Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Apprentice STTS or Mini Apprenntice

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Apprentice STTS or Mini Apprenntice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 02:20 PM
Frjeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apprentice STTS or Mini Apprenntice

Newb here looking for first airplane (trainer). I was leaning heavily toward the Mini Apprentice. Now wondering if I would be better off learning and flying the full size Apprentice. If it were all about money, spending less would make sense if they are equal as trainers and equally to be outgrown. But, it does not appear that either are aircraft that I would rapidly outgrow.
I know the larger plane would have greater visibility (important with my 76 year old eyes).
I will be doing all flying at a local club (large grass runway). The full-size (with taller landing gear I presume) might be better on grass.
I like the larger battery ability of the full-size. Is the full-size easier to fly?
With the full-size being nearly twice the RTF weight of the Mini, can I presume the motor and receivers are different?
Transporting the full-size may be a bit more difficult, but with the proper rack I believe it would carry well in my pickup.
So considering the STS is $100 more than the Mini, is buying the full-size a reasonable choice or would I be foolish to spend the extra $100??
Old 03-24-2020, 04:38 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Frjeff
Newb here looking for first airplane (trainer)

I will be doing all flying at a local club (large grass runway).
Welcome Frjeff , reading your post brought to my mind that most clubs I know of will have brand new members get instruction from the club's designated instructor . Since you say you are brand new to this , and will be joining a local club , your best bet is to not spend one dime on anything till you talk to the club officers about joining and the club instructor especially , to get his (or her) input on what trainer they most prefer to teach new flyers with .
Old 03-24-2020, 04:58 PM
Frjeff

Default Excellent Point

Originally Posted by init4fun
Welcome Frjeff , reading your post brought to my mind that most clubs I know of will have brand new members get instruction from the club's designated instructor . Since you say you are brand new to this , and will be joining a local club , your best bet is to not spend one dime on anything till you talk to the club officers about joining and the club instructor especially , to get his (or her) input on what trainer they most prefer to teach new flyers with .
Great input. I will be chatting with the club contact person tomorrow and will hopefully get all of those details and advice.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:21 AM
Frjeff

Originally Posted by Frjeff
Great input. I will be chatting with the club contact person tomorrow and will hopefully get all of those details and advice.
Spoke with club officer this morning and joined.
No need to purchase anything until I am proficient on their high-wing trainers.

Sure glad you gave me the advice you shared!!
Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's great you joined a club. I did the same thing back in December and like you their was a club member that did new training for beginners and I used his plane on the buddy system. It was the perfect way to learn. I have since bought my own Turbo Timber and can fly alone now and I am having a blast!! Well...I'll continue once this virus subsides....Good luck! You just found a new addiction!!
The following users liked this post:
Frjeff (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 08:17 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Since you'll be able to train on club trainers, it probably makes sense to buy a forgiving sport plane instead of a trainer. The best one ever designed is the Ugly Stick, continuously produced since the 60's. It will fly and land just as slowly as a trainer, but handles wind 100 times better. The only downshot for newer pilots is that it doesn't self-correct.

On the topic of size: There is more to it than being easier to see, even though that is definitely part of it. Bigger planes get tossed around less by wind turbulence, they feel slower for the same airspeed due to the scale effect on your perceptions, the bigger wheels do handle bumps on the ground better, and they (at least to me) are easier to work on since they don't have so many tiny and delicate structures.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:32 AM
twest51

Question - having issues

Maybe you can help. Newbie here

I bind my apprentice correctly (bind plug is removed) , but once the bind plug is removed and disconnected form the battery the transmitter is off- total shout down of the model. I turn on the transmitter, connect the battery, turn on the master switch of the plane, and the model (light) still flashing. Not sure why ? I press the bind or switch ** I** for a second or so and the plane now reacts to transmitter inputs ?

Old 03-28-2020, 09:57 AM
jester_s1

Welcome to the forum, twest51. It's generally considered good etiquette in any forum to start your own thread rather than posting your new question into an existing one.

But to offer help- Is it necessary to rebind every time you turn your plane on? Which switch are you talking about that you have to press to get it to work?
Old 03-28-2020, 03:40 PM
twest51

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Welcome to the forum, twest51. It's generally considered good etiquette in any forum to start your own thread rather than posting your new question into an existing one.

But to offer help- Is it necessary to rebind every time you turn your plane on? Which switch are you talking about that you have to press to get it to work?
Sure thing on the etiquette...

switch I , the bind button on the spektrum DX8 2nd gen

Thanks
Old 03-29-2020, 05:41 AM
jester_s1

So it could be a bad receiver. I'd call Horizon service and ask them. They'll probably replace it.