Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Two Planes, Two Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Two Planes, Two Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 06:01 AM
clc58

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two Planes, Two Questions

I'm sure not the right category/thread for this but what do you expect from a newbie, LOL. Two planes purchased from eBay.

Great Planes PT-Electric, has the Thrustmaster 550 motor. Looking for advice on replacement motor and the ESC/Battery for that motor.

Sig Kadet Mark II, this kit was advertised as complete but was not. Was started and ALL the wing parts are missing. Does anyone know where I can get a template for the wing ribs and wing tips. This has turned into somewhat of a scratch build and I'm up for the challenge. Was sold from a Veterans Group in FLA, as a 23-year veteran cannot return or receive a refund, just would be the wrong thing to do. I did send Sig Manufacturing an email about any type of assistance, have not heard back yet and to be honest don't think I will. Go to their web site and just about everything is either sold out or on backorder.

As always, thanks for any advice, information and help.
clc58

Old 02-18-2024, 09:11 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Sig has gone through some changes in ownership and is reportedly in the process of moving to a new facility. I've seen some people state that they have recently ordered form Sig but their stock seem pretty hit and miss at the moment. On a more convenient note the plans for the original Kadat (Mark I) are available on Outerzone. It is a kit plan so it doesn't show all of the different ribs but it would be a place to start if you really are wanting to scratch a wing.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:03 AM
clc58

Plans did come with the kit, not the instruction booklet. Did download the book off the Sig website.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:11 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

If your plan is like my Kadet Jr, it actually shows a wing rib shape that you can use to make the appropriate ribs from. Since the wing is straight, without any tapering, all the ribs are the same EXCEPT where the spar is doubled. Shouldn't be a real issue to make the required ribs, as long as the plans have the profile on them. As far as the wingtip, just cut a rectangle that is over-sized and sand it to the final shape, other than the bottom bevel where it is glued to the outboard rib, after it's installed. Conversely, you could take a piece of balsa block and shape wingtips in the shape that you desire and glue them to the wing tip rib after you complete the wing build up. Either way, since you downloaded the instructions, it's not a complicated build if you follow the instructions.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:02 PM
clc58

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
If your plan is like my Kadet Jr, it actually shows a wing rib shape that you can use to make the appropriate ribs from. Since the wing is straight, without any tapering, all the ribs are the same EXCEPT where the spar is doubled. Shouldn't be a real issue to make the required ribs, as long as the plans have the profile on them. As far as the wingtip, just cut a rectangle that is over-sized and sand it to the final shape, other than the bottom bevel where it is glued to the outboard rib, after it's installed. Conversely, you could take a piece of balsa block and shape wingtips in the shape that you desire and glue them to the wing tip rib after you complete the wing build up. Either way, since you downloaded the instructions, it's not a complicated build if you follow the instructions.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2024, 08:00 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Hydro Junkie is correct. The wing rib profile is shown on the fuselage side view. Be sure to cut the ribs to match the outline inside of the outer wing sheeting and rib cap strips. Lacking the instruction manual, you might take a look at the build log below. It has lots of good photos and is almost as good as the manual.
Sig Kadet MkII build
Another way to make the tip rib outline is to get some poster paper and trace the plan outline of the tip. Then cut a strip of paper about 1.5 tines the thickness of the wing and as long as the wing cord. Wrap the tip plan along the top of the wing rib and then place the long rectangular strip against the bottom of the rib and lift it up to touch the tip pattern. Then trace the intersection of the tip plan against the inclined rectangle. The tracing on the rectangle should be close to the tip rib shape. Cut it out and play "paper-dolls" with it until you get the right fit. Now you have the tip template.

