Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Flying at a small town park

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flying at a small town park

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 PM
kevink47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying at a small town park

It's amazing when you start flying at your local park how many people stop to talk to you.I just started flying in May and have had at least a dozen people stop by while I'm flying.One of them being an actual pilot.They are amazed at how quiet the plane is and at how high and far it can go.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:56 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am glad you have found a friendly area to fly.
I hope you can make friends and make the hobby look inviting to new fliers. With the bad stories in the news all the time I hope you can continue on in your park.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:09 PM
kevink47

all the people that have stopped by I either know or know somebody that knows them.they all think it is pretty cool to see.one guy actually thought it was a real plane about to land,but then realized it wasn't.I thought that was funny.people have commented about an interest in the hobby but seem leery.it would be awesome if more would take an interest.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Who knows? This may be the start of a flying club. All of them started at some point just because there was a group of guys who were interested and got together.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:56 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It only takes five guys to charter a new AMA club. And with that new charter comes primary insurance for your
landowner with him as a named primary insured on a rider.

This is a tremendous asset when it comes time to try to obtain permission to fly on a site, any site.

John
Old 08-09-2014, 06:39 AM
kevink47

From talking to some,I think cost and time have a lot to do with starting a hobby.And the other part may be afraid of trying to fly.The whole control thing.One individual used to fly,but got out because of cost and his career devotions
Old 08-09-2014, 07:37 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There has to be an understanding that model planes are a hobby, not a toy. A lot of guys, maybe even the majority of beginners, are looking for a toy. They want to take it out and play with it when they feel like it, and then put it away and not think about it when they don't feel like it. Those guys would do better getting a good quality electric monster truck (not that there's anything wrong with that). But a hobby becomes part of your life, one of the commitments you make. It's much more like golf or fishing or doing artwork. It's something you work at, devote time to, make sacrifices for even. So if you can get a group of 5-10 genuine hobbyists, you can have the start of a good club that will grow and help advance the hobby in your area.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:55 PM
kevink47

Jester you are absolutely right.It does take a commitment and a "love"of the hobby.Some people do try it once and if they don't get the "hang of it" they give up instead of keep trying and saying it's not for me.Then they will never know if it is.I've been giving a lot of thought of the idea of the whole club thing,and I think if I talk enough people i could possibly get something started.I would like to see this grow in my area because there are some guy I think would like to be in this sort of thing