Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New guy in Fort Worth

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New guy in Fort Worth

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 04:43 PM
baleger92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy in Fort Worth

Hey y'all,

I'm from Fort Worth and interested in getting more involved the RC aircraft world. I competed in SAE Aero while in engineering school a few years ago and loved it. I currently have an Apprentice S15e that I have only flown once or twice and crashed one of those times a few years back. Needless to say I need to learn the basics. With the current world situation I may just get RF9 to practice on the computer before I crash again. Just want to say hello and I look forward to learning more about the hobby. Anyone from the area?

Old 04-21-2020, 12:01 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello baleger92...the RF9 would be a good investment and I'm pretty sure that Apprentice is a good plane to learn on. Joining a club is also a great way to learn, get good advice, and probably have an instructor with a buddy box so you don't crash while learning.
I went through that whole process about 6 months ago and it shortened the learning curve a lot and saved me a few planes for sure!! Learning proper set up and how to use exponential, along with other little tricks of the trade that I learned from the experienced flyers has really helped me. If you don't have access to a club and are learning on your own...ask questions!! This forum has sure answered a lot of mine...welcome to the addiction!!
Old 04-21-2020, 02:20 PM
baleger92

Thanks for the info. I plan on joining a local club once we can return to "normal" life. I want to learn from someone rather than struggle with it myself. Plus it's always good to meet people who have the tips and tricks for beginners.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:14 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I live in Lake Worth. Am a member of the Fort Worth Thunderbirds in Benbrook where the SAE contest is hosted. I work the event every time, so we may have crossed paths.
I'd be up for meeting you for some flying. Thunderbird field is open. I need to get out and practice in case any contests get to happen this year anyway.
Pm'ing you my contact info.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:41 AM
baleger92

I was competing at the Lakeland, FL SAE back in 2015. I graduated from LSU. I'll PM you.