Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Plans

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 09:35 PM
wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plans

Does any one know of a website where you can look at plans for free? I mean plans for buliding aircraft of course.

I will probably buy a kit for my second plane, but am interested in looking at the different structures. Just curious I guess. Any one know of a site like this?

Wings,
Old 11-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Montague

Default RE: Plans

I don't know of any, though you might try doing a bit of searching on things like google. I have found a few sites with small versions of plans posted, but most places with plans want to sell them rather than give them away free.

If you just want to see construction details, go look though some older RC magazines. Many of them, such as RCM and MA had construction articles with plans printed in the magazine and some instructions in the article. Lots of good info there. You see it less these days, with ARFs taking over the world, but you do still see it. I think the latest RCM (with the tiger moth on the cover) has that kind of thing in it. Also, ask around in your area. If you are a member of a club, there's bound to be someone with old magazines or even old plans they could let you borrow.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:22 PM
gus

You could always try RCU.....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...tm.htm#1094943
Old 11-03-2003, 04:12 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

www.spadtothebone.com
Old 11-03-2003, 10:10 PM
wings

That spad to the bone site is pretty cool! I don't think I have the patience to build one of those now, but maybe some day. Thanks man.

Wings,
Old 11-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Balsa Master

if you dont have the patience to build wings out of 2 pieces than you have larger prblems that the spad. my trainer had somthing like 40 balsa pieces in wings alone by the time i was done.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:13 PM
wings

I was more refering to my patience to aquire all the stuff I guess. I may build a spad down the road. I just want my first kit to be a regular kit. I guess what I am saying is... I am lazy about acquiring the stuff. I think a kit will be more straight forward as to what I need to build it and I get all the stuff at one place.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:36 PM
mnrcaerobat

I built my first spad about two months ago. I spent the morning picking up all of the parts (including stoping for breakfast) and built the plane in the afternoon. Actually, I finished up a few things for two hours the following day. They fly well, and are easy to repair if damaged. There is also a dedicated forum here to spad. For a good first spad, you could build the LC-40 or Debonair. I am planning to build a Deb as soon as I can find the time. I am going to put some snow skis on the landing gear and fly it this winter, then in the spring, I can teach someone new to the hobby to fly with it.

Otherwise, I know that you can go to towerhobbies or great planes web site and look at instruction manuals for many of the great planes kits. I am not sure where you can look at plans however. Are you looking to build a kit? Are you new to RC?
Old 11-05-2003, 08:39 PM
mnrcaerobat

Wings, have you looked at www.towerhobbies.com ? They have many kits on there and list additional accessories that you will need to complete the kits. It helps get an idea of the cost. There are also tools and field equipment that will be needed to support building and flying the model.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:54 PM
wings

Thanks for the advice,

I am relatively new, but not completely I guess. I started flying electric this July, and have been flying an LT 40 for a month. I'm just ate up I think. There is no particular reason why I want to see plans other than I am curious as to the different ways to build a wing frame. I am going to build a kit this winter. I am thinking about a sig 4*. You have any suggestions for a second plane? I have been flying the LT 40 for only a month and have caught on pretty fast. I am sure I will be ready for a second plane by Spring. I want my second plane to be something I can handle, at the same time I am afraid of getting something that I will get bored with quickly (well, not really bored, but you know, looking for something more advanced). Basically, I want a challenge, but I don't want something way out of my ability.

From what I have heard, a 4* may not provide much challenge. I have decided yet, but I am going to buy a kit soon.

Thanks,

Wings,
Old 11-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Combat Addict

A side note.

Spads are cheap. Mine when I built it didn't fly that well. For the price, they are great. However if you want a cheap plane, I would say to build a plane with a foam wing. Much lighter and better formed. However, spads are cheap if cost is the issue.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:30 AM
mnrcaerobat

I did the same as you. I started in May with an LT 40. Then in June I started flying a Super Sportster that I built. I have heard that these two make excellent second planes. I really wanted to build and fly the Great Planes Ultra Sport Plus for my second plane, but found the Super Sportster on Ebay. I have found that all planes are fun to fly and I seem to want many of them. You will notice with your second plane (I assume a low wing) that they fly faster and are more responsive to control input. Likewise, they do not have the self correcting ability of a trainer. A properly trimmed out trainer will pull itself out of a dive, whereas a low wing will be a pile of junk. I have heard real good things about the four star and think you will be pleased with this plane. I know several people that have them and they enjoy flying them. I almost bought one after watching a 40 year pilot fly one with an OS 48 on the nose. I think I was more in envy of his skills.

When I transitioned from the trainer to the Super Sportster, I thought it was nice to have them both. I would fly the SS and then I would try new things out on the slower trainer. It wasn't long until I could fly my trainer inverted for long periods of time (couple minutes). Some days, I would only fly landing patterns with my trainer. That helped a lot. I also worked on some of the IMAC sequences with the trainer.

The price is good on the four star, and it will give you a wide range of flying capabilities. I would go for it. Once you can handle the four star well, you can handle nearly any plane out there.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:25 PM
mnrcaerobat

Default RE: <span class=

Here is a forum for a SPAD built 4*

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Cor%...1201120/tm.htm
Old 11-07-2003, 09:54 AM
mnrcaerobat

Check out this website. The site shows some swearing guy puting together a Sig Somethin Extra

http://www.alteredrealms.com/hobby/extra.html
Old 11-07-2003, 03:14 PM
BlackThunder

Swearing? There is no swearing on the somethin extra page, what are you talking about? It's true, I was swearing during the construction but overall the project wasn't too bad.
It was my first kit ever built so I was new to the terms and the whole plane kit building experience. I've only been flying since spring of 2003 so cut me some slack.

Cheers,

BT
Old 11-07-2003, 03:35 PM
rik756
My Feedback: (12)

For both some pics of plans or at least the book and a second plane / first kit take a look at the Venture .60. Bruce Tharpe (BTE Models) is the one that designed the 4*. He improved a few things, removed some bad habits and re-did the 4* calling it the V60.

[link=http://www.btemodels.com/venture.html]BTE Engineering[/link]

[link=http://www.venture60.com/]V60 Fan site[/link]

[link=http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/KitReviews/BTVenture.html]V60 review[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Venture_60_Construction/m_1242455/tm.htm]RCU Review / Build Pics[/link]

Also, take a look at the bottom of the V60 page, there are ALLOT more links and the downloadable manual. Great plane man. I'm getting one soon!

Rick
Old 11-07-2003, 03:56 PM
mnrcaerobat

BlackThunder

Nice build. How is that plane flying? You really have a nice covering job there. Are you going to post any more builds?
Old 11-07-2003, 04:46 PM
BlackThunder

The plane flies great once trimmed properly. My next project is going to be a heli tho. The JR Venture 30. I'll probably start the construction late February.

Cheers,