Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How much land ?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How much land ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 09:01 AM
cafguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much land ?

Hello forum, really love this place for info and as a builder I am constantly improving my skills everyday just by reading the great posts but I also love to fly and although Im no capt. Sully I consider myself not to half bad when it comes to scooting around in the air. My problem is Flying clubs there are a few in my area ( probably much more than most people have) but none seem really open to getting any new members not that they are not friendly--- They are. and not that they are egotistical or unhelpful, Every member of these clubs that I talked too seemed very inviting and helpful. It just seems that when I would go to check the flying field out I usually end up getting a talk about all the cons of joining the club and none of the Pros maybe these clubs have been burned by too many newbies causing problems, not sure So anyway on to the question as stated to fly my planes how much land in acres would be say the minimum. thanx in advance
Old 08-29-2022, 09:12 AM
N8theSk8

I am sorry you have had that experience. But the size of land would depend on the size of plane you are flying but here are the ama guidelines:

Suggested%20Flying%20Site%20Specifications.pdf
Old 08-29-2022, 09:32 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are in the USA check out the FAA website and the FAA Recognized identification Areas (FRIA) before you invest in property to fly anything weighing more than 0.55 pounds over. It may be against the law in 2023.

We are about to be forced to either join recognized clubs and fly only there or else invest in new Remote ID devices or Tx/Rx that broadcast altitude and Lat/Lon data. Devices yet to be designed or available.

Hopefully this will die from poor practical forethought - like the other impractical idea of micro stamping cartridges with an ID number when firing a gun that almost became a law.

Last edited by Charlie P.; 08-29-2022 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:52 AM
cafguy

yes I live in So California so I will defiantly check the faa website thanx and the rules for flying are getting ridiculous I must agree
Old 08-30-2022, 03:43 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

SoCal is becoming one big city so with residents complaining about noise and idiots with quads, and golf clubs taking over flying fields filed are being lost.

And with residents complaining about noise and idiots with quads (I know, I repeat myself) Congress is the one who forced the FAA to some up with those "ridiculous" rules.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:00 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by N8theSk8
I am sorry you have had that experience. But the size of land would depend on the size of plane you are flying but here are the ama guidelines:

Attachment 2272185
The AMA recommends 25 acres for a small aircraft flying filed and 57 for a sport airplane flying field? That's a farm. Or a lot of homes.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:09 AM
N8theSk8

Yeah it's the flyover that takes the space and gives folks a "safe" feeling. We have a field here in a Park and supposedly you can fly up to a .60 size but its a really tight box with the rules in place and neighbors that have been trying to shut down the club since it was proposed. The field buts up to a neighbor city so you can't fly "over" the trees, then there is a a telephone line at one end which you are not supposed to fly over, and at the other end there is a lake/pond you can't fly over. The neighbors say the planes will hit someone or their house. All potential things that can happen but having airspace not over houses or people will make the site last longer. At this club the neighbors stand at the borders, take pictures of you flying over and file complaints with the city. You also have to be under 85db. That's the main reason I no longer fly there and not in the club. They probably should just go to electric smaller aircraft only.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:37 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Try flying jets

Try flying turbines with the lack of turbine friendly fields. And the fields that allow turbines, there are those members who feel we shouldn’t be there. Our minimum recommended AMA fly over area is 5000’ x 2000’, which equals 229.6 acres. So, a lot of space. Here in Florida, we are flying on smaller and smaller fields. Land has become so valuable that most of the flying fields are on the land of dumps, water treatment plants, and other government land, state, county and city.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:54 PM
cafguy

thanks for all the replies Yes So cal is slowly becoming harder for rc guys but there are 3 "out of the way of people" flying clubs in my area within short drive time, however I find it a shame that these clubs have to be leary of new members at the same time trying to get more. I really think this has alot to do with the fact that flying r/c has become so much more easier than it was when i started I have nothing at all against ARF's in fact I have a few of my own that fly great (if you ever look under the covering you will find they are very stingy with glue when they put them together though) but since little rich jonnie with no experience whatsoever can now walk into a hobby store and buy a 1/4 scale aerobatic and go out and try to teach themselves to fly I think a lot more "incidents" have been happening but that's just my opinion
By the way I am in Bakersfield and if you have an rc club I would love to join I am a old guy now 57 builder of most of my planes i love the feeling i get when something i built from sticks takes to the air also i am a military vet and I can be trusted with a gate keyThanks again guys

Last edited by cafguy; 08-30-2022 at 06:08 PM.