Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Wall Powered AC Motor

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Wall Powered AC Motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 07:51 PM
vincenttheboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wall Powered AC Motor

Hello,

Is it possible to have a setup where an AC motor (Ex. QF2827 2600KV Brushless Motor) is powered by a 110v wall outlet instead of going through an ESC controller and a battery?

I'm looking to build a test stand for one or more motors where there will be a switch to spin the motor 100% forward, 50% forward, 50% reverse, and 100% reverse.
Since the wall outlet is already AC, I imagine all I need is a single-phase variable speed controller, but all I can find are industrial controllers.

Is my solution too simple?
Does anyone know of any product that might work for me?

Thank you,
Vincent
Old 04-12-2021, 01:53 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenttheboy
Hello,

Is it possible to have a setup where an AC motor (Ex. QF2827 2600KV Brushless Motor) is powered by a 110v wall outlet instead of going through an ESC controller and a battery?

I'm looking to build a test stand for one or more motors where there will be a switch to spin the motor 100% forward, 50% forward, 50% reverse, and 100% reverse.
Since the wall outlet is already AC, I imagine all I need is a single-phase variable speed controller, but all I can find are industrial controllers.

Is my solution too simple?
Does anyone know of any product that might work for me?

Thank you,
Vincent
Hi Vincent, Yes your solution is far too simple, and what your missing is that while your wall is single phase, the motors you want to test are three phase. In normal hobby use the ESC converts the DC from the battery to three phase for the motor, so without the ESC you'd need another type of three phase converter along with a means to reduce the wall's 110 volts to an acceptable level for the motor.

Stick with using an ESC and a servo tester to signal the ESC, and power it with a simple AC to DC power supply unless your really bent on reinventing the wheel ........