Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

1/4 scale cub skylight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

1/4 scale cub skylight

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 12:06 PM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 scale cub skylight

I am just starting to cover the wings on my 1/4 scale sig cub when I ran into a problem. On one of the wings is a skylight window that is in the top and center of the wing. There was no instructions on how to install it. I tested a piece of scrap window material and tried gluing it on a piece of covering but it does not appear to bond well. Next I tried bonding the scrap window material to wood. This too is not very strong given the fact that plastic is not porous. This window will lay on top of the wing and I don't want to use screws if I can avoid it. Any videos, pictures, ideas ?
Old 01-29-2024, 09:56 PM
bryanmiick

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just used canopy glue to hold it on, it could be recessed into the top sheeting but I would still use "Zap 560 canopy glue"

Hard to see in this picture but just glued on top plane has close to 500 flights and window is still holding on.

Last edited by bryanmiick; 01-29-2024 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:24 AM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it! By the way, nice build. What covering did you use? Sig kit?
Old 01-30-2024, 08:48 PM
bryanmiick

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have 2, both are Sig kits with modifications, the both have OS gt22 engines in them and are covered with Sig Koverall, the J-3 is painted with dope and the L-4 is painted with Krylon over nitrate dope. Both kits have Top Notch Products dummy engines.

L-4 has major modifications to put the windows in, it is 1 1/2lbs heavier

sig kit modified to have operating door