Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First timer here

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First timer here

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:00 AM
Mixedreef89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First timer here

Hey everybody my names Matt and it's my first time getting into this hoby. Not much of a story to tell for me but when I was younger my dad had a couple of old rc planes that he flew and let me fly a couple of times but that was many years ago. So here's my situation. I was helping a friend go through her grandfather's house after he passed away and he had this I'm guessing old rc plane hanging in the garage. She said I could have it if I wanted it. So I brought it home and now I have no idea what to do from here. Here's what I know (sorry I'm not up to the lingo).

Engine:OS Max FP 40

Receiver:Futaba fp-r127df dual conversion FM 7 channel

Servos:3x Futaba s3004 controlling(throttle,elevator and rudder)

Servos:1x Futaba fp-928 controlling (ailerons)

Battery:Futaba nr-4qb

Sorry for the legnthy post just wanted to try and cover it all. I don't know if any of it still works. Probably going to play it safe and replace all. Can someone help this new guy out.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 01:10 AM
Mixedreef89

Default Pics

Here's some pics of it. I am not fond of the purple and pink but I can change that later. The wingspan measures 5ft and total length is 52 inches

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1462784574321-1714702377.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2161692   Click image for larger version

Name:	1462784648388106509874.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2161693   Click image for larger version

Name:	1462784712363-643637498.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2161694   Click image for larger version

Name:	14627847343051708019336.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2161695   Click image for larger version

Name:	1462784813905920099147.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2161696   Click image for larger version

Name:	1462784835022-37073037.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2161697  
Old 05-09-2016, 03:56 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There are several items of good news there. The plane is a trainer, so it's appropriate for a beginning pilot. The servos and engine aren't too terribly old, so they should be serviceable. So if you will get with an instructor who can trim the plane for you and show you how to fly it you should get a good start in the hobby. You'll probably need to pull the backplate, head, and carburetor off the engine and soak it all in fuel for a few days to loosen the congealed castor that's probably there. The engine should spin very freely, only getting tight as you come up against compression at the top of the piston stroke.

You will need to buy some things though. The receiver you have is 72mhz, which is not used much anymore. It still works as well as it ever did which is pretty well, but if the plane didn't come with a transmitter you'll need to get one. A new 2.4ghz radio set will cost between $150-$300 depending on how much future capability and quality you want to pay for. I know that's a lot, but it's the best single investment we make in this hobby. Choose the brand that your instructor has a buddy box for. Planes come and go, but the radio gear stays with you. You'll need a new receiver battery, and if you fly at a club field, you'll be required to join the club and join the AMA. You'll also need fuel and a fuel pump, an electric starter and battery for it, and a glow driver. It's a good idea to replumb the fuel tank as the silicone tubing is pretty fragile. Expect a $400 initial investment to get you started in the hobby. Then it will be up to you how much it will cost later on as you add planes to your collection. Starting with this plane, assuming it's in good shape, will save you about $300 off the typical cost of getting into RC flying, but it doesn't make it free. You could save a big chunk off of that initial cost by buying a used 72mhz radio that will work with your receiver, but you'll still need to work with an instructor with the costs associated with that. I wouldn't suggest trying to go it alone, as most attempts at that end pretty quickly with disappointment.

So all that's to say if this hobby genuinely interests you and you want to pursue it, you have a head start. But if the idea is to just get this plane in the air to see it fly a few times, you're probably better off starting with a foam park flyer that can take the inevitable bumps that an inexperienced pilot will give it.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:01 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is nothing wrong with using the transmitter and receiver you obtained. 72MHz is still a very useful item and will work very well. You will (at least should) replace the batteries in the transmitter and the one used in the plane for the receiver as batteries that old can be suspect. While getting a nice new 2.4GHz set would be nice, if you are watching your pennies, nothing wrong with the tried and true old dual conversion 72MHz units. If you are insistent on a new system, the best buy for your money right now might be the Tactic TX850 as you can get that with an 8 channel receiver for $159 from Tower Hobbies and additional receivers are quite reasonably priced. What for coupons and save another 10 to 15 bucks. The Tactic will work well with the servos you mention.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:17 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

I totally agree with Jester and Rodney. I would visit your local flying club and see how they might be able to help. For instance, if you showed up at my field: a) I would pull one of my 15 unused 72 Mhz Transmitters and/or Receivers, b) test your battery c) start and tune your engine and hook you up with a buddy-box cord. You would be flying within a few hours or less.

