Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
oil problem >

oil problem

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

oil problem

Old 04-16-2021, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil problem

hi
i have a twin engine mosquito and oil is collecting in the manifold of one of them and the other engine there is no oil
collecting in the manifold but the oil is dripping out of the prop shaft so it must be collecting in the engine itself is their
something wrong with the engine,as im led to believe its ok for oil to collect in the manifold-kind regards-the kum
Old 04-23-2021, 04:16 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming these are typical RC 2 or 4 stroke engines, the fuel contains some 18% oil give or take. Very little if any of the oil burns. Therefore it has to go somewhere. So what doesn't get blown out the exhaust tends to find the low places to collect. Inside the muffler typically gets a bit which you dump out by pointing the model up. And the bottom of the crank case is another popular spot which can leak out the front bearing if they're not sealed. If they are sealed and they leak you may need a new bearing. As long as the engine performs as it should and it's not gushing oil from these places then there's no real reason to worry. Some engines simply leak in more places than others. At least you know they're getting well lubricated.

Then again you never said how much oil you're finding in these places. Nor the make and model of the engines, how they're mounted (upright, inverted, etc.) and fuel being used.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:37 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

With the limited information it could be as simple as the one engine that is dripping has the fuel tank installed too high. This would allow fuel to siphon into the engine. Other options would be the engine is not adjusted correctly ( too rich ) or the other one is adjusted too lean. More specific information would be helpful.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi thanks for the reply
the engines are ABC-sc61 two stroke and mounted upside down because of the cowls on a seagull mosquito, the fuel is liquid gold
20% castor and synth with 5% nitro,its just one engine i was worried about as no oil was in the muffler,the fuel tanks are set fine as
per instructions-kind regards the kum
Old 04-25-2021, 11:53 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Are the engines new? It could be that one is breaking in a bit better then the other one due to manufacturing tolerances. Are you tuning them by ear or using a tachometer? I did look up some pictures, it appears that if the tanks are mounted at the very bottom of the engine nacelles you would be fine. Unfortunately you can't always count on the ARF manufacturers to get everything right.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kumkumking
hi
i have a twin engine mosquito and oil is collecting in the manifold of one of them and the other engine there is no oil
collecting in the manifold but the oil is dripping out of the prop shaft so it must be collecting in the engine itself is their
something wrong with the engine,as im led to believe its ok for oil to collect in the manifold-kind regards-the kum
Hi!
Leaking fuel/oil through the front bearing is normal for all glow engines and is nothing to worry about.

Last edited by jaka54; 05-05-2021 at 01:47 AM.