Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Saito FA 82b throttle linkage problem

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Saito FA 82b throttle linkage problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:58 AM
aquarius36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito FA 82b throttle linkage problem

Hello,

I have a problem connecting my throttle servo to the throttle arm of my Saito 82. I had to reverse the carburator so that now the throttle arm is in the center of the engine.
The distance sideways from the throttle arm to my selfmade plywood arm mounted on the motormount is about 1 inch. I tried to connect the mount arm with the throttle arm with a pushrod bended in a big Z to overcome the distance sideways. However when everything is mounted and i move the throttle servo the throttle arm moves also sideways from idle to WOT.(which is normal) which causes binding in my linkage.

Any ideas how to overcome this in my situation?. Attached is a photo of the setup but without the final linkage between mount arm and throttle arm. I'm desperate because i already spent several hours to figure this out

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	linkage.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	1972192  
Old 02-25-2014, 06:09 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It looks like you could eliminate the wooden arm and just put a Z bend in the throttle pushrod. If that won't work, a hinge mounted to the firewall (preferably toward the bottom to minimize any up/down movement) with a hardwood sheet the width of the gap you are trying to bridge would let you mount a pushrod directly in front of the throttle arm. A pair of ball links would then allow it to move sideways without binding.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any reason not to get rid of the wooden arm and simply put a large 'U' bend in the pushrod?
(literally, just bend the pusrod up, 180 degrees with a largish radius) and use a ball link as jester suggested rather than an ezconnector.
only my opinion, but less 'monkey motion' typically works better and lasts longer.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:34 AM
aquarius36

AMA The problem is that the distance sideways between throttle lever and servo pushrod is about 1 inch. I would have to make a U-turn up and than make another two bends to end up next to the throttle lever. Isn't asking for trouble in the long term and wouldn't i still have binding problems or does a ball link gets rid of that?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:41 AM
aquarius36

AMA The problem is that the distance sideways between throttle lever and servo pushrod is about 1 inch. I would have to make a U-turn up and than make another two bends to end up next to the throttle lever. Isn't asking for trouble in the long term and wouldn't i still have binding problems or does a ball link gets rid of that?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM
aquarius36

I took the plunge and put the servo on the other side (which was a hussle to find a spot next to the tank)) and turned the carb around again. Now my pushrod comes out where the throttle is. Made a U bend in the pushrod and connected it. Everything works like a charm now. Thanks you guys for the tips.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:21 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Ha Ha! We succeeded in overcomplicating the solution to the point where you just broke down and fixed it right to start with. That was our diabolical scheme all along.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:09 AM
aquarius36

That's what friends are for Jester
Old 02-26-2014, 01:49 PM
rlipsett

personally I would have used a cable throttle connection it allows you shift the connection out on linear alignment without binding. you would have had to changed where the pushrod came out but as long as the cable does not travel an extended distance from the guide support the throttle works great. I started using them when I had slight binding in my 3d planes. I only noticed it when doing very minor throttle adjustments in hovering and the cable system worked better