If your Transmitter or receiver batteries are dead, and can't find free or inexpensive radio gear, I would suggest migrating to an inexpensive 2.4Ghz radio like this one. http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...ceiver-spm1000
I'm not sure if the combo listed included a Rx battery pack. These are about $20 http://www.horizonhobby.com/48v-1500...ttery-jsp91030
Feel free to ask as many questions as needed. If you want a free radio, PM me.

Last edited by warhwk; 05-09-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: forgot to include Rodney
Old 05-09-2016, 09:51 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

The suggestions so far are spot on. I don't see in your list of items included that you got a transmitter with it. If that is the case, you will either need to find a used transmitter that matches whatever channel receiver is in the plane or buy a transmitter with channel of your choice and change the crystal in your receiver to match the transmitter or buy a totally new, preferably a 2.4 system, to fly the plane. The airplane itself looks to be pretty well done as far as I can tell from the pics. The pics act really strange when I try to expand them so I cant' tell much. My opinion of the engine is that it will be enough to fly the plane kind of scale like but not enough to really haul it around with much authority. The FP series of engines were wildly contradictory contraptions. While being really easy to start and having a very long life span, they were at the same time very low on brute power. They were very good engines in the proper application and I still have and use a couple of them routinely, but it will have all it can handle in this plane.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:27 AM
Mixedreef89

Wow guys thanks for all the responses. I'll start off with saying no I did not get a transmitter(controller) . I know when I picked it up I flipped the switch on the side and the servos would move ever so slightly so I think the battery still had enough umph to at least the the system on. I pulled the spark plug out of the top and good lord I've never seen one that dirty. But then again I don't know what there supposed to look like after a few flights but to me if it was in a car it would be trash. There's what looks to be like the adjuster valve for the engine is pulled out. I have it but it's not in the engine also when I manually try to open and close the throttle it's stuck(my guess is built up gunk in the engine. I'm not heart set on replacing everything I was just unsure. I don't want to be mid flight and loose it come to find out a servo went bad or engine seized. Yes the plane seems to be very well constructed. I've been around them enough to see some really good builds and some that you wonder how it even takes off(I just don't know anything about the workings of them)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Mixedreef89

[QUOTE=warhwk; If you want a free radio, PM me.[/QUOTE]

I think I'll take you up on that. I'll pm you for more details.

So a battery and charger. Is there a brand preference? I know that's a mixed question(there is no perfect battery) but I don't want to get any of the bad brands. For spending on new parts/toys well this is how I look at it. You make money to spend it. I spent 4 years as an SRA in the Airforce and I spent another 5 in the oil fields. With all that me and my wife have our first home I've got my two babies (99 f250 SD 7.3 and a 2001 f350sd 7.3) two salt water reef tanks and now I'm starting another hobby. Sorry for off subject. I'm really excited to get this plane flying. But I don't want to rush it because with my luck what ever I rush either breaks or doesn't come out right.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:52 AM
warhwk

There are a couple of ways to free the sticky throttle barrel. WD40 or a light penetrating oil would be first. Let it sit for about 30 mins and see if you can work it loose. Alcohol works better, but I would take the carb off first. You don't want to get alcohol inside the engine for very long as it can rust within hours. If those fail, pull the carb and put it into the oven at the lowest setting, and check every 5 mins. The heat will loosen the dried varnish.

If you have a hobby shop nearby, I would pick up some spare propellers. For the OS 40FP on a trainer, see if they have some 11-4 props. I bet it has a 10-6 on it. An 11-4 (11" by 4" pitch) or an 11-5 will keep the speed down for landing and maximize the thrust of the rather anemic 40FP. These are about $5 ea.

