Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Receiver 6.0V 2000mAh NiMH

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Receiver 6.0V 2000mAh NiMH

Old 09-15-2020, 02:25 PM
SoCalErv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver 6.0V 2000mAh NiMH

Ok, so the new Spektrum Receiver comes with a 7.4V 2000mAh battery and charger. I am set here.

The plane has a glow driver and receiver battery both 6.0V 2000mAh. I have an old Futaba receiver/transmitter wall plug charger I could use bot searching for a more practical way.

Two Questions:

1. Is a 2000mAh receiver battery big enough for a (7) servo plane? Throttle, two aileron, two elevator, rudder and retracts.
2. What charger is recommended that I can charge and condition the plane batteries?

Old 09-15-2020, 11:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

You need a charger that will cycle your the batteries. A cycling charger will prevent the packs from developing a memory and give you an idea of how long they will last before needing a recharge. There are several out there, just do some research and go from there
Old 09-16-2020, 05:14 AM
rgburrill

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

NiMH memory effect is a myth. OLD NiCds had a memory effect but newer ones not so much. Cycling batteries is important for lithium batteries in order to even out the charge levels You can spend a fortune on battery chargers or you can just buy a cheap one. I use a Dynam SuperMate DC6 I've had for years and use it with LiPos, Lions, NiCds, and NiMhs. I will discharge my NiMhs if I am going to let them sit for 6 moths or so but other than that I do not cycle them. All that does is reduce their life.

Note, my comments are directed toward the average sport flyer. If you are going to be flying expensive jets and monster warbirds please seek out the advice of others who like the spend their money on those - several of them. And they often have power distribution systems that can handle higher voltages. But remember - they spend thousands of dollars, if not tens of thousands, so extra dollars on batteries is no big deal to them It is to me so I have followed the advice of real battery experts. The old newsgroups had more experts who were will to teach. The new forums, not so much. Where is Red Scholfield today? His battery clinic was a wealth of information.
The following users liked this post:
bob_56 (09-23-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:13 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seven servo's with one of them being a retract servo may be a bit much for your battery. I am also concerned about the 7.4 voltage. Most of the common servos are only rated for 6 volts max, hence the packs that came in the plane. Is the retract servo a true retract servo? If it is not, that could be a power drain. Retract servos shut off upon completion of a cycle and a standard servo continues to drain power, especially if the retracts are not set up correctly. Good luck...
Old 09-16-2020, 06:58 PM
SoCalErv

My TIPO. The 7.4 V is the transmitter battery.

My fault.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:31 PM
SoCalErv

Originally Posted by DavidAgar View Post
Seven servo's with one of them being a retract servo may be a bit much for your battery. I am also concerned about the 7.4 voltage. Most of the common servos are only rated for 6 volts max, hence the packs that came in the plane. Is the retract servo a true retract servo? If it is not, that could be a power drain. Retract servos shut off upon completion of a cycle and a standard servo continues to drain power, especially if the retracts are not set up correctly. Good luck...
Correction my receiver battery is 6.0 volts. I will also be adding a SwitchGlo glow driver. Per their website it consumes 4.4 mAh per 10 seconds and takes power from the receiver battery.

Starting to think that the 2000 mAh maybe on the small side?

Your thoughts.