your last flight perhaps. precisely the reason I favor geared mechanical fuel pumps so you can count the tunns in and out at the end of every flight thereby developing your own answer.

I would offer however that a conventional tank if truly as low as 15% then I certainly would not be "throwing the airplane around the sky" instead I would be flying smoothly and planning my landing.

John
Wise words that I will adhere to in future.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:34 PM
1320Fastback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of it depends on the type of plane being flown. Seeing how this is in the Beginners I would imagine its a trainer like a Kadet or some other high wing.

If so I would find out how many ounces your tank is and set your timer for 2 minuets less than its volume in minuets. If its a 8 ounce tank I would set timer for 6 minuets, if its a 10 ounce tank I would set timer for 8 minuets.
Another way of estimating is to fill the tank and tie the plane down. Start the engine and run it at full throttle until it stops timing it from the very beginning. Set your timer for 2-3 minuets less. This time cushion will give your at least 2 go arounds should you need them on landing.

Other trainer/gliders like the Dynaflight Butterfly are designed to run dry and then glide down but it does not sound like that is what you are flying.

As you advance and get into more expensive planes or irreplaceable classics you will absolutely never want to dead stick them because of running out of fuel.
The best way is to figure 1 ounce per minute of flying and verify with a tank burned on the ground just to be safe.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like to have enough to circle the pattern a few times when waiting for someone to retrieve an up-ended model or to pick up pieces. So land with at least three minutes of fuel before the klunk sucks air with landing maneuvers.

Nothing worse than running out of fuel in flight and needing to find a ladder tall enough to get the plane down. ;-)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:29 AM
CGRetired

What I have done in the past, and don't do it any longer for obvious reasons (safety is primarilly the reason for stopping the practice) is fly for about 10 minutes then orbit on the approach end of the runway, and allow it to intentionally run out of fuel, then deadstick it in. For obvious reasons, this is not a good idea - you only have one chance to land safely. But, I did get a pretty solid idea as to how long the flight will last on a full tank.

But, many pilots will tell you that after 10 minutes or so, fatigue will usually set that limit and you will be ready to land regardless of fuel capacity at that time.

For practical purposes, I would include some intentional "dead stick" practice landings (but not truly engine off dead-sticks). Pick a spot in the sky and pull the throttle back to idle and then do a good approach. Once satisfied, add throttle and go around, then pick a different spot in the sky and do it again.

That's not necessarily an answer to your question, but definitely something new pilots should practice and old pilots should do occasionally.

Anyway, another method would be to set the plane on a stand and tie it down. Fill the tank, start the engine, run the throttle up to about 3/4 throttle and wait it out until it runs out of fuel, of course, timing the process to see how much time it takes to drain the tank. Subtract about 3 to 5 minutes and go from there. I think you will find that you have more fuel left in the tank after 10 minutes or so than you figured you would.

CGr.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:02 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I'm with CGRetired mostly. I set my timer for 10 minutes, but then I land with anywhere from 20% to 25% left. I've had to wait 5 minutes or so to land when a newbie was having a hard time landing. I had back surgery about 11 years ago and 10 minutes is about my limit. The tingling starts in the leg and after much longer it starts getting numb. I dont like to push it.
Edwin
Old 08-13-2013, 07:19 AM
carl24bpool

Thanks again guys. Plenty of food for thought for me here.

Sometimes I think I get carried away with flying and forget how long I've been up. I'll start using the timer on my TX.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:59 AM
j.duncker

I used to fly a Limbo Dancer with a small tank. I would almost always fly till it ran out of fuel doing all sorts of crazy maneuvers. About 15 seconds before it cut I would usually get a warning cough and would grab a little extra altitude if I was low. I got lots of good deadstick landing practice.

Not something I would recommend but it worked for me.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Edwin

I recently fixed a dead stick problem on my DLE30 in a ziroli stearman. For some reason I put a 10oz tank in it. I guess I got enough time on the test stand. But it didnt leave me enough reserve. And in a down angle spin I guess it gulped some air and killed the engine. Since I put the 16oz back in, and fixed a few other minor issues, no more problems.
Edwin