Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Transmitter-Computer?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Transmitter-Computer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 04:46 PM
rider_89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter-Computer?

Hi,

I want to know if it is at all possible to hook up my radio to my computer since I got a free flight-simulator. If it is possible, how?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Askalon
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Transmitter-Computer?

what brand/model? Most do have one that you can hook up. I happen to have one for my JR that hooks to a USB port. There are many types, that you can get depending on which operating system you use.

Good luck

Forgot to add that most use a trainer cord, so if the model you have does not have a trainer port, you would not be able to.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Banned

Yes you can, depending on what free sim you got. You didn't say. Try asking your question here: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Flight_Simulator_Software/forumid_138/tt.htm]Flight Simulator Forum - Click Me![/link]
Old 12-16-2003, 06:07 PM
rider_89

Ya I have the "buddy" cord and all, but the buddy cord don't hook up to my computer. Is there anything I can buy or make that would make my radio compatible with my computer? I use Windows 98 and have a Futaba 4VF which uses the trainer cord tip that is round not square.

Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:08 PM
Askalon

again. What is the brand and model of your radio?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:09 PM
rider_89

Futaba 4VF
Old 12-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Askalon

Tom's http://www.tti-us.com/sim/index.htm - Bought all my sim stuff from him
or do it yourself if you have the skills

http://www.heliguy.com/nexus/fmsinterface.html
http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/links_e.html

there are more I am sure, do a web search or ask in the sim forum.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:20 PM
Al Stein

Yes, your transmitter can be used with a computer. Next questions...

Which flight sim?
What operating system is on your computer?

My computer is set up with FMS, and I have hook-ups for that, but I don't know if they work on other simulators. Also, for the more sophisticated hook-ups, it sometimes takes a little fiddling around to get everything set right and working, so some skill with the computer may be handy.

I have very inexpensive hook-ups that connect to the printer port, but they will only work with Windows 95 and 98. The newer Windows systems (2000, me, xp) will refuse to allow the printer port hook-up to work and for those there is a less inexpensive gadget that includes a microprocessor and connects to a comm port.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:27 PM
rider_89

That is EXACTLY what I am looking for! I have FMS too, and I need detailed instructions to mess around with that stuff. Could you please give me so good easy to read instruction on how to do that, I don't really understand all that electronic lingo stuff...

Thanks soooo much, you got it right on.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:49 PM
Askalon

try Tom's in the link I gave above. He has those that you speak of. I chose USB though instead of a serial port one.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:02 PM
rider_89

K thanks I will try, but I don't want to buy one if I don't have to, I would wrather just make one and there is schematics on the FMS sight but I don't understand since the words are all "electrical".

Thanks for all your help though
Old 12-17-2003, 07:10 AM
Al Stein

Making one is fairly easy for the simple ones an not too easy for the more complicated ones... which adapter type you need depends on your computer operating system. That's why I was asking about that... with older Windows versions, the adapter cable requires basic soldering skill... but there is some skill required.

Even this easiest-to-build one requires you to solder simple electronic parts to posts mounted in a plastic plug. To do that, you have to be better than the typical electronics beginner or your assembly won't fit in the very limited space it has to go into and you plugs will be distorted under the heat so they won't plug into the transmitter buddy port. And that's for the easy one. Meanwhile, its parts will cost about US$5 and you need (at least) solder and a soldering iron. But, it only costs US$10 to buy.

A microprocessor controlled (PIC) adapter is takes more skill because you have to assemble much more complicated and delicate parts very close together without overheating any or soldering any together. The basic PIC unit for serial (comm) port costs around $20 for a kit that includes a programmed controller device (that's the "PIC" part and it's actually a computer in a fingernail-sized package), but only costs US$30 - 40 to buy ready to use. (And, you can't build it without the controller being programmed, so the choices are to buy a kit or to buy parts plus a programming interface device plus equipment to make your own printed circuit boards, plus, plus, plus...

If you're on Wn 95 or 98, there's not TOO MUCH risk in trying to build the simple interface and if you can do it or get some help, that'll give you skill that you'll be glad to have for other things later. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend buying your adapter. The prices they're being sold for are really very good -- the guy who builds them is not making much money for his efforts at all.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:43 AM
rider_89

Thanks sooo much! I am starting the construction soon, I am pretty good at soldering, I should be ok at that stuff, do you have any idea where to buy the Buddy Socket Male? Because my radio has the port thingy, I guess "female" but I need the part to plug in the male part, do u know where to buy that?

Thanks again so much for your help!
Old 12-17-2003, 09:56 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why bother with a time consuming build to save $10?

Go to this link. He sells the FMS interface for your transmitter for $22 shipped, unless he raised his price recently.
http://www.mattclement.freeservers.com/fms/fms.html
Dennis-
Old 12-17-2003, 10:08 AM
Al Stein

Jameco electronics is a place that's got the parts and is available by the web. (www.jameco.com)

Something you should do is tie the grounding jacket of the plug to the designated ground pins. Using that outer jacket as a ground is sometimes unreliable -- my adapter suffered gradually worsening glitches from it until I added a jumper there.

I'd also consider adding an external power supply through the appropriate pins instead of using the transmitter's own batteries. (I notices that the Tom's site that Askalon referred to uses external power. It's a good idea I've been meaning to do for mine but haven't gotten around to.)
Old 12-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Askalon

Al Stein said:

I'd also consider adding an external power supply through the appropriate pins instead of using the transmitter's own batteries. (I notices that the Tom's site that Askalon referred to uses external power. It's a good idea I've been meaning to do for mine but haven't gotten around to.)
Yes for Futaba you can do that which is great, but for JR your stuck to using your own batteries. This is just an FYI for those that have JR and see this and say oh cool and try to get one so they won't be disappointed to find out it is not possible.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:05 PM
rider_89

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

Why bother with a time consuming build to save $10?

Go to this link. He sells the FMS interface for your transmitter for $22 shipped, unless he raised his price recently.
http://www.mattclement.freeservers.com/fms/fms.html
Dennis-
It doesn't matter might as well make one for like $5, I am doing it as a choice project for school.