Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Difficulties With my New Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Difficulties With my New Plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 09:41 PM
bobs_201
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulties With my New Plane

I have a Nexstar....ToDAY, i tried cranking it for the first time....As soon as i got it crank, it ran a while, but it ran sort of quit as if it was it was about to "choke off," I advanced the throttle a little and the plane just shut off. I tried cranking it again and it never recranked...it got to a point where the propellor was stiff and did not want to turn....then gas started to leak from the muffler....

I am totally brand new to Nitro...anyone with any responses or suggestions???
Old 12-15-2003, 10:24 PM
Crash Master

Default RE: Difficulties With my New Plane

Sounds like it is running way to rich and it flooded. I assume that you read the directions on the recommended way to break in the new motor (they need to be broken-in in order to run properly).

The best thing you can do is to find yourself an RC club and ask one of the more experienced pilots to help you get it tuned after it has been broken in.

Just mho,
Old 12-15-2003, 10:27 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your engine is very flooded. Hold it muffler-side-down, and move the prop back and forth to let the fuel out of the cylinder. It should then turn over easy again. Close the needle valve all the way, then open it about 1 and 1/2 turns. Try flipping the prop, if it doesn't start, add a few drops of fuel to the carb and try again.

If it starts, and dies, it is either flooded again, or lean (too little fuel). You already know the flooded symptoms, if it's lean, a few more drops in the carb will let it start again. If that's the case, open the needle valve 1/4 turn and try again. Repete until it stays running.

Once it is running, open the needle valve until it starts to run sloppy, then slowly close it. You will hear the engine reach Max RPM, then start to die off. AT that point, back off until it goes back to Max RPM, then open it until you hear the RPM decrease a bit, but not so much that it is spitting fuel out of the muffler.

Leave it there for a few tankfuls of fuel to break it in.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:34 PM
YNOT

Ny Nexstar motor started first time on the first flip, this is how:

1. Open needle 2 turns out from fully closed.

2. Open the throttle wide open. Put thumb over carb and pull the prop though until you see fuel run up to the nipple on the carb. Once the fuel is there, pull though 2 times.

3. Flip prop without ignighter 10 times.

4. Repeate step 2.

5. Repeate step 3.

6. Repeate step 2.

7. Put on ignighter, and back flip the motor off the spinner. Do not flip with chicken stick from the prop. Yes, backwards. It will hit the compression stroke, and fire.

Slowly increase throttle becasue the motor will be rich. Once at full throttle, remove ignighter, then adjust needle. YOu should have to go in about 1/2 turn to get to tip RPM's.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:54 PM
bobs_201
My Feedback: (1)

hi, Ynot, your info sounds interesting, but will you please explain steps 1,2,3 and 7 in "True Begginer" Terms...
Old 12-16-2003, 12:38 AM
snowwave83

Bobs check your inbox

steve
Old 12-22-2003, 07:21 AM
wtb3886

Greetings bobs_201:

If you are using an electric starter to start your airplane I would suggest not using the priming method.

1. Set your high side needle valve, turn it in GENTLY all the way to the RIGHT
2. Turn this valve out 2 complete turns
3. Make sure that when you pull your throttle stick all the way back that your carb is only cracked open ( just enough to stick the end of a toothpick in). Make sure that when you pull your throttle trim tab down that you can COMPLETELY close the carb opening.
3. Test your glow battery on a good glow plug to know that it is good.
4. Have someone to hold your airplane on the ground.
5. Turn on your transmitter then your airplane.
6. Pull the throttle stick all the way back, look at carb opening to be sure just barely cracked open.
7. Put on your glow battery for the glow plug.
8. Using your starter spin it over just for a few seconds and listen if it fires up.
A>If it fires up slowly move throttle stick up just a little at a time until you reach full open throttle,
Pinch your fuel line to the carb JUST FOR A SECOND and listen, if it speeds up, we need to turn the high side needle valve in just a few clicks and go back to full open throttle and check it again until we have found PEAK RPM setting, once you find this turn your needle valve to the left just a few clicks to leave it a little RICH.

Now have your holder lift the nose of the airplane up to about 45 degree angle while at full open throttle. If the engine stammers we need to adjust it so that when the airplane is lifted the engine does not change in sound.

B>If the engine does not crank, turn your high speed needle valve to the RIGHT 1/4 turn and retry the starting of your engine. Adjust just like what was said above to reach max rpm setting.

Always leave your engine a little rich not matter what.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Have you gotten it started?

ORIGINAL: bobs_201
hi, Ynot, your info sounds interesting, but will you please explain steps 1,2,3 and 7 in "True Begginer" Terms...
Old 12-22-2003, 11:22 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Be carefull cranking it with a starter when it floods. You can bend things inside. I didn't notice if anyone said that.

Get help if you haven't. Would hate to read your crash story if you get it started.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:31 PM
wrongwaywayne

Sounds like you have hydo locked your engine. Remove the glow plug to drain out all the fuel from the engine cylinder. Check to make sure your glow plug is working. It should glow. Keep trying. Make sure engine settings are as they are supposed to be.

Good luck!!