Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Finally on the air!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Finally on the air!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 11:09 AM
Georgioy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally on the air!

After the first flight,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1353640

Yesterday i tried for second time without wind,
the plane's take-off was successful but after 5 seconds with the first turn the engine turned
off...strange how i did it but landed it softly as it was more easy without the engine.
Tried again after some minutes and it crashed during the take off.

Yesterday night me with a friend was trying on the engine, rich-lean, up-down the nose...
i changed also some things like correcting tank's vibrations, little tubes lenght
and position, also got rid from this vertical tail adjustment which was on the same
axe with the throttle (up down engine, left right vertical tail) cause while opening the
throttle i was turning the tail by mistake.
Putted it in another little control on the remote.

So today i was disappointed was thinking to sell it before distroy it, or try again...couldnt find a place
without small rocks and in no case would try on a public road, so the only option was again
a little road of 15 meters with small rocks.

Well, thought last chance... no friends this time with me as they got disappointed too from the first two tries.

Tried to taxi, the wind was about 50km (again) !! it wasnt easy for the plane and i couldnt
make it go straight as also the road had some small rocks and small holes.

So once it was going straight opened the throttle to full with lot of thoughts passing my mind, like it will
take-off, will crash down, will turn off? but anyway was prepared to put its pieces in my car and finish with this.

Pulled back (gently this time) the elevator and it was on the air, against the wind with a bit elevator,
! the engine didnt turn off this time and it didnt stall ! but was wondering if that was good!
! it was flying like a big airplane! the responses and turns was very sudden and the wind was helping on additional errors.
Once it was caming on me who was already nervous! couldnt manage it but was trying, i had to keep it close
to me and far from the sea and the houses 500 meters from me. Got it some height and was trying to practice,
slowed the engine down in different positions as also at idle, few times it stalled but opening full throttle
was coming back! The thing i couldnt accept was that it was going FAST and responses was excessive.

After a while started thinking that i must land it... had read in your forum that instructors says to fly a
little first near and parallel to the ground and tried it, but again too much speed, closing it wasnt an option as
the wind wasnt agree, tried 2-3 times with low throttle as i could have the control over the air, one wheel touched
the land and it stopped with out damages at all. I cant say it "landing" but the result was good.

Impressions

Sell isnt an option.
It goes FAST.
It would be nice if we had instructors or an experienced on planes here.
It needs bigger area to fly.
Its exciting
Old 12-21-2003, 11:38 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Finally on the air!

Sounds like you're doing a good job with not having an instructor to help. The common error is too much stick movement as you found out on takeoff. Small and gentle input makes errors less radical. Most beginners forget to throttle back after takeoff and fly about half throttle. To be slower at landing, you have to start lowering speed on the downwind leg so the plane starts losing height and speed so you don't have to dive down at the field (road) to land. This causes the speed to increase again. Keep trying and don't give up. Each flight, everything will start to be easier.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:53 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Georgio,
Congratulaions! You are doing well for not having an instructor.

I am happy that you have decided to keep the plane. Now you can tell your friends to come out with you again!
Dennis-
Old 12-22-2003, 04:24 AM
Georgioy

One big problem is that with the sticks like Randy sayd, so today new modifications applyed on the elevator and ailerons servos.

In the begin i had use the outest holes (servos) and that was giving more movement, so used their closed to the servo axis holes, making moves much softer.

As i try on roads like this lowered down the back wheels axis too, so now its nose goes up and is more stable on taxi and take-off.

The vertical tail servo is still out of the remote's main axis and will stay there some time.

Dennis you know my name? thanks for your nice words and for the help on previous posts.
About the instructor i am not trying to do the smart here, just wanted some help and i had it, you cant imagine what help your forums give for engine/construction problems as for virtual lessons.

Already thinking to buy one more for backup and a smaller for practice.

Today i will try again with a friend and a v-camera, wondering again what will happen with this little 747.

Thanks again for your help
Old 12-22-2003, 10:14 AM
hookedonrc

Please don't take this wrong, but if you are learning to fly without an instructor, flying on calm days might be better for you. Not that you shouldn't learn to fly in the wind, just that it is much easier that when you are not knocked around on both the ground and in the air when you are first beginning. As others have said, it does sound like you are doing well otherwise. Don't give it up, it is a blast.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:58 AM
DBCherry

Georgio,
Yes, I remembered your name from ealier posts, but it's also in your RCU name.

I know you do not have access to an instructor, and am VERY happy you have been able to get it into the air and fly!

The best part of giving advice on RCU is when you know it has helped someone.

Someday soon, you will be giving help to others too.
Dennis-
Old 12-30-2003, 04:52 AM
Georgioy

Thanks for your answers and sorry for the delay but i left suddenly for holidