Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

advice on beginner plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

advice on beginner plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 10:36 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
LOL, and to my point, something that could have been easily ignored. Fact remains that you spend more time talking about your hobby then actually doing your hobby.
And to my point, "Since 2012, 65 to 75% of my posts have been made during slow periods and breaks while I've been at work, including this one". Then again, both of your posts were nothing more than something to "egg me on" and were, therefore, a waste of both our time.
Old 10-26-2023, 11:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Move along please
The following users liked this post:
Propworn (10-29-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 12:06 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Suffering from last word itis me thinks
Old 10-28-2023, 04:02 PM
shortround91

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don’t belong to or fly at a club self taught yes yes I have crashed many times. Not my flying but no depth perception due to a eye injury, I personally started with the FMS Ranger 1220 in a RTF, have since upgraded to a Spektrum transmitter replaced the ailerons etc with real hinges after many many flights crashes again can’t get depth so I can’t tell how close of far a tree bush etc is very well. The Ranger says to use a 3s 1300 but I use a 3s 2200 Spektrum smart batt and get 5-7 on the 1300 and 12-15 on the 2200’s. The plane is just hard have hit power wires trees all kinds of things the only break was a servo gear strip and bent the front landing gear spring. Like $20 later back in the skies and have moved up to the Elfite Trojan 1.1 BNF. I like it so much I actually bought 2!! The Ranger also comes with floats if you have the area did that or desire, definitely think joining a club is important but not all of us live in areas that RC is very popular. Keep the plane on safe learn to take off us your ailerons elevators then I started using my rudder. I now weather permitting fly atleast 6-12 flights daily nice being retired. Here’s a pic of the Ranger nice mid size and $220 in the RTF package
Old 11-02-2023, 09:31 AM
davecairns

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am loving the 1.1m Ultra Stick ARF from E-Flite. It is simple, flies great and is so light it recovers from any awkward position I fly it into. I already owned a Spektrum NX6 radio, so just adding a generic DSMX receiver, motor/ESC, servos, battery it was good to go.

Last edited by davecairns; 11-02-2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:01 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by shortround91
I don’t belong to or fly at a club self taught yes yes I have crashed many times. Not my flying but no depth perception due to a eye injury, I personally started with the FMS Ranger 1220 in a RTF, have since upgraded to a Spektrum transmitter replaced the ailerons etc with real hinges after many many flights crashes again can’t get depth so I can’t tell how close of far a tree bush etc is very well. The Ranger says to use a 3s 1300 but I use a 3s 2200 Spektrum smart batt and get 5-7 on the 1300 and 12-15 on the 2200’s. The plane is just hard have hit power wires trees all kinds of things the only break was a servo gear strip and bent the front landing gear spring. Like $20 later back in the skies and have moved up to the Elfite Trojan 1.1 BNF. I like it so much I actually bought 2!! The Ranger also comes with floats if you have the area did that or desire, definitely think joining a club is important but not all of us live in areas that RC is very popular. Keep the plane on safe learn to take off us your ailerons elevators then I started using my rudder. I now weather permitting fly atleast 6-12 flights daily nice being retired. Here’s a pic of the Ranger nice mid size and $220 in the RTF package
I have instructed a few with depth perception issues over the many years I have been flying. I found what works best is to have the student or pilot learn on landing to fly directly at himself keeping a separation of plane and ground including trees, shrubbery, tall grass and crops. When flying around the patch also keep that separation between the plane and anything out there. Don't get tempted at distance to fly below tree level. Do your low passes over the field. By separation, I mean you should if possible see some sky between the ground clutter and your model.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default For Fun - Building models

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 11-07-2023 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:13 AM
VINCENT AERIAL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

start frm playing simulator on computer, then go get a RFT plane. Cheaper and easier to fly for beginner.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:45 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The initial post requested recommendations for a good beginner RC airplane. Answer: HobbyZone Aeroscout S2 (1.1 meter wingspan) Ready to Fly with Spektrum DXs transmitter ($200 from Hobbytown, Horizon Hobby and some others). Find a good club instructor with a wireless-trainer-capable Spektrum transmitter and use the DXs as the buddy box. The Aeroscout's pusher prop configuration will save a bunch of prop strikes and subsequent motor damage while learning how to land. It is also suitable for learning moderate aerobatics later on and it will take longer to outgrow as you gain experience. The AS3X (Assisted Stability -3 aXis) receiver allows the Aeroscout to handle windy/gusty conditions quite well. Its large tricycle gear works very well on grass runways. It is also easy to hand launch if needed. The E-Flite Apprentice is also a good trainer, is larger and looks nicer, but it costs $150 more, is not as aerobatic as the Aeroscout, uses larger (more expensive batteries) and being heavier, it hits harder and hurts worse when it crashes. The Aeroscout S2 looks rather homely, but I believe it is the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:28 AM
SIX GUNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to bad that sig is not around you could get a sig senior they are one of the best flying and training planes out there but if space is a problem then the senioreta
its a smaller plane and flys great