Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Servo lead problem

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Servo lead problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 06:23 AM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo lead problem

I hope somebody can help me with this problem. I am at the end of a 1/4 scale sig cub build and am trying to find out what plastic or aluminum even cardboard tubing I can use, and where i can buy it, to put into the 1/2 in rib holes so I can run the servo leads through. Once the wing gets covered it would be a nightmare to try and get the leads threw if I ever needed to replace them. I know about tying a string or wire and threading it threw method but this is a long wing! This tubing should be as light as possible, obviously, and is proving very difficult to find. I have tried Home Depot, Lowes, Rona and many other places. They all have 1/2 in aluminum tubing only problem is the inside diameter is too thick and the servo leads will not pass through. I live in Erin Ont any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:00 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I use this stuff, sometimes:

https://www.sonictronics.us/building...ies/con-do-it/

Not sure if they ship to Canada.

Per the item description: Con-Do-It is a clear plastic PVC tube that has been designed for modelers. Con-Do-It has an inside diameter of .50 inches with a thin .023 inch wall

It appears that the O.D. is 0.50 + (2 x 0.023) = 0.546, so you would have to enlarge your wing holes slightly.

Decades ago, we used to use empty giant Pixie Stix plastic straws for wire conduit, but they apparently are no longer made in a large enough diameter.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:13 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I just roll up a piece of paper.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:53 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

rgburrill is absolutely correct. The tube does not carry any load and does not need to be strong. It only functions as a servo lead guide. Cut a strip of brown packing paper the length of the wing panel and about 5" wide. Roll it tightly around a 3/8"dowel to form a tube. Slide the dowel and paper tube into the wing and then let the tube "unwind" and remove the dowel. This method works even if you have already covered the wing.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:16 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

All these years I've gotten by with just a thin string with a small lead fishing weight on the end. Tip the wing up vertical and let good ol gravity do the work as you feed the string in.
Old 01-21-2024, 12:31 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rather than the string/weight method I use bead chain. Feed it into the wing root and it will find its way like magic.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:09 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I just roll up a piece of paper.
Yeap,, then wick in some thin CA to stiffen it up and you have a fiber reinforced plastic tube
Old 01-27-2024, 10:37 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I just install a pull string while building.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:32 PM
jaka54

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

String metode is what I use!