Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

This is for the guy's that think they dont need an instuctor.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

This is for the guy's that think they dont need an instuctor.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 12:33 PM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is for the guy's that think they dont need an instuctor.

If you are one of these guy's,,,read on...I learned on a trainer 40 and an old,,,I mean OLDDDDD sim. "Dave Brown program" I think it was. Now I teach on the real flight sim myself. One thing you have to remember is that it is JUST a sim not the real thing. You have spent months on building and covering your first plane,, and making sure that everything was correct and drive out to the field. You get there and your nerve's start going. You feel like "this is it, this is what ive been waiting for" Chances are, you might crash right off the bat, and you'll will always wonder why. Ill tell you right now before you get that far... This is what I think, when I fly a brand new plane,"it happen's to ALL of us pilots".....what is the roll rate,, is it fast or slow? Is it balanced right? Did I glue those hinges in good? Are all my controls working correctly? Is it to windy? Am I going to see my plane, with the colors I have picked out and put on? Is the wheel collers going to stay on? Did I set the needle valve correctly? Get the point???? Those sims dont offer the HELPFUL hints that you can obtain from the flight field, and the guy's that have been doing it for some time. This is what I would do!!! I would go to the flight field, and do some home work. Get to know the guy's. Find out how long they have been fly'n. Ask how they got into the hobby. Watch them fly as long as you want...If you see a guy fly'n all those great moves, that you want to learn, get to know him and ask ?'s. See if he will help you get into this fantastic sport. Ill bet he would love to help. Learn the right way and love this hobby forever,,,,do it the wrong way,,,,and we were glad to have you for a couple of months..you will be dissapointed if you crash your brand new love, first time you go to the field. Remember...."SIMS ARE A GOOD START,,,,BUT NOT AN INTRUCTOR."
Old 12-15-2003, 11:13 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: This is for the guy's that think they dont need an instuctor.

Totally agree. Takes a lot less time to do it right than to rebuild it.

I have seen it too many times. People come out and try on their own, crash and you never see them again. If they had just gotten help, they might still be enjoying this fine hobby.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:24 PM
Georgioy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree but what can you do when you've to travel 100 miles for a club and an instructor?

Not try it? its not easy without an instructor, probably its hard with instructor too.

Dont forget to cover it from the reading side, read and keep trying if you know also what yours and others safety means.

Simulators are something than nothing, but very far from the reality.
Its not a game try learn alone, remember safety rules, an airplane can hurt you or others.

As i posted on my post today
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Firs...1353640/tm.htm
tried alone but am electronics engineer and have also knowledge on real car/bikes engines, means i know alot of this part of safety...
Old 12-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Walfam
My Feedback: (1)

Let me add 2 more cents worth, when you have a new plane or situation, get the guys to help you check it out. I have seen expert flyers, ask questions, and find they overlooked something on their plane
and when you have a new plane, have the guys check it out because they are unbaised and will look at
it from a different perspective. This can be a plane saver for sure. Teamwork...... Now you may get
guys who disagree on what way certain thngs should be done, but you can make the decision that is best for you!...

I have a new plane coming out next sunday, and i will tell you that it will be fully checked
out by the fellow flyers who I know will determine if I missed anything, before I even startthe engine.

This is just good ole common sense.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:29 PM
Montague

If I lived 100mi away from the nearest instructor, I'd get up early in the morning

Ok, seriously, I've seen some students who picked up flying very quickly and needed only a few flights with an instructor. And I've had students who may very well be students forever (well, it felt that way sometimes). However, I don't think I've ever had a student where I NEVER made a "save" with them. Even the best would have crashed at least once with out the help. Of course, the crash may not have been major, they could fix it and get back to the field later, but a lot of fixing slows down the learning curve.

Anyway, if there was absolutly no instructor around, I'd start with a park flyer, one of the small, easy to fly ones, the move up slowly with progressivly more advanced small electrics. I certainly wouldn't start with a typical .40 size glow trainer.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:44 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Hasn't this subject been beaten to death enough already? This is the same stuff that was in many previous threads regarding this subject.
Joe
Old 12-15-2003, 05:06 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: DustOffUH1

Hasn't this subject been beaten to death enough already? This is the same stuff that was in many previous threads regarding this subject.
Joe
Yea, this subject, the "what plane to get" subject, the "what engine" subject, the "what radio" subject ............

You get the point. But the same questions keep getting asked, so the same answers keep getting said.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

RCU FAQ should have all of those.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Rotorwrench

I've flown before but that was several years ago. I'm humble enough to take my new trainer to the local club and get the guys there to fly it first and trim it out. Then I'll get with the instructer and get some flights with the buddy box. My flying skills might come back to me quick and they might not. I want this airplane to at least last until I can get a second one ready to fly.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:05 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

I am all about an instructor and I think its the best way to go. However, just to let everybody know its not impossible to learn without one this picture should be proof enough.

G-Dog didnt have an instructor and look where it has gotten him (flying demos at TOC). Actually I have seen him write about it. It turns out he went out to the flying field for weeks trying to get someone to help him and nobody would do it. They didnt want to take their time to teach a kid how to fly. So one day he went out and did it himself (no sims, no crash). Soon after he was torque rolling his trainer and they asked him to leave. It seems as though they came up with a rule saying that kids couldnt fly by themselves. Do I sense jealousy here? I have seen Garrett promote learning with an instructor many times b/c he thinks its the best way, as do I. But I was just giving proof that its not impossible.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12633.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	82745