Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Avistar RTF as trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Avistar RTF as trainer

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:14 PM
zvez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avistar RTF as trainer

So, as posted in another thread, I used to fly RC waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the early/mid 70s. Now later in life I think I'd like to start flying again.

I'm really thinking best to start over as if I've never flown before.

Looking at the avistar RTF http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1469

The reviews seem good on it and platform is well proven, tho this is updated design I believe?

Other thoughts on good trainers. I still have to see about transport space as I've got a fiata 500 which is tiny so it'll be tough carrying a plan with this wingspan, this weekend I'll check out the fit.
Chris
Old 02-04-2014, 03:10 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

With previous flying experience the Avistar would be a good pick. If you were a flier at one time any of the true beginner planes may have you board in a short time. The Avistar is considered an advanced trainer. With it's semi semetrical wing it allows you to go beyond the beginner faze and get into some arobatic flying.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:30 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's as slow and forgiving as a traditional trainer, but it's better in the wind. What's not to like? You'll probably be wanting to move to a sport plane like the Ugly Sticks or 4 Stars soon, and you'd probably do fine going ahead to that if you're going to be working with an instructor. But the Avistar will be a nice step to getting used to flying again.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, + one more on the Avistar. Good pick! Sorry to here you have a Fiat though. Can't help you on that one! Seriously it should fit in with the wing removed, but no passengers at the same time.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:43 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard nothing but good things about the Avistar. I learned on its bigger brother, the Hobbistar. It's a great trainer.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:42 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh yeah.
that's Geoff Barber's review, the video is Geoff filming and me flying. (there was a wicked gusting / varying dead cross wind that day too! only about 10 MPH but gusty)
the airplane flies VERY well, with the flaps it slows to a CRAWL.
it's as easy to fly as any primary trainer and certainly has plenty of aerobatic abilities too!
great airplane.

(it MAY even fit in your fiat )
Old 02-05-2014, 12:00 PM
opjose

Yup, good choice.

- Decent price
- Decent equipment
- Airframe and parts available separately
- Standard setup
- Easy build
- Good instructions
- Often used as club trainers

Buddy box with someone until you get your "legs" again, then go have fun.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:09 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll do fine with the new Avistar .46 Elite. You'll find flying is like riding a bike - you may get rusty but you really don't forget. It's a very honest plane and will do what you want once properly set up.

The Elite though is not the same as the previous Avistar - there are many differences. The new Avistar is larger, faster, lands faster, and I feel does aerobatics much better. It's also equipped with flaps which adds another dimension.

I'm currently flying mine on an Evolution .45 PTS out of an Alpha 40 after the .TT .46 Pro lost the top end pinch. I'm still able to get 500' loops from it. Spins are great and true spins. It starts recovering when the controls are neutralized. Rolls are great and only require a touch of elevator when inverted. The one thing I've found it doesn't like to do is well is stall turns - it requires a lot of opposite aileron to get a clean rotation. I've done all the aerobatics with flaps both retracted and at full extension and found no problems.

Stalls are straight forward but it will let you know when you stall. But you can also feed full up elevator in it, ride a stall down hill and it won't spin unless you force it into a rotation.

For landings you definitely need to make the flaps functional (I also have 10% down elevator mixed in as there is a ballooning if flaps are deployed at higher speeds). I get great nose high landings from mine flaps up or down, but the landing speed is a noticeably higher with a rather long ground roll. I fly off an asphalt runway and consider them a necessity if I don't want to put it down at the end of runway. I can enjoy doing touch-n-go's all day long with this plane.

One drawback I find is the Tactic radio. I know of only one person who flies Tactic, everybody else flies primarily Spektrum/JR & Futaba. I fly mine on Airtronics and have my own buddy box to use for giving instruction. So you may want to consider getting the ARF version and adding your own engine (the OS .55AX would be a great engine for it, and it'll fit with no issues) and radio. Talk to your local club and see what they have for buddy boxes and what they are compatible with.

As far as the Avistar 46 Elite goes, I think its a great flying plane and a lot of fun to fly. I say go for it.

Here's a link to mine when the engine died 2-1/2 min into the maiden flight.

Hogflyer
Old 02-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zvez
So, as posted in another thread, I used to fly RC waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the early/mid 70s. Now later in life I think I'd like to start flying again.

I'm really thinking best to start over as if I've never flown before.

