Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I need help with setting up flaps on ultra stick 40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I need help with setting up flaps on ultra stick 40

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:25 AM
rcworld2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with setting up flaps on ultra stick 40

I need help with setting up flaps on ultra stick 40 ok i set it up for just plan old flap not flaperions or what ever they call them. I'm new to flying ive mastered my trainer now i want to move up to this plane.

me and my trainer took it up today and it flys great but as soon as you put the flaps on the planes nose just lifts up. now is this normal?

i have the flaps set on a three way switch off half and full which is 22 degrees per manual.

i use a futaba 8fgh super radio

so what can be done to help this?
Old 05-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is common for a stick to climb with flaps. Just mix in some down elevator with flaps. Go a couple of percent at a time until you get no pitch change with flaps. Check it up high in case things do not go as planned.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:16 AM
rcworld2000

Ok I'll have to read up on how to do the mix
Old 05-24-2014, 10:18 AM
bikerbc

It is very common for a plane to pitch up when flaps are applied . Even with full size you must trim in down elevator. I am not familiar with your radio but there should be a section in your manual that will be on flap set up . It will explain how to mix in some down elevator with the flaps also your flap speed can be slowed down ,that often helps .
Old 05-24-2014, 11:00 AM
rcworld2000

ok i found the page in the maual what do you think is a good percentage to start with the plane lifted up pretty strongly?
Old 05-24-2014, 02:00 PM
bikerbc

I don't know , every plane is different and it depends on your flap settings but I would start at 10 % and see what happens . You should have two flap positions mid and landing so when the flaps are in the landing position you might want 15% . If it pitches down you will want less . That's where slowing your flap speed down helps . When it pitches up or down its not so violent and its much easier to control . You will need to play around with it till you get it where you want it .
Old 05-24-2014, 04:19 PM
rcworld2000

ok I was able to set the flap mix for the landing but I haven't figured out how to set it when on mid.

also how do slow done speed
Old 05-24-2014, 05:09 PM
dumbthumbs

what radio are you using? I have one set up with a DX8, be happy to send it to you. The setup includes flaps,crow, and coupled flaps.Send me a PM if you want it
Old 05-24-2014, 05:13 PM
rcworld2000

futaba 8fg super
Old 05-24-2014, 06:55 PM
bikerbc

Mine is a DX8 too and I am only familiar with how to set it up . The best I can tell you is there should be a section in your manual that covers flap set up . It should tell you how to set your speed and switch selection etc. . I think I have my flaps set to deploy in about 6 seconds . I am reluctant to offer too much advice because there can be a lot of difference in how these radios are programmed and it needs to be done right . One thing I can tell you for sure is don't ever throw your manual away . The Futaba's are supposto be fantastic radios and once you have learned how to programme it you are going to be very happy with it .
Old 05-25-2014, 12:12 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget about flap/elevator mixing and use the servo slow function offered in the transmitter menu. Each servo assigned to a flap can be slowed and matched to the other. I'm using a JR 10X that is ten years old and it offers this option.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:34 AM
rcworld2000

Originally Posted by bikerbc
Mine is a DX8 too and I am only familiar with how to set it up . The best I can tell you is there should be a section in your manual that covers flap set up . It should tell you how to set your speed and switch selection etc. . I think I have my flaps set to deploy in about 6 seconds . I am reluctant to offer too much advice because there can be a lot of difference in how these radios are programmed and it needs to be done right . One thing I can tell you for sure is don't ever throw your manual away . The Futaba's are supposto be fantastic radios and once you have learned how to programme it you are going to be very happy with it .
thanks for all the help guys i will read over the flap section again and see if i can find out how to set the speed.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:21 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can't set flap servo speed with a futaba 8FG super. (unless you use the throttle channel for flaps... something you'd ONLY want to do with an unpowered glider.)

you'll either need to use a programmable servo, put the flaps on a slider/ knob, or do without.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futa...djustment.html

one other thought: although many airplanes will nose up considerably after having deployed the flaps, the tendency is made worse if you don't first slow the airplane down.

(in other words, dumping the flaps while at high speed WILL make the airplane 'baloon' )
Old 05-28-2014, 02:59 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AMA 74894

one other thought: although many airplanes will nose up considerably after having deployed the flaps, the tendency is made worse if you don't first slow the airplane down.

(in other words, dumping the flaps while at high speed WILL make the airplane 'baloon' )
These are the words of wisdom that I've been waiting to read.

If you are going too fast, when flaps are deployed, the airframe will balloon. Before trying anything else, I suggest that the OP slow his model down, and then deploy the flaps. My experience has been that this will cure the problem.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:54 AM
bikerbc

rcworld2000 I apoligize for telling you that your transmitter might have the servo flap speed feature . I just assumed that because my DX8 had it they all probably did . .
Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you can get a servo delay on the 8FG if you use the airbrake function. But slowing down the model first is a good tip.

I hit the CROW on my Hot Stik one time coming in for a low pass when I wanted dual rate. Did a DOWN 90° dive and I recovered just in time to shear off my landing gear! Yippee.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:31 PM
cat5752
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know much about Futabas, but the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick .40 manual has a section on how to program the Futaba 8UA/S for flaps and crow. It is on page 75. Hope this helps.