Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Mode 1 or 2

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Mode 1 or 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:28 PM
gosk8ing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mode 1 or 2

Hi all.
First off, apologises for people thinking "not another mode 1 vs 2".
I've researched the net a fair but and all topics are about someone starting out. My situation is a little different.
As I'm in Australia, I started flying RC planes in mode 1 15 years ago.
Then the quad craze started 4 years ago or so. At that time all the cheap Chinese ones were mode 2, so I've only flown quads in mode 2.
I fly quads and planes fairly well on their different modes.
Now comes the issue when I want to consolidate my controller to just one mode. Which one? I've tried both on the quad and the plane and I find each one difficult.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2018, 01:18 PM
MaxSouthoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a kid, I flew Mode 2. Now 50 years later, I've come back to the sport. It's like I've never flown before and I've had to start again.

My club is at Strathalbyn in SA, and almost everyone flies Mode 1, including the instructors.

Mode 2 makes more sense to me, but if I want help - and to fit in, it's Mode 1.

Cheers
Max
Old 03-24-2018, 04:35 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

If your talent isn't up to speed when you maiden a new plane, use what your local Instructors use. That way you can have help. Otherwise, how can we determine what is best for your personal taste and feeling of operation. We have a Mode 1 flyer at our field. He likes the fact that others can't ask him for help, due to him being the odd ball out.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:50 AM
[email protected]

With Mode One you have separation between the two most important controls, pitch and roll. Not so with Mode Two, though the interaction between the two is not noticeable with most airplanes. Look around, you will find more Mode One'rs actually PILOT their airplanes, while a large percentage of Mode Two'ers are actually pointing them.
the most commonly heard reasoning for Mode Two is "That is the way you fly real airplanes". Come on now, flying an R/C airplane is a thing totally different from flying a full scale Cub. Or F-18!
Old 03-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Airhead Phil

GoSk8ing,

The simple answer is, if you are having the problem, you must decide. Other people's responses are just their opinion and won't help you fly either mode. Obviously, if you needed tuition, then you would be better off choosing the mode that your tutor(s) use - unless buddy leads allow the teacher/student transmitters to be on opposing modes (I've never experienced buddy leads myself), in which case I refer you back to my first sentence.

I would also ask, why not have two txs? I keep 2 in my Tx bag (Mpx 3030 and Mpx 4000, if you're interested), one I use for flying smaller models and combat, using a rubber duck antenna (yep, I still fly 35 MHz!) and the other, my bigger and scale stuff - with full length aerial. I don't even need to change model memories when I change aircraft. It's no problem to keep two Txs and nowadays they're relatively cheap. (Long gone are the days when even a mere servo was a week's wages!)

I fly (almost exclusively slope) on mode 2 but believe there is no benefit or detriment to flying either mode. There are champion flyers on both! I even fly with a guy who, when he started flying, used a crappy old 27 MHz RC car Tx with split sticks (mode 1, if you will, but each stick only moved in one axis) because that’s what he had. When he subsequently got hold of a flying wing (a Zagi) he didn't have elevon mixing so he spun the RH stick unit through 90 deg and used both sticks fore 'n' aft, both fwd for pitch down, both back for pitch up and one forward & one back for roll. He's been nick-named "Tank" ever since. He can fly mode 1, mode 2 AND 'tank' mode - I'm jealous of anyone with that level of both flying talent and lateral thinking!

EloyM says, "With Mode One you have separation between the two most important controls, pitch and roll" - IMO that doesn't matter; if you are after precision aerobatics your rudder is just as important as any other control. If you're not, it makes little difference. And top flyers will be top flyers whatever mode they learnt on.

I believe mode 2 is more common, especially in RTF/Tx bundled planes which, if you are interested in that sort of thing, may sway you that way.
Now... the coup de grace in favour of mode 2 as far as I am concerned... if you fly mode 2, you can fly with one thumb - with mode 1, you need to use both. So, all you mode 1 flyers - how the heck do you guys hold your pint?
Old 03-25-2018, 10:35 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Airhead Phil
Now... the coup de grace in favour of mode 2 as far as I am concerned... if you fly mode 2, you can fly with one thumb - with mode 1, you need to use both. So, all you mode 1 flyers - how the heck do you guys hold your pint?
Good point!
Old 03-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
....you will find more Mode One'rs actually PILOT their airplanes, while a large percentage of Mode Two'ers are actually pointing them.
Too funny! Not sure how anyone could develope an attitude regarding mode 1 vs mode 2...I could see a stance regarding “in is on”...but mode 1 vs. mode 2? Too funny.

Kurt
Old 03-31-2018, 07:04 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Do Whatecver you want. It makes no difference as long as it works and you like it.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 PM
tomy2017

you can do what you want.....happy to you
Old 06-03-2018, 02:45 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

QQ flys mode 1 ....think that says it all
BUT
There are guys out there that fly mode 3 & 4
Then there is one guy that taught himself to fly and has a mode all of his own - push the elevator stick forward to go up , pull the stick back to come down ......simple !!
Now remember this bugger also wears socks with his flipflops
Old 06-03-2018, 03:17 PM
MaxSouthoz

Originally Posted by scoeroo
QQ flys mode 1 ....think that says it all
BUT
There are guys out there that fly mode 3 & 4
Then there is one guy that taught himself to fly and has a mode all of his own - push the elevator stick forward to go up , pull the stick back to come down ......simple !!
Now remember this bugger also wears socks with his flipflops
Priceless!
I bet he also tucks his shirt into his underpants.