Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

what/how do you fly in the winter?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
i dont get snow
29.27%
i take a break from flying
14.63%
i put skis on my plane
42.68%
i belly land my plane
8.54%
i shovel a 50' runway
4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

what/how do you fly in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 09:32 AM
steener

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what/how do you fly in the winter?

just wondering what you do for the winter.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Balsa Master

Default RE: what/how do you fly in the winter?

Skis are definatly ure best bet. (Asside from taking a break, but thats 4 noobies) lol
Old 12-07-2003, 09:59 AM
steener

hey wait, i am a newbie lol. i want to continue flying because i dont believe i can just stop cause of a little snow and cold. its the older guys at the club that quit for the winter.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:50 AM
TerrellFlyer

Use skies,use a plane that is hand launched,clean the snow off the runway,get a small electric and fly inside. Think I'm one of those old guys,been there,done that,that is the reason I fly all year. Have fun,stay warm.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Balsa Master

if you can build, get an aqua star, its POS but it wil lfly off show with no skis flies off water looks good too. (warning, not a first time build the instructions suck and the plans are about as bad, but if youve build one plane b4 you cna do this)

its cheap and flies wiht std servos and a .061 engine (my preference) but will fly .049-.071 (small eh?)

no ailerons though, but if your into the idea and have knowage to do so, you can add them but i recomned going to micro servos if you do.

also, if you do build it FIBERGLASS THE HELL OUT OF THE ENGINE PYLON

that is the most poorly designed part.

or you could get the GP version but ive never built and gant speek from experiance on that 1.

you could also scratch a micro lite indoor flyer real easy, small light wings and a stick for fuse, cant be esier. (MUST use micro servos and electric engine.)
Old 12-07-2003, 01:33 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Somehow flying in the winter just isn't much fun. For 40-size models, skiis aren't necessary if the snow you're flying off as a bit of a crust to it.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:46 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use skies and a seaplane. If it has landing gear, it will get skies on it. Designing skies for my 100" Rearwin Speedster at the moment since we just got some snow.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:46 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

ok on two stroke's carb in front i run airfilter's. my plane's are a little overpowered so the will make their own runway. snow is very easy to go thrue . i have taken off in grass about 14 inch's tall. so snow don't bother me much. i fly all my plane's but my propjet's in snow. 1/4 scale's are better to fly in snow than a 40 size. but ski's work good to. the most snow we get here is about 10 to 15 inch's normail but we have got 37 inche's
Old 12-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Pilotsmoe

I don't do anything to my planes. Normaly, we don't get alot of snow around here, the exception being last year. Most of the time it melts within a couple of days. The weather is crazy in the winter here, one day you could have a blizzard, and the next it's like 60*. Our biggest problem in the winter is the muddy runway.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:28 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

What's snow?
Old 12-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Balsa Master

u got some snow last year in SA didnt you? its that white powery stuff that falls from the sky every 100 years or so and is usualy ocumpanid by cold weather.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:16 AM
bdtsr

No, OC doesn't get much snow, but I heard a seaplane could have been usefull this weekend!
Old 12-08-2003, 01:04 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Cruz,
You remember back in 1985 was it? I believe S.A. got around 12-14" and paralyzed the whole city. Only the airport had snow removal equipment, but the city didn't, so you couldn't get to the airport!
Now that I'm here in Oklahoma where we get moderate snow every year, I put the glow planes away and bring out the electrics. Mostly my Zagi 400x. I usually catch it when landing anyway, so it never touches the snow.

Jesse
Old 12-08-2003, 03:25 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI, STEENER! I wear mittens. I also keep the car running. Skid landing on the planes' belly is the simplest way to go, leave the skis off if you want to improve performance.Glue a strip of spruce on the belly to avoid damage. If you are flying a plane that can't be hand launched, then all I can say is "OINK!"
Old 12-08-2003, 08:47 AM
7th Angel

Most of our club members, including me, use floats to fly off of snow. Floats seem to work better than skis around here.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:36 AM
dr_wogz

I / we use skis on our planes.

Someone sometimes brings his snow blower, and plows the runway.

Some of us have Northstars, and planes on floats, and use them!

Last year, we diodn't have enough snow to use skis, but enough snow to render the feild / runway unflyable. Pitty. Hope this year is better!!

We have some winter flying videos in our 'archive' video section in teh gallery..
www.aerotech-rc.com
Old 12-08-2003, 09:50 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Jesse,

Oh yeah, I remember 1985. We were really hammered with the white stuff. My first and only snowman, still have pics some where laying around. lol. Thus far, I think the temp dipped down to 30's or so a couple days ago.

Lemme tell you what's cold. Last year in February, I flew up to visit my brother in Portland Maine, now that brother, is COLD. It was -7 when I got off the plane. WOW, spent a week there, went skiing, had a blast, but was more than ready to come back to Texas after the week I was there.

You guys up North, stay warm or drive down here and lets go flying. You can stay with us. We have plenty of floor space.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:19 PM
hnesitd1

Using a snowblower to get a good runway works well. Make sure that you layer your clothing and have plenty of hot liguids to drink. You'll find that your airplane will be a lot easier to spot on the ground if you have an engine failure although walking to it can be a bit of a chore if the snow is above thigh depth. A ski-doo (snow mobile) on standby can greatly simplify retrieval BUT, get a good grip on the plane if you're the passenger! With respect to airplane retrieval - be extremely careful of frozen (supposedly) streams and especially rivers. Winter flying can be a lot of fun - especially in the very early mornings; the sun stays low on the horizon and the winds are light. Our club has a guy that comes down from the high arctic in the summer to fly - you wouldn't believe the stories he has of winter flying!
Old 12-08-2003, 04:42 PM
ICE_MAN

Last night my brother and i snuck down to the car and "stole" our x-mas presents out of the car and i got a dremel with all of the attachments! So im going to buy a pair of ice skate blade and fit them to the L.G. of my superstar and fly it off the pond when it freezes!
Old 12-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Tannerlb

I am also interested in snow flying... but here in canada if im lucky it will be a nice -25 C is that ok LOL
Old 12-08-2003, 08:46 PM
bdtsr

If you can get the motor started, you'll be fine. Watch your battery voltage though, it will drop twice as fast. If you have a higher capacity pack, use it. Bring some lighter fluid and use it to prime the engine, usually starts much easier. A good electric starter wouldn't hurt either.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:12 PM
rjbarthel
My Feedback: (2)

Hey hey gota love this stuff ! I live in the upper side of ND and i hate winter but i will brave the cold to fly LOL
I fly my Zagi 400X mostly but now just got a set of skis and put them on my old duraplane trainer 40 ..
and wow it is the best ! its still a duraplane that flys like a brick with wings hahaha but its the only high winged plane that i wouldnt mind useing
in the winter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15920.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	80877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28667.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	80878  
Old 12-08-2003, 09:13 PM
steener

how does the lighter fluid work? do you just put a drop in the carb? thats an interesting suggestion. never heard of that one. im going to attempt to install skis on my avistar this winter. ill post pics when im done.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:23 PM
steener

rjbarthel are those homemade or did you shell out green for them. how do you plan on keeping the skis from folding down in the front?
Old 12-08-2003, 09:32 PM
bdtsr

Squirt the lighter fluid (couple of drops) into the intake, then hit it with the starter. The lighter fluid aids in starting because it will flash off faster. It also has no oil to slow things down. If you can get a propane torch, you can use it to heat the engine as well (very carefully though). Generaly here, the electric starter will do the job as it rarely stays below 5deg C for any length of time. Let them warm up for a minute or two before you run them up. A needle adjustment maybe in order as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.