Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trying to get back in the saddle

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trying to get back in the saddle

Old 12-24-2022, 02:23 PM
scale2scale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to get back in the saddle

Well after a couple decades, a stroke and other life nuances that took me away from RC I'm finally ready to get airborne again, but a lot has changed over time and so that's why I'm posting as a newbie. Only thing I've done recently is high speed land RC. A lot I've forgotten in the air venue and a lot has changed. The electric capabilities back when I was in the flying field were nothing compared to now and I'd like to go that route. My main flyers were heli's but I also tinkered with airplanes towards the end. I think that's what I want to continue to go forward with at this point. I've had a NIB hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane 95" WS stashed in the attic for many years and though I'd like to eventually get it down and power it up I want to start out with something a tad more malleable. I like big and have eyes for the FMS Beaver V2. Since Im otherwise surrounded by forest but live on a huge lake I want to just go ahead and jump into float flying and the Beaver seems to be a stable water flyer. Since I don't really have money trees readily growing where I live I don't want to exceed around the $800 dollar range for now. So with the Beaver PNP ARF at around $460, optional float set at about $115, decent 6s batteries not cheap, I'm looking at a minimum requirement yet good value rx/tx combo. Ideally I believe horizon hobby recommends the spektrum 6ch system but that puts me well over budget and I just don't feel like eating ramen noodles for the next 6 months. The flysky i6x at around 70bucks is definitely a money saver. But I don't believe that the safe feature is going to work with that system. Also looking at a used FrSky Taranis X9D Plus in a used model for around a hund. Oh well I guess that's about it for now. Any and all recommendations and advice would be awesomely appreciated. I just don't want to sink a lot into a trainer right now because I want to be able to bring down my hangar 9 Cess before too long and go with electric on it. And it's not going to be cheap. I've already priced the e flite 160 power motor, esc, servos, custom floats, and everything else. That's something I'll just have to maybe have to consume a few ramen noodle meals to achieve lol 😆.
JD