Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Maiden flight with Apprentice STS question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Maiden flight with Apprentice STS question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 03:11 PM
Letsroll...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden flight with Apprentice STS question

After logging hours on the SIM I decided to give it a go today. But I should’ve followed my gut and held off because I had a 7 to 10 mph or better crosswind and not a way to really take off into the wind. Done ok for the most part. Big learning curve, that wind was giving me issues. Did not want to come down had to flip it off safe to try to land. I quickly learned I would have an issue landing on the rural road with the crosswind decided to set it down and the not so smooth field. But I didn’t think to change directions into the wind since landing in field anyway and fought the crosswind. Caught a wheel or a wing I couldn’t tell from where I was standing but it cart wheeled. No damage I don’t believe, wing was a little crooked laying upstairs down. One wing on the back side under the plastic sleeve for the rubber bands, got pushed in slightly from the force. Figured I would use a couple pieces of tape under the plastic to bring it back out. But because I’m thoroughly looking it over, I noticed the prop motor looks angled. I know how that is, You don’t look at something very well until your looking for damage. It may have been this way brand new. The plastic right behind the prop is designed and angled same way the prop is going. But the angle of the prop is not aligned perfectly straight. is this by design does anyone have one they can look at or snap a pic of one?
Old 12-23-2023, 05:50 PM
Letsroll...

I believe my problem with the flight was I had left it in low rates, while having that wind. Especially on the safe modes. That's why I switched from the safe modes but it did not give me as much maneuverability as what I was expecting, from flying the Sim. A lot of rookie mistakes I made but I wish I would have thought to flip it to high rates. Would have gave me a much better chance at getting control that I needed.
Had it do over again, I would flip to high rates and go around again, come into the wind for the landing and just use the field as an option. May have been able to land on the road as I intended with the crosswind and the high rates. Who knows, but it was a lesson learn and a productive flight in that sense.
High rates, more throttle once out of SAFE and fly it in!
Old 12-23-2023, 09:56 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Letsroll...
The plastic right behind the prop is designed and angled same way the prop is going. But the angle of the prop is not aligned perfectly straight. is this by design does anyone have one they can look at or snap a pic of one?
I also saw your other post about the flight over in your Real Flight thread.

I don't have one, but looked at the pictures on the HH web site. It does have the motor pointing down. This is very common on high wing, flat-bottom airfoil, trainer type aircraft. It helps, to some extent, to reduce the difference in climb between part throttle and full throttle. The motor also points a little to the right when viewed from the top. Also very common to correct for yaw induced by the spinning prop.
If Real Flight is accurate, the motor points 3.5 degrees down, and 1 degree right. The wing actually tips up 1 degree, so with the bottom of the wing level, the motor will appear to be pointing down by 4.5 degrees - a pretty noticeable amount. If no sign of anything bent or loose in the front, it will be fine. Make sure the motor is firmly attached to the plane when you grab it by the prop/spinner and try to wiggle it. Sometimes, after a less than stellar landing, the mount for the motor can crack. But you should be able to feel any resulting looseness.

Real Flight is great for those windy days - you can set wind direction, speed, and amount of gusts, to get an idea of what to do in less than perfect conditions.
Old 12-24-2023, 05:16 AM
Letsroll...

Thank you, yes I did read that after posting this, and you’re exactly right it points down and to the right slightly but it is solid and good to go. I figured it was me just noticing it now while inspecting it for damage.
Kind of like the Kraton and some other RC cars with the rear wheels angled slightly. I figured it was by design after posting.
thank you!
Old 02-13-2024, 04:32 PM
RCoffroadracer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yep the motor is definitely pointing to the right a bit. almost touches the cowling on mine.

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 02-13-2024 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:15 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Letsroll,

Yes, down thrust and right thrust are common on many trainer airplanes, including the Apprentice. The SAFE mode has three modes. The "beginner" mode has low rates and significantly limits the maximum bank and pitch angles. Its intent is to automatically adjust the pitch attitude to climb at full throttle, cruise at half throttle and glide in for a landing at low throttle without using the elevator. The aircraft is self leveling in beginner SAFE mode when the transmitter sticks are returned to neutral. These pitch and bank limits also severely restrict the turning radius so that you will need 50 acres just to turn around. The "beginner" mode is so sluggish on the controls that it almost feels like "no control" mode. The "intermediate" mode allows steeper pitch and bank angles to the point you should be able to fly out of most RC club fields. Intermediate SAFE mode also eliminates the automatic returning to straight and level when the sticks are returned to neutral. Also the pitch angle is no longer auto linked to the throttle to automatically adjust the pitch for climb, cruise or decent with just the throttle. The "advanced" SAFE mode provides full control authority and the only gyro function that remains is the AS3X which only reacts to gusts to try to stabilize the plane to return to the attitude it was in prior to being upset by a gust of wind. As you observed, the Apprentice does not handle cross winds very well. The Apprentice's tall tricycle landing gear easily tips over and causes prop strikes with quartering winds and can make it almost impossible to turn around and taxi back to the staring point without tipping over if the wind exceeds about 5 or 6 mph. The "beginner" SAFE mode provides insufficient control for flying in cross winds, so don't try it. My best recommendation is to find an instructor with a wireless trainer link capable Spektrum transmitter and learn to fly using your transmitter as a "buddy box" paired to the instructor's master transmitter. That is the only way you are apt to learn to fly on a single airplane. Otherwise, plan on "using up" multiple trainers before you become proficient enough to reliably take off and land. Find a club and fly with an instructor until you are proficient, even if it means driving 50 miles to do it. It will be much cheaper in the long run.