Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Wing Set

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Wing Set

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:14 PM
OrcaBoat3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Set

Hi everyone,

I need a wing for the Hobbico Superstar EP - non-aileron. Anyone have one, or one that matches its configuration?

Thanks very much. I appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:22 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a set on E-bay a couple of weeks ago. I had no interest in them so I didn't put them on my watch list or follow them at all, therefore I don't know if they sold or not. If they didn't sell with that listing, there would be a chance the seller will relist them at some time in the future. You should watch E-bay RC airplane parts for a while on the outside chance they get relisted or another set comes up. Are yours not repairable or what ?
Old 06-21-2015, 03:33 AM
OrcaBoat3

OK, thanks, I'll keep looking. My last wing folded up on itself during my last flight… so I threw it in the trash.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:14 PM
52larry52

The "wing folded up on itself during my last flight"......and you have something left to put a new one on!! How did that happen? Well anyway, I watch the E-bay parts ads quite often, so if I see another wing offered I'll pop back over here to let you know. You should watch too. Still can't believe you have a fuselage left to reuse.

Last edited by 52larry52; 06-22-2015 at 07:08 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 06-21-2015, 04:21 PM
OrcaBoat3

I saw the wing bend upward quite a bit, and the plane became very unstable. For the sake of safety, I brought it down and landed in some bushes. It survived, but the wing was too dangerous to fly again.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:59 PM
52larry52

OrcaBoat3, My friend, you violated a major part of the "modelers creed", you threw something out! Don't you know we are all PACK RATS. That wing wasn't broken or "too dangerous to fly again". It just was "too dangerous to fly again until you fixed it"! You missed a golden opportunity to do "surgery" on a model part that you couldn't possibly do harm to. You were going to throw it out anyway so why not experiment a little with your exacto knife, a saw, and some epoxy to see what you can make out of it. Seriously, what I am suggesting is you could have saved the wing by striping all the covering, going in and reinforcing the weak area of the wing and putting it back into service saving the hunt for a replacement and upping your repair and building skills. It would have been a no cost fun adventure for you. But, too late now if the trash man has picked up the garbage. If the wing had a weak spar it is possible to install a new one right along side the not so good one by cutting a small spot out of each rib just aft of the existing spar and epoxying in a new one. If the center joint was failing, it too could have been repaired then the outside reinforced with fiberglass cloth at the joint. I know you are in the beginners forum but that doesn't matter, fixing these planes is a fact of life when you fly them. The other easy thing to do in a case like this is after the weak part of the wing is repaired before you recover it , fabricate some wing struts for it and install hard mount points for them in the wing and the bottom of the fuselage. Functional wing struts will add a lot of strength to a high wing installation. Just thinking about it as I blab on here..........by any chance is that wing a rubber band on type? maybe the wing didn't actually "fold", it may have lifted off the wing saddle due to weak or too few rubber bands. Any chance that's what happened or did you find actual damage to the wing. Just trying to figure out why this happened. If it is gone you still need a replacement wing.

Last edited by 52larry52; 06-21-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:36 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the you landed the airplane and the center section of the wing is failed then that wing should be subject for a pretty simple addition of a main spar doubler single or front and rear.

This is a classic situation where finding a club is an invaluable asset. You need to network and find an experienced builder for guidance in how to pull off the repair. Most are very happy to help and pay it forward in this fashion.

John
Old 06-22-2015, 10:47 AM
OrcaBoat3

Thanks… I'll remember your advice. I'm not exactly a beginner… kinda somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I'm flying the .46 Nexstar now, as I love a slow and stable flight. But the EP Superstar was my 1st plane and I want to keep it in flying condition. It has seen so much adventure! Stuck in a tree for 3 months, nose-dived into a marsh after an unexpected gust of wind made it roll over several times, etc. Of course, I'm an AMA member now and follow the rules!
Old 06-22-2015, 12:13 PM
bikerbc

You can get by with a wing that is close and even if it has ailerons it would be fine as long as it fits the wing saddle . Being held on with rubber bands makes it a lot easier . I have changed wings a few times and sometimes ended up with a plane that was better than I started out with . I think most of the Hobbico Super Stars had ailerons so if you ended up with a wing that has ailereons the plane will probably fly better . You most likley will have less dihedral because it won't need the self correcting tendancy . I bet one of the guys at your club will have a wing that would work . I know I do . Thats why saving stuff is a good habit to get into .
Old 06-22-2015, 08:35 PM
52larry52

I believe both 3 and 4 channel versions of this discontinued plane had a 48-49" wingspan, much smaller that it's glow powered cousin. Parts are NLA. Graves Hobby in Orlando, Florida still has a new in the box 4 channel "select" (with TX) version in stock. It's $250! I doubt the OP is that attached to his first plane to pop for another at that price, but it's his call. Orcaboat3...If you want one "for old times sake", warm up your checkbook!!
Old 07-13-2015, 05:43 PM
OrcaBoat3

If I wanted to build my own wing, how would i do that?
Old 07-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/browse_plans/index.asp You can find the plans for a similar airplane and just build the wing.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:54 AM
OrcaBoat3

Do you know the dimensions of the wing of the Nexstar Mini? I know the span is 44". But what is the width (front-to-back). The Superstar was 8 3/4 inches. If I can fit the Nexstar wing there, I just might get that.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:56 PM
52larry52

OrcaBoat3, There was a complete NIB Hobbico Superstar EP posted for sale on Ebay last night (Sept 1st) at about 1808 hours. The airframe looked complete and intact, and seemed to have never been assembled or flown. It was a 3 channel without ailerons like yours. It is also the "select" version with motor, servos, and RX installed. The rear battery cover for the TX is missing as are the instructions. Sounds like what you need. Oh, and also the starting price on the auction is $9.98! Check it out !
Old 09-02-2015, 01:04 PM
52larry52

Correction, The starting price on the Superstar EP auction is $9.69. The shipping to me in Georgia would be $28.00, shipping to you would be different (item is in Florida). I will not bid on it and there is no opening bid at this time. Good luck and let me know if you win it.