You also did not mention if the plane came with a charger for the Tx/Rx. If not, a new radio is looking better for you.

Did you get a glow-plug igniter? You can get a glow plug igniter at your local hobby store or online. I like the ones that take a dry cell battery. Speaking of glow plug, yes, they are black inside. The coil inside the glow plug will glow with the application of 1.2 to 1.5 volts
Old 05-09-2016, 03:17 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

For battery suggestions, the venerable old NiCd is the most durable thing you can get. LiFe is making serious inroads for receiver packs because it is lighter, but for a trainer there's really no concern about that. Grab one of the cheap multi chemistry chargers from HobbyKing for about $30. It will be able to fast charge any battery type you ever use. Just make sure you get one that can cycle because cycle testing is the way we verify our packs to make sure they are still good from time to time. For NiCd brands, you want Sanyo cells with welded construction. Most of the big brands have that, but I get mine from www.hangtimes.com. Go with a 5 cell pack to give your servos a little more power and prevent receiver brownouts in case you go with Spektrum radios.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:56 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re the props yes the 11x 4 is the way to go. Grey Graupner props are the most resistant to damage but Masters are almost as good. Avoid APC props as they are brittle.

I would not be surprised to find the transmitter in your friends house somewhere. If not a suitable used transmitter should be easy to find. Your instructor at the club you join should be able to help you find one. There are a couple of 'gotchas' on channels he can help you avoid.

Get new transmitter and receiver batteries.

Futaba transmitter receiver batteries come with a charger universally known as a 'walwart' This is all you need to begin with. Again there are lots of these around. Charge overnight before you fly. Something I recommend is the use of a simple programmable light timer eg http://www.walmart.com/ip/CJ-Tech-60...Timer/48660160 set it to charge for 1 hour every day. When you come in from flying charge overnight then leave the charger plugged into the timer so it gets a 1 hour top up every day. That way when you go flying your batteries are always topped up.

It is a nice looking plane and should fly well. Tell us how you get along.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Mixedreef89

Wow this is great guys. I'm so thankful for all the help so far. I know I've got a lot to learn. I'm just glad to see everyone helping out. That's what makes hobbies worth it. So I've got a question I know I could Google but I like getting my knowledge straight from the source. How do I tell what prop is on the plane now. Do I need to replace it or would this be a good one to use? And we fished going through the house and we found nothing else for the plane except a spare wheel lol. I have plenty of wall timers from when I first started my reef tanks. Now they sit in a box cause I built a wifi controller for them. So I tore the engine apart today and it looked pretty bad inside. I would take pics but I can't get either of my cameras to adjust to it no matter what light. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Mixedreef89

Also I have another ? Why do I need a 7ch. I've only got 4 servos? Just for future reasons.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:30 PM
JollyPopper

The wall wart referenced has dual circuits in it, one for the receiver and the other for the transmitter. Your tank chargers will not work. As far as why you need seven channels, the answer is that you do not need seven channels for this airplane, but if you intend to have more airplanes in future, you will eventually need more than four channels. The one item in this hobby that will stay with you for a long time is your radio system. Airplanes, engines, etc., will come and go, but your radio will stay with you. This is the single item that you need to get the best you can possibly afford/justify right from the git_go.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:33 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you fly at a club field, you should NOT need to buy a starter and battery soon. That will save you a little money.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Mixedreef89

Hey great news. There's a club about 5 min from my house.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Mixedreef89

So this might be a dumb question but do the servos, Recover have to brand match the transmitter?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:54 PM
wnewbury

Most I've ever used is 5 channels. 4 channel airplanes are VERY common. 7 channel radio is probably a very good radio, with lots of features, even though you may never use all 7 channels.
Servos are servos. Most any brand will work with most any receiver. (Forgetting modern, super high tech, high voltage servos)
Old 05-10-2016, 12:57 PM
wnewbury

2.4 radios: receiver SHOULD brand match the transmitter.
72 FM radios: not so much
Old 05-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Mixedreef89

