Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Gas engine question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Gas engine question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 04:37 AM
Johnnysplits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas engine question

Hey guys, after being in r/c for almost 40 years, I'm going to try my hand at flying. Have the Phoenix 5 on the way and the Spektrum DX5e Tx. Plan on getting the Eflight Apprentice 15e BNF to start with. Now eventually I want to strictly use gas engines. I've always had large scale cars, trucks, and boats all with very high rpm gas engines. Now my question is after reading some about gas engines for planes, why does it take GALLONS of gas to break in one of these engines? Every gas engine I've used from 23cc to 29cc has fully broken in inside of a 1/2 gallon of gas.

Last edited by Johnnysplits; 08-15-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:52 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It doesn't take multiple gallons of gas to break in a plane engine. 2 tanks through a ringed engine is enough to seat the ring and get it ready to fly. You will see improvement in the power and idling of the engine for the next few tanks though.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by jester_s1
It doesn't take multiple gallons of gas to break in a plane engine. 2 tanks through a ringed engine is enough to seat the ring and get it ready to fly. You will see improvement in the power and idling of the engine for the next few tanks though.
Oh ok. I was getting stumped about it from all that I've been reading. Yes, I can definitely understand how performance would improve over use.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:41 AM
AdamsBro
My Feedback: (14)

In my experience, they are all different. I'm going to agree with jester though, generally speaking after a couple of tanks the engine is running reliably enough to fly, for sure. How long the engine takes to fully break in is questionable. You will notice smoother transitions and more power the more the engine is run, I would presume once improvements in these areas stop, the engine is then considered broken in.

If you compare an airplane engine which runs for 10-12 minutes maybe 3-4 times a day, as compared to say a weed wacker or chain saw which runs sometimes for hours at a time, it may make sense that the airplane engine will take longer as in more days to break in. Just a thought

On to your venture into flying! Welcome, you are going to love it! Good choice on using a simulator and the apprentice is truly a wonderful flying airplane.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by AdamsBro
In my experience, they are all different. I'm going to agree with jester though, generally speaking after a couple of tanks the engine is running reliably enough to fly, for sure. How long the engine takes to fully break in is questionable. You will notice smoother transitions and more power the more the engine is run, I would presume once improvements in these areas stop, the engine is then considered broken in.

If you compare an airplane engine which runs for 10-12 minutes maybe 3-4 times a day, as compared to say a weed wacker or chain saw which runs sometimes for hours at a time, it may make sense that the airplane engine will take longer as in more days to break in. Just a thought

On to your venture into flying! Welcome, you are going to love it! Good choice on using a simulator and the apprentice is truly a wonderful flying airplane.
Thanks AB!
Old 08-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best way is to run a little extra oil then break it in in the air. This way you are varying the throttle up and down with a bit at full throttle. Much better air cooling by flying it.
Lean it out to max rpms then back off until just before it starts to stutter from being rich.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:28 AM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by Flypaper 2
Lean it out to max rpms then back off until just before it starts to stutter from being rich.
That's for glow engines. I've never tuned a gas engine that way. I've done it like this for years...after running a 1/2 gallon through it, run it at WOT, kill engine while holding WOT, bring it in, pull the plug and check the color of the insulator, richen or lean it from there, repeat procedure until the plug is a medium brown color. Done.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Yea, running a gas engine that rich doesn't do anything other than prolong the break in, it's got to reach operating temp. Tune it to max rpm then back it off 2 or 3 hundred, adjust the low end for good transition.

Go fly

Be prepared to tweak the top end as the ring seats
Old 08-28-2016, 06:00 AM
Flypaper 2

I didn't mean run it rich, rich. Just peak it to top rpm , then back it of till you just hear it slow down. It's still in two cycle mode.
Ran a small motor shop for 35 yrs and converted many chainsaw motors for air use.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:35 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most engines "fully" break-in after a gallon or so of fuel and as stated; can then be more precisely tuned with better idle , smoother transition, and higher rpm's.
The smaller displacement abc gassers however do take a very long time to fully break-in. I have several 10cc engines and each one took 2+ gallons before it really came alive and could be finely tuned.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by Flypaper 2
I didn't mean run it rich, rich. Just peak it to top rpm , then back it of till you just hear it slow down. It's still in two cycle mode.
Ran a small motor shop for 35 yrs and converted many chainsaw motors for air use.
I've never tuned an engine like that. I always go by the plug color. Even back in the day when I was drag racing, that's how I adjusted the carb. But if that's what works for you, knock yourself out. Always more than one way to get things done.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:13 PM
Flypaper 2

I guess you don't understand too well. We're talking about engine break in. Once it's broke in, then I go by the colour of the plug.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Johnnysplits

I was originally asking about break in time, not procedure.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:46 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

They all will require a few "tweeks" as they progress, usually minor. There are several folks who fly locally who can not leave the needles alone and they are the ones who have lot's of problems, mostly self induced in my opinion!
When you have it reliable fly until the tune is obviously in need of change, usually leaner in most cases. Fly again until changes are needed again and repeat.........if you feel the need to be constantly tuning then you are over-thinking
the process. Once you find the sweet spot leave it alone. I have large Chainsaws that have gone for years w/o carb settings requiring changes.......... Big Weather changes may alter things a little, but not a great deal.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:54 PM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
They all will require a few "tweeks" as they progress, usually minor. There are several folks who fly locally who can not leave the needles alone and they are the ones who have lot's of problems, mostly self induced in my opinion!
When you have it reliable fly until the tune is obviously in need of change, usually leaner in most cases. Fly again until changes are needed again and repeat.........if you feel the need to be constantly tuning then you are over-thinking
the process. Once you find the sweet spot leave it alone. I have large Chainsaws that have gone for years w/o carb settings requiring changes.......... Big Weather changes may alter things a little, but not a great deal.
After I get the carb adjusted correctly, I use a mixture screw clamp to keep them in place.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:16 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Can if you want, never had a problem if the springs under the needles are good.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:49 PM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Can if you want, never had a problem if the springs under the needles are good.
Well, maybe on the plane engines I wouldn't need the needle clamp being that they turn such low rpm. The engines I've had in various cars and the one in my boat are all in the 18,000 - 19,000 rpm range. Those engines needed the mixture screws either clamped or fitted with short pieces of fuel line to keep them from turning. The springs just weren't enough.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:24 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Think you are good as far as planes go!
Old 08-31-2016, 04:25 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well shoot I thought the subject was about typical airplane gas engines most will never see much more than10,000 and many more a little less in a static ground check when propped with an appropriate flight prop.

These engines are not boat or car racing engines and unlikely to ever see 18, 19000 RPM.

Gizmo-RC is correct the springs work quite well and nothing else is needed.

John
Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
These engines are not boat or car racing engines and unlikely to ever see 18, 19000 RPM
I'm well aware of that sir.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:42 AM
moparbob498

Hey, that's how I used to do my drag car...That's a extremely good way to sat air/fuel perfect