Looking at the avistar RTF http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1469

The reviews seem good on it and platform is well proven, tho this is updated design I believe?
Other thoughts on good trainers. I still have to see about transport space as I've got a fiata 500 which is tiny so it'll be tough carrying a plan with this wingspan, this weekend I'll check out the fit.
Chris
Not to argue with anyone but my take on the new (relatively) Avistar is that it is a great #2 airplane. Several months ago a new guy showed up at the field. We seem to hit it off really good. He had the new Avistar and the Tactic 4 channel radio. Just so happened that I had recently picked up a couple of the 650 Tactic transmitters. The no-cord trainer system is not my cup of tea, but after a while I learned that and he learned to fly. IMO "Hogflyer" is right on. This is a great second model for the guy that wishes to really burn up the sky.
My new friend did very well however the model was fast and quick on the draw. One item is the wing is somewhat heavy and it creates a wing that is very quick. I applied the old fix of moving the ailerons up about 1/8" and that calmed it down to no problem. Usually takes more but just a tad fixed these fast-draw ailerons. Thankfully my new friend was, back in his younger day, a Marine Fighter Pilot and he could LISTEN! Makes for a quick learner. He is now solo qualified.
Back to the model, as Hogflyer states, this Av. "Elite" is NOT the old Avistar we had some 10-15 years ago. It is a fast and quick machine, and I do not recommend it for the average or less newbie. There are some better Trainers still on the market.
Here is a tip for instructing full scale pilots into RC. Tell him/her to first take his left hand and knock that chip off the right shoulder, then the right hand to relocate that chip on the left shoulder. I well remember my first RC Trainer, a German kit, Mufti. (It was much like the old Sweet Stick"). I was a good CL and FF modeler, many trophies. Built that model, and a new Super Tigre .46 with a series Kraft '71 radio (4 wire servos). I went out to a place where RCing was sometimes done. Heck, I was a jet pilot and had been supersonic straight up and straight down. I could do this toy airplane thing. Well after I got it all put back together, I got some help and after about 3 flights of having the transmitter grabbed from my hands, I could actually take-off, bore holes in the sky, and land right side-up, but there were no more chips on the shoulders.

Last edited by Hossfly; 02-08-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:40 PM
zvez

thanks for the input hog and hoss. I'm not sure if my previous rc flying experience back in the early 70s is a help or hindrance. I'll talk it over with the club training guys and get their input, thanks for the info on the tactic radio.

Ya know I always loved to build the kits but just not sure I could dedicate the time needed now. Got lots of irons in the fire. plus having to work too!

Chris
Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 PM
jtsmash

The avistar elite is awesome to start flying again. I bought one after 10 years out of hobby and is great to get back in it. BTW The Tactic 6ch radio it comes with is very good as well. The only thing is to buddy box you need two tactic transmitters because it is a wireless seup fo trainer function. if you can do that or do the old transmitter pass off. i personally knew i was getting more than one plane so i bought a tactic ttx650 computer radiao as well. Very eay to use and every feature that jr or other brands have. Havent had any issues with the tactic systems.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Avistarpilot

I started flying with an avistar(non elite) and joined this forum at about the same time...hence my screen name lol, REAL original. Learned how to fly in high school and have been flying on and off since. Went about 5 yrs without touching the controls and it came back just like riding a bike. Was a bit nervous taking it up after my hiatus but all was good. I'm now 27 and still fly it although I'm interested in finding a good intermediate low wing to add to the hangar. It's a fun plane to leisurely fly around or work the sticks and fly some basic aerobatics.

Id say go with it! Get a trainer with a buddy box if you feel like it but I have a feeling you'll be soloing again in no time.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:31 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a short video a buddy took while I was shooting some touch-n-go's learning how the Avistar 46 Elite lands with full flaps. Full flaps really slow it down and cut the ground roll down considerably. They also allow the plane to sink and make good high AOA apporaches.

Hogflyer
Old 06-06-2014, 12:53 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I wouldn't try talking you out of buying an Avistar Elite to fly while you're getting your thumbs back, particularly if you know you'll have good instructor help on a buddy box while you're getting back into the swing of things. The Tower Hobbies trainer ARF at $99 is a wonderful alternative to consider, however. If you want a true 4-channel primary trainer that will fly nice and slow, the Tower Trainer ARF is a bargain. If you aren't afraid to fly something a little quicker, then go ahead and start with the Avistar Elite. They're both really nice flying planes and there is no wrong choice.

The Sig Kadet LT 40 ARF is also a wonderful choice; at $199.99 it is up to the individual pilot to decide whether or not it is worth the cost of two Tower Hobbies Trainer 40 ARFs. Most pilots who've owned the LT-40 would say that it is.

Good luck and good shopping!