Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Mode 1 vs. Mode 2 radios

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Mode 1 vs. Mode 2 radios

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 02:37 PM
C 130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mode 1 vs. Mode 2 radios

hello there,
well my question here is simple. What is teh difference between Mode 1 and mode 2 radios when you buy it and which one is better and why is there two types from teh beginning????
thanx dudes
Old 12-14-2003, 03:06 PM
higheronnitro

Default RE: Mode 1 vs. Mode 2 radios

Mode 1: Throttle and aileron are on the right stick rudder and elevator on the left stick

Mode2: Throttle and rudder on the left stick and aileron and elevator on the right

Join your local model aircraft club and fly the same mode as their instructor does.
BR Steve
Old 12-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Woodsy

Actualy it's even more complicated than that..

there are 4 modes i know of

mode 1 as above,
mode 2 as above,
mode 3 left handed mode 1
mode 4 left handed mode 2

i guess thecnicaly there may now be a mode 5 with the single stick/slider throttle becoming more popular.

basicaly it dosent mattter which one you fly but most people fly the same as there instructor, our club has 1 instructor that can fly mode 1 and 2, he will teach you whichever one you want.

as for the history of why there are diferant modes......
one story i heard was that mode 1 developed from the early 2 chanel rc gear when rudder/elevator was on 1 stick, when more chanels were added naturaly they went on a second stick (aileron/throttle), why the new chanels ended up on the right side i've no idea.

as for mode 2... i heard that developed because full size planes had aileron/elevator on the joy stick and some bright spark thought it was more "natural" for rc gear to be the same (as much as rc is like flying a real plane. NOT).

i've no idea if these stories are true but then again may be they are.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:13 PM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

Actually, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, Reed type multi channel radios used toggle switches on the tx, one for each channel and one for elevator trim, and they were laid out with aileron on the right and elevator on the left. You have no idea how good we have it now! PS-Single stick has been around for about thirty-five years. I have never heard LH or single stick referred to by a mode number...JIM
Old 12-15-2003, 03:33 AM
Mode I
My Feedback: (5)

When I learned to fly back in the dark ages '76. Mode 1 was very popular. All of the radios that came into this country, USA, came in as Mode 2 but it was a simple change of spring and ratchet to convert to Mode 1 and many did. I started out flying Mode 2 and had a much too fast trainer that ate up sky very quickly and I guess I was having trouble learning. One day someone said "why don't you try Mode 1. It might be easier for you". I never went back!!!.
Separating the pitch and yaw of the aircraft on different "sticks" just made it so much easier for me. I still fly Mode !, it's my sign on name here on RCU.
The high end computer radios need to be changed over at the factory now so it means a special order at an extra charge but with the ability to fly many models with one radio TX it's not so bad.
My advice. Try both. If you have access to an instructor who can handle it and make your own choice. Either way you can't loose if you are a part of this great hobby of ours. Good luck.
Mode I
Old 12-15-2003, 12:03 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have yet to meet anyone that flys mode 1, but have heard of a lot of people doing it.

I think mode 2 is more natural personally.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:34 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The basic idea of "Mode 1" was to seperate the major control inputs on the planes for pattern flying. Theory was that if you could separate the elevator/aileron controls then your inputs in those two major control inputs would be "pure" without adding something extra. I personally believe it was due to the strength of the centering springs of the old gimbals where it was very easy to put in unwanted errors. I agree w/the the person above about the "reed" influence (I flew those too) but I couldn't wait to fly w/aileron/elevator on the right stick.

Bottom line is that with few exceptions most folks fly mode 2. Mode 2 gives a more realistic feel and for my 2 cents, I want aileron/elevator on the right stick. Even finding an instructor who will fly Mode 1 can be a challenge. Sort of like flying the old Cox 2 stick radios w/a seperate rudder/elevator.....in southern slang," thet ain't rite!!"

Good luck... flying is the important part.. how you do it.. is just a matter of experience.....

Deadstik..... [8D]

ANYBODY can fly an airplane, but it takes a PILOT to land one !!!
Old 12-15-2003, 01:50 PM
onewasp

deadstick

Only in this country!

Among the better known "exceptions" Hanno, Wolfgang and Roland, CPLR, Queque, Bob Violett and about 90 percent of one of the two clubs to which I belong. The other club,-----well,----I am the only one. Each club has over 100 members.

Yes, I can fly mode two and single-------I happen to have been born hard wired for Mode one and after trying the others was convinced that Mode One offered me more "feel" .

If you haven't tried it ----don't knock it.

Yes, Chip Hyde is Mode two but CPLR is Mode one so that comparison is a wash and Queque isn't exactly a novice. Just trying to keep the comparisons with todays winners .

It comes down to what suits you best as championships have been won with both , plus single so there is no hard and fast "best for everyone". Also, whether you are right handed (I am) or left handed doesn't seem to have any bearing on the preference.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:10 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

If you buy a standard 4 channel (or higher) receiver like a Futaba, Airtronics, Hitec, JR, etc. then you can set it up for any mode that you are comfortable with. Just plug in the servos in the order that you want. It might take a little trial and error, but the choice is yours. But, remember, YOUR INSTRUCTOR NEEDS TO BE FAMILIAR WITH WHATEVER MODE YOU CHOOSE. Otherwise he might crash it the very first time he takes off.

Ask me how I know!

Kerry
Old 12-17-2003, 03:35 AM
Mode I
My Feedback: (5)

The above reply is true to a certain extent. Electronically it is easy with the new radios to program the controls for Mode 1, a couple of inputs, but the ratchet on the throttle stick is still on the left. You must go inside the TX case and physically change over the ratchet and spring to the right position to be fully Mode !.
It is my understanding, although not documented, that in Europe, Japan and Mexico the radios are all Mode 1 from the factory but the importers to the USA only import Mode 2. It cost me $42.00 extra to have a CAP9A changed over to Mode 1 by Futaba importer/distributor Great Planes. Nuff said.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:22 PM
onewasp

Better check out the individual TX and it's makeup.

Some (not all) may require different software and/or {with the JR 3+1 trim set-up (digital save for throttle).}----a totally different assembly.

I happen to like the 10X on six meters and Mode one, for my personal use but recognize that others have a different set of priorities and therefore make different choices. If YOU like it and it is good for YOU then I have nothing to say.

----------EXCEPT ------- that I like JR AND their customer service is second to none !