As for a replacement for the Thrustmaster 550 motor, I am not familiar with it. I know it was a series wound motor intended for nicad batteries and it would be hard to get hardware for it. Assuming your PT-electric is the one with a 56 inch wingspan and will weigh about 3 pounds with batteries, then I can tell you that you will need a motor of approximately 240 to 275 watts that runs on a 3-S 2200 mah capacity lipo battery and a 30 amp ESC. A trainer can generally fly nicely on a motor that can provide 80 to 90 watts of power per pound of aircraft weight, or produce thrust equal to about 2/3 to 3/4 of the airplane weight. A three pound trainer airplane would need about 900 to 1000 grams of thrust. You can usually find amperage, wattage, voltage, KV and propeller data for motors by Suppo, SunnySky and Leopard if you visit the websites for Altitude Hobbies (Leopard and Suppo) or SunnySky.com or Buddy RC for SunnySky motors. Based on this and assuming you can fit a 9" diameter propeller on your airplane, then a possible combination could be a SunnySky 2216 with a KV rating of 1400 rpm per volt, which (per SunnySky's data sheet) should turn an APC 9x4.7 prop on a 3S-2200mah battery sufficient to produce about 1220 grams of thrust and about 273 watts at 24.6 amps. A 30 or 40 amp ESC should do fine. This combo should provide about 8 minutes of safe flying time at half throttle and perhaps 10 minutes if flown at lower throttle settings.
Old 02-20-2024, 02:44 PM
clc58

Thanks LLRCFlyer,

Below is what the seller which I purchased the plane from. Lived an hour and a half from me so I went and pick it up. Emailed him this pass weekend and this is what he came up with.

(1) GForce E480 Brushless Outrunner Motor (3530 - 1100KV), (2) GForce 40A Brushless ESC (XT60), (3) GForce 30C 1300mAh 3S 11.1V LiPO (XT60 Connector) x2, and (4) Gemfan APC Style 11 x 7 Electric Nylon Prop x 2. All of these items are plug and play...they work perfectly with each other.I would recommend 4 of Towerpro MG90D Digital Metal Gear Micro Servo. You can get cheaper plastic geared servos (still 9g) but metal gear so much stronger. You only need 2 I believe (no ailerons). You may need 2 servo extensions too.

As for the Kadet, either way going to be fun building this kit half scratch and half kit.
Old 02-20-2024, 02:58 PM
clc58

Forgot to add, yes 56" wingspan and I went to the Value Hobby site and all the equipment would come to $80.00 dollars before tax and shipping. Cheap parts, perhaps. Does anybody know or have dealt with this company?
Old 02-20-2024, 03:22 PM
clc58

Did print an instruction manual from Sig website. Looking at the plans I do not see anything for a rib pattern, there is a wing tip pattern though.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:42 PM
clc58

Another follow up. Did download the Kadet Junior plans from Outerzone, so if I can get them printed to full size all will be good. Same aircraft one is 48" WS and the other is 57.5" WS. Not in a hurry to get this done as I am in the process of building the PT-Electric. Just want to thank everyone for their input and advice.
Respectfully,
clc58
Old 02-20-2024, 07:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The 48" is the Jr, the 57.5" is the MK II. I have a pair of the 48" under construction, when I get the chance to work on them. One is getting an extended 54" wing with no dihedral and three bay wide 25% chord "barn door" ailerons on twin floats while the other is getting the 48" wing with smaller ailerons and a .5" dihedral with the kit's supplied tricycle landing gear. I figure this will give me a choice on where I fly, the former being usable when I'm at a boat race and the later for general fun flying
Old 02-21-2024, 06:38 AM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi clc58,

One of my club members has purchased from Value Hobby on multiple occasions with zero problems. For a rib pattern, take a look at the plans for the fuselage and see if the wing airfoil section is shown on the fuselage side view. If not, the Kadet Jr airfoil could be enlarged to match the required cord length. The Mark II constant cord flat bottom wing would also be a good candidate for a hot-wire cut foam wing core covered with poster paper... very strong, torsionally rigid, and quick to build, but probably about 3 ounces heavier than the balsa wing. There are plenty of youtube videos on how to cut foam wing cores with a hot wire.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:37 AM
clc58

Upon farther review, the Kadet MK II does have the wing airfoil section shown on the fuselage side view. So, I got my ribs and there is a wing tip on the plans as well. Going to be fun to build for sure.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:08 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by clc58
Another follow up. Did download the Kadet Junior plans from Outerzone, so if I can get them printed to full size all will be good. Same aircraft one is 48" WS and the other is 57.5" WS. Not in a hurry to get this done as I am in the process of building the PT-Electric. Just want to thank everyone for their input and advice.
Respectfully,
clc58
If you cant find anyone to print the plans for you (try looking for your local blueprint shop) then Adobe Acrobat has a tile print function. It's a bit of a hassle to align and tape all the pages but it's better then nothing.