Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Servo Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Servo Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 05:38 PM
Bigdipper99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Servo Question

I'm in the process of building a Sig Kadet Mark ii kit and am well along in its construction but have run into a problem with the servos I'm trying to use. I have an older Futaba Conquest radio set up that I got for short money at a recent flea market. The radio set came with three S-148 servos that are functional but I'm going to need five servos ( Aileron, elevator, rudder, throttle, landing gear) to get my build in the air. I have several additional S-148s plus a receiver that I was given. The additional S-148s, as they operate on a different frequency than my radio and other servos, do not work and I was wondering if there is any way I can get a couple of these spares operational and incorporate them into the build?
Old 05-05-2023, 03:03 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure what you mean by (servos operate on different frequency) should work the same from servo to servo??
Old 05-05-2023, 08:45 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Any of the standard Futaba servos ought to work just fine with your receiver. If it happens that the additional servos are dead (it happens sometimes) most of the standard Futaba servos should work. Actually most standard servos will work but be careful, I think it's Airtronics servos that have a different pin out. The Kadet isn't that picky about servos but you will want to use the same servo on both ailerons. Assuming that your second receiver is compatible with the Conquest transmitter you can probably find the correct receiver crystal on ebay. I have found that a cheap servo tester is a great tool to have when sorting through the Big Bag of Old Servos.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:52 PM
Bigdipper99

Thanks, Being really new at this, I wasn't sure if a servo from one radio set would work with another. I have some servos from the second set that don't work. I didn't know there was a servo tester available....that will be my next E-bay purchase.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:54 PM
Bigdipper99

Thanks for the response. My ignorance of the subject and a couple of apparently broken servos made me unsure as to whether a servo from one radio set would work with a different receiver.
Old 05-06-2023, 06:46 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigdipper99
Thanks for the response. My ignorance of the subject and a couple of apparently broken servos made me unsure as to whether a servo from one radio set would work with a different receiver.
We all have to start someplace. The Harry Higley modeling books such as "There are No Secrets" are pretty helpful. I think you can still get them through the AMA or adds in Model Airplane News.
Old 05-13-2023, 05:03 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The RCM Flight Training Course book put out by RC Modeler has lots of great info about building the your first plane, properly installing the radio and engine and learning to fly. A great resource that is still relevant today despite being almost 50 yrs.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:49 PM
jaka54

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

And you only need four servos.
1. Aileron
2. Side rudder
3. Throttle
4. Elevator
Old 08-16-2023, 12:00 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Jaka54 is right. Most planes hook the rudder and nose gear to the same servo.

David