Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

help with receiver position?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

help with receiver position?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 07:19 AM
neiluk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with receiver position?

Hi everyone,

I've just started with model aircraft (after a previous brief stint 20 years ago), and would like some advice with positioning my receiver in my trainer if possible?

I've attached three images showing some approximate positions to see what you guys think. I'd make sure that the antennas would be at 90 degrees and I'd slide them into straws to hold them in place.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Neil

Click image for larger version

Name:	BAYXXov.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	2242358

Name:	w2EOzc3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	2242359

Name:	qcguhq6.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	2242360
Old 10-25-2017, 08:06 AM
jetmech05

Default Makes no diff

As far as reception goes it makes little difference. As far as CG goes now here's a problem. You want your CG to be slightly nose down with an empty tank. Adding weight can be done but it's better not to.
So get your CG set and move your receiver and battery around to achieve slightly nose down.
As you fly more you may find you want to move your CG aft a bit..
Old 10-26-2017, 05:04 PM
neiluk

Thanks for your advice!
Old 10-28-2017, 03:18 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use (B) Try not to put your Rx on top of your battery, Jetmech05 is correct as far as placement reception wise but putting it on top of the battery might cause some interference. That Rx is very light and I doubt it will change your CG that much. As a rule, I try not to put my Rx's or antenna's close to anything metal on/near any batteries.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:07 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm going to disagree with the advice to set the CG "slightly nose down" for initial flights. When you mark your CG location per the instructions, if the plane is sitting nose down you know it's forward of that spot but you don't know how much. So a much better route to go is pick that spot and set it level. If you feel the need to go a bit farther forward then pick a spot farther forward and again, set it to be level there. Every trainer ever built will fly nicely at 25% of the MAC, easy enough to calculate with one of the many online CG calculators. Of course, with the rectangular wings of most trainers, you can just measure back 1/4 of the chord and put it there. You could go to 24% if you want it to be more stable in the wind, and 26-27% if you want it to land more smoothly and do aerobatics better.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:10 PM
neiluk

Thanks for your help
Old 11-01-2017, 08:06 AM
jetmech05

Default It's the same thing

Setting slightly nose down or knowing exactly where the CG is all a matter of words.....the airplane will fly and fly well for a beginner. Now remember when you get all done sitting CG exactly you are going to put all that fuel in forward of CG. The plane will still fly well.
He can always adjust CG when he gets more experence