Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How should I secure my canopy? Screws? Glue?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I secure my canopy? Screws? Glue?

It's a tiger II.

The manual says to use screws, but I'm afraid that fuel will get in there and wreck my pilot.

What type of glue should I use? Elmers? or CA or Epoxy?
Old 12-20-2003, 04:36 PM
Hypter
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: How should I secure my canopy? Screws? Glue?

I would use screws and then put some trim tape over it, if you are going to use glue get some canopy glue, CA may cause it to fog up.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

What is canopy glue?!?

Can I find it in a hardware store?

I sure found Blind Nuts at Spags! They were 5 cents each for 6-35s, but they were called Tee-Nuts.

I sure found a good deal! I also found some cheap Thread-Locker for 2.99!!! And it was by LocTite, blue threadlocker.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Hypter
My Feedback: (2)

Tower Hobbies sells it --

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCX70&P=7

You may find it at an LHS, of something similar at a Hardware Store.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:21 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the past I've used screws to mount my canopies. To do it cheaply, before actually mounting them, cut strips of black electrical tape into 1/4" wide strips and fold them over the edge of the canopy so there's about an 1/8" inside and 1/8" outside. Predrill small holes (1/16") through the canopy and into the fuse so that the screws don't crack the canopy or split the wood. Drip CA into the holes in the fuse after you run the screws in once (and back out). The CA will harden the holes so the screws won't strip the hole so easily.
Dennis-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18991.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	84060  
Old 12-21-2003, 08:05 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

hey, DB, what pilot is that? 1/6 Scale?

I just got a williams Brothers 1/6 scale Civilian pilot.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:04 PM
DBCherry

That's actually a small Austin Powers that I bought at Walmart for about $3. He was standing on a platform that had a button on the side, when you pushed the button he said, "Shagadelic Baby".

Cut him off just above the waist. He even has a gold chain around his neck. He was the one responsible for putting in the Sportster though, so when I found the plane I left him in the briars. [:@]

When I get the Sportster back in the air I think I'll try a Crash Test Dummy.
Dennis-
Old 12-22-2003, 10:40 AM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Crash test dummy.... cool!

I'll put that in my next plane, whatever it may be.

PS. Is the black on the canopy the tape, or the cockpit insert?

You mean that you take the canopy, put electrical tape on the edges so that there is an equal amount on both sides, put it on the fuse, and screw it on?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:49 AM
gus

While people are recommending things, I'll put in my 2cents for canopy glue. I used a different brand than the one at the tower hobbies link, but that is not important. The pro's with the canoy glue" Gives a good, strong, flexible, shock-resistant, but yet totally transparent bond. No fuel, dust, vapour, or other foreign matter gets under the canopy.
Drawback is that it can not easily be undone. I nosed my UltraSport into the ground, and the canopy, and the canopy glue pretty much saved the back 2/3rds of the fuse (made the difference between totalled, and nearly totalled). Used a razor to cut through the glue, fixed the fuse, and then re-glued the canopy.

Well, before you go drilling holes through the canopy, I thought I would add some more weight behind the glue method.

gus
Old 12-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

okay.

What formula do you use?

It kinda sounds like the screws are winning.

My dad and I are sorta klutzes. Were probably gonna mess up on gluing the canpoy and maybe just, uh, mess up somehow.

(Can you believe we even messed up installing blind nuts?)
Old 12-22-2003, 02:53 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI YUB YUB! Why not use clear silicone caulk? mask off the fuselage around the perimeter of the canopy and dab it on with a stick, or just squeeze out a thin bead. A wet finger is the best tool to remove excess.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:59 AM
iflircaircraft

Hi Yub Yub:
What if you didn't use glue, slilcone or screws?
I've used double sided tranparent tape (3M).
Trace an outline of your canopy onto the fuse.
Place the transparent tape around the inside edge of the canopy aproximately 1/8" from the edge.
Using a sharp x-acto,, trim off the esposed tape from the outside of the cnopy.
Place the canopy onto the fuselage and use 1/4" auto trim tape to attach the canopy to the fuse.
Simple, no muss or fuss and is very durable.

Tom
Old 12-23-2003, 09:36 AM
DBCherry

Hey again Yub,
My preferred method is actually using covering material. Monokote, Ultracote, whatever the plane is covered with. But I know you don't have covering or the irons or anything yet.

I never had great luck with glues either, which is why I suggested the tape and screws method. Yes, the black is the tape. And yes, stick it to the outside (try not to touch the adhesive side very much), then fold it over to the inside and rub it down good with your finger nails. I believe it took 4 strips to do that canopy. 2 sides, back and front. If there is a tight corner or sharp radius, the tape will try to bunch up, especially on the inside, but if you work it carefully, you can get it to lay down pretty well.

When you drill the hole through the canopy, use a drill bit large enough to allow the threads of the screw to pass through. If you try to "screw" it through the plastic, you will likely crack the canopy. On the fuse, use a bit no larger than 1/16th inch, then install the screws in each hole in the fuse, remove them, and put a drop of CA in each hole to "harden" it. (Do not get any more CA on your fuse. ) I drilled the holes through the canopy first by laying the edge to be drilled on a block of wood. Drilled from the outside. Then I laid the canopy on the fuse, and adjusted it until I was happy. I used a pin to poke through the holes in the canopy and into the fuse a bit. That gave me the location for holes in the fuse.

I used 8 screws, all about the size of servo mounting screws, which have a nice. large head, that is flat on the bottom. (Helps keep the screw from pulling through the canopy.) The screws will hold the canopy firmly enough in place to keep any dirt or oil from getting inside, because the tape is flexible enough to form a seal.

The only problem with this technique is that the tape will eventually start to come loose. But I flew my Sportster at least 30 to 40 times this summer and it still looked like the day I applied it.

Just be sure to wash the canopy first with dish detergent or something to remove the mold release agent the manufacturer used; and use a good quality electrical tape. It sticks better and is more flexible.

Good Luck,
Dennis-
Old 12-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Montague

I've used Goop to glue on canopies a few times. Sticks well, is fuel proof and is flexible, so it gives a little. It's great stuff.

I've also just taped the canopy on a few planes with trim tape, no glue or screws or anything. Takes a little doing to get it on there good, but I have one that's been held on that way for 12+years.

If I think I might need to get inside, I use screws though. As long as the engine exhaust isn't pointed at the canopy, very very little gunk gets in there anyway.

I've done the screws-and-tape thing a couple of times, and I like it. You can also get some cool looking socket screws from microfasterners (and a few other places) that look kind of like they should be there.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:53 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use RC 56 for canopies, the old formula is the best. Just bought some pacer canopy glue and it looks just like RC 56. Those are the best. I don't like to use screws because you can't hide them and it ends up looking like an after thought. RC 56 can be put right on the covering and dries clear. Its good stuff.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:00 PM
CafeenMan

Speaking of pilots, check out the Balsa USA website. They have some cool guys you can use.

As far as glue goes, you should remove the covering where you're gluing because almost any glue will peel off monokote. If it doesn't peel off, it can lift the monokote from the structure.

Mask the canopy and sand the inside edge about 1/8" in all the way around where you will glue. Epoxy, silicone or Goop will work. No screws needed.