Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Got the plane, now what?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Got the plane, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 07:16 PM
rider_89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the plane, now what?

I just bought a new Hobbico Avistar 40 Select RTF last weekend. It is still in the box since it is the middle of winter. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on flying for my first time? What should I expect?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74345.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	82569  
Old 12-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Stick Jammer

Default RE: Got the plane, now what?

If you have an good instructor with plenty of experience to help you out, you can expect to be off to a great start in a wonderful hobby. He will also give you plenty of tips. If you try to fly it on your own, you can expect about 5 seconds of flying after the wheels leave the ground. You can also expect to be picking up the pieces. Hopefully you'll choose option #1.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:39 PM
rider_89

Ya, I have and instructor, but I haven't a clue of what flying this thing is gonna be like, although I live for planes, so I know I will enjoy the hobby since planes fascinate me like crazy. Any tips on turning or anything like that, I would like to have an idea so I am not confused like crazy when I take controll of that thing for the for time.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:43 PM
Banned

Put it together, take it out to your local flying field, have the guys check it out, then have one of them give it a quick flight. Then who knows, maybe you'll get to fly it next?

Here's a link to a very nice Beginner's Page. [link=http://www.rcaircraft.net]Aircraft Proving Ground[/link]
Click on Beginner's page on the left, then Beginner's Guide in the middle.

P.S. We don't recommend AMA to Canadians do we? Do they have anything simular?
Old 12-15-2003, 07:49 PM
Stick Jammer

Get a simulator or find someone that has one. Practice on that all the winter and you'll be good to go come spring time. Flying on a sim like Realflight G2 is very close to the real thing.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:54 PM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

See if you can find yourself and inexspensive book on learning to fly,it will tell what all the control surfaces do and how they operate.Next you might check in the kit,does it come with a radio,if so get yourself familar with every thing about the radio and how it operates as well,find someone you know that might fly lite bush planes and talk with them for a while,he can sure help explain what the differnt controls functions do,and how they work.It should give you a head start on what you should be doing.

NdFrSpeed
Old 12-15-2003, 08:13 PM
rider_89

Thanks a lot everyone for all the help, the plane comes with a radio an engine and everything by the way. I'm not sure what the AMA would be in Canada, they have MAAC, but thats not teaching that is just an association. I know there is instructors at the local club though.

Again thanks for all the help
Old 12-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

It will fly and land faster than most trainers.
It is a little less forgiving than most trainers.
You will love it once you get the hang of it.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:29 PM
rider_89

I have another question, when I decide to do the little assembly required to put together my plane, should I get someone in the area with lots of experience to balance it, or if I follow the instructions will it be balanced pretty good?

P.S: I really do not want to loose this plane, I mean if it crashes well that happens in the hobby I know, but I want to take every step possible to ensure the safety of that plane in the air.

Again thanks for taking your time to reply! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-15-2003, 10:50 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

By following the manual, you shouldn't have any problem balancing it yourself
Old 12-15-2003, 11:06 PM
ActionVerb

here's a tip: Search the beginners forums and use the huge amount of info already here.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:21 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. The RTF's are put togther for you (for the most part), and are usually just fine. Do a "Search" here for that particular RTF and see if there are any recommendations, like reinforcing the wing joint.

Flying.... That's a LOT of question!
Transmitter has two sticks. In Mode II, the most prevalent set up and the way transmitters come, the left stick controls throttle and rudder, moving the stick all the way forward is full throttle and all the way back is idle, moving it right and left is rudder. The right stick controls ailerons (stick to the right and left), and elevator, move the stick forward (down elevator) and back (up). The little "trim" levers to the sides of the sticks are for minor adjustment of control surfaces, except for the throttle trim. Throttle trim all the way forward, and stick all the way back is idle; if you now pull the trim lever all the way back it should "kill" the engine (by cutting off the fuel).

Probable the biggest problem most new guys have is giving TOO MUCH stick movement. A gentle turn will usually require no more than 10% to 25% (max!) stick movement for ailerons, and a smaller amount of "up" elevator to keep the nose from dropping. If you remember that much your first flight will be better than average.

Welcome to RCU and RC flight! Great place and a great hobby. There are a lot of terrific people, most more than happy to help the new guy. So enjoy!

By the way; joining MAAC is a good idea. I believe they provide liability insurance as the AMA does here. Does your instructor belong to a club? If so, join it too, and go to the meetings this winter. You'll learn a lot and meet some new friends.

Good luck,
Dennis-
Old 12-16-2003, 08:20 AM
rider_89

Ya, my instructor is part of a local club, and I plan on joining it too. I went there last year just to watch the planes go, and met lots of the guys, they just told me buy a trainer, join the club and they will teach me, so that is what I am going to do.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:42 AM
TerrellFlyer

Hi rider_89,since you have a club and instructor located ,the you are ahead of most newbees. not what to expect flying! IF you have been diving and around 150' and run out of air,jumped from a plane and the chute opened at the last minute,had the high school beauty queen bring over 5 of her best girl friends to keep you company on a cold weekend?WELLLLLL,flying is even better and more fun. Welcome to the hobby/sport and always have fun.[sm=bananahead.gif]