Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Firewall Hole

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Firewall Hole

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 06:21 PM
onyta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Firewall Hole

Why is there a hole in most ARF"s. firewall ( 1" or larger) right in the middle,,,.I have a 30CC Yak, 25% Redwing SBACH, 35CC Escapade.
Ran the SBACH today looking for things to fix, bought 2nd hand, there is a mist of fuel on the inside of the windshield (canopy). Also there are 4 holes
in the bottom of fuse. Maybe to help cool the inside of fuse? Canister muffler-DLE30cc engine(motor). This plane is and always has been on gas not elec.
Can I patch, fill, or otherwise stop-up these holes. If not 'WHY' are they required???????
Also what is the formula or ratio for servo in.fp. tq. to sq.inches of control surface size.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally speaking, the holes are there for the fuel lines to pass through. Fuel /exhaust residue will usually find it`s way past the firewall which is why it`s recommended to coat the wooden surfaces with something fuel-proof. The holes in the bottom may have been added by the previous owner for some other purpose and probably could be filled with wood putty or epoxy.
Also, look up "Radio Control Info" on the web for the proper servo torque application.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:51 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Some tanks have the stopper right in the center of the front of the tank. The hole is there for the stopper to pass through. I have a Hobbico Superstar 60 that is that way for the tank that came with the ARF. If your tank is set up differently, there should be no problem sealing up the hole.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:21 AM
onyta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To flyboy2610 & sticKSLAMMER THANKS U MUCH .....THE SBACH'S TANK IS SEVERAL INCHES FROM THE FIREWALL & THE FUEL LINES ROUTE INTO THE
SIDES NOT INTO THE CENTER(MIDDLE) , BUT THEY COULD............SOMETIMES WHEN U HAVE A MOMENT???????TAKE THE AIR CLEANER FROM YO WEED-
EATER & CRANK & RUN @ FULL WIDE OPEN PEDAL-TO-THE-METAL AND WATCH THE FUEL "FROTHING" FROM THE MOUTH OF THE CARB. THIS IS THE
STUF THAT GETS INTO YO PLANE.
UNLESS SOMEONE KNOWS BETTER I WOULD RECOMEND THAT THIS 'HOLE' ALWAYS BE PLUGED,STOPED-UP, JUST BE CAREFUL BECAUSE ANYTHING
LIKE A SMALL PARTICLE OF WOOD OR WHATEVER YOU PLUG THE HOLE WITH WOULD GO RIGHT INTO THE CARB. IF GIVEN A CHANCE......
IN BUILDING MY G.P. ESCAPADE 30CC I PUT A PIECE OF NYLON SCREEN OVER THE HOLE......REASON BEING, ANY
FORGOTTEN SERVO SCREW(FOR EXAMPLE) LOOSE IN THE INSIDE OF THE FUSE. DIVE THE PLANE AND IT COULD AND WOULD GO INTO THE CARB. & MAYBE GET PAST THE BUTTERFLY
AND FIND THE TOP OF THE PISTON @ 8K RPM. BET THIS HAS HAPPENED TO SOMEONE OUT THERE & THEY NEVER KNEW WHAT BLEW THE ENGINE.
Thanks again from DOORGUNNER1stAIRCAV