So I've been sorting through hundreds of transmitters. Some on the very cheap side and some that we'll I don't think I'll ever buy one that equals my house payment lol. I came across a simple one that's not to cheap and not high range either. What do you guys think of flysky. Once I get the hang of this hobby I will upgrade my gear. I understand buy a good one and be done. But if I don't get into it as much as I think I will then I don't want to be out like 3-400 just for a transmitter. I understand this hobby can be pricy. I have reef tanks and that's pricy. I just want to get my feet wet first then dive in.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:24 PM
JollyPopper

You might want to check some reviews on FlySky radios. I understand they are not bringing rave reviews. Two brands that you might also want to check out are FrSky (not to be confused with FlySky) and Tactic, both of which have better reviews, I believe. I don't have personal experience with any of them so check it out before taking this as gospel. One of the radios that I use a lot is Futaba 7C which I would highly recommend and can be bought used on Ebay or RCG for $100 to $150 for a 2.4 version and less for a 72 Mhz version. If you were to buy a used 7C (or any Futaba) in 72 Mhz, you could then buy a crystal for the receiver already in the plane that matches the transmitter. If you chose a 2.4 Ghz system and it did not come with a receiver, you can purchase a FrSky FASST compatible receiver for less than $25.00. I presently have about 15 or so of these receivers and have never had a glitch with any of them, FrSky is making good stuff.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You have many options. I agree with previous posters. If I had to make a suggestion, I would recommend a brand new system ( Tx, Rx, batteries, charger). Even if it only was for one model. I use a Spektrum DX5e for a motorized sailplane and it works just fine. 2.4 ghz I would say would be a high priority. It's getting harder to find receivers for 72 hz. With an airplane you really want "full range" (if you can see it, you can control it). Futaba, Hitec, Spektrum are the big names for me and you cant go wrong. Also, even a low end computer radio can make life so much easier when setting up an airplane. You don't have to get a second mortgage on the house to get a good radio, but do your research and buy what fits your needs. You certainly don't need a high end radio, but you can still can get a good radio.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:05 AM
warhwk

Originally Posted by Mixedreef89
Wow this is great guys. I'm so thankful for all the help so far. I know I've got a lot to learn. I'm just glad to see everyone helping out. That's what makes hobbies worth it. So I've got a question I know I could Google but I like getting my knowledge straight from the source. How do I tell what prop is on the plane now. Do I need to replace it or would this be a good one to use? And we fished going through the house and we found nothing else for the plane except a spare wheel lol. I have plenty of wall timers from when I first started my reef tanks. Now they sit in a box cause I built a wifi controller for them. So I tore the engine apart today and it looked pretty bad inside. I would take pics but I can't get either of my cameras to adjust to it no matter what light. I'll try again tomorrow.
I don't recommend taking engine the apart. Only reason to do that is if you suspect bearing failure or other internal damage. You may introduce air leaks that were fine before the tear down.
The prop size is printed on the outside face behind the prop nut and washer. It might look like 10-06 in fine print. Nothing wrong with a 10-6 on a 40FP. It is a middle-range speed prop. But like myself and others have suggested, an 11-4 will keep the speed down, good for a new pilot. Getting working radio gear and a local instructor are higher priority.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:00 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do check out the Tactic TR850, it can not be beat for reliability, ease of programming, versatility in channel assignment, has 30 model memory, wireless buddy system, plus many more very nice features not available any where else at the asking price if you are insistent on getting a new Transmitter/Receiver system. Now if you are joining a club, it is nice to have the same brand of system that is popular with the club as you can get experienced advice when you run into questions. I know Spectrum's are very popular and are good radios. I have Spectrum's, Futaba's , Hitec, Airtronics, Tactic and Orange along with some Frsky and Orange receivers. All work well and will do the job, you just get more perks and ease of use with the Tactic for 8 channel or less systems.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:44 AM
JollyPopper

I tend to agree with Rodney about the Tactic radio. One of the guys in our group bought one of these last year and we were all really favorably impressed with it. I think it offers more bang for the buck of any radio being offered today. Can you buy a better radio? Certainly. But you will pay considerably more for it. The FrSky Taranis is another good value but it is open source and can be a bit tricky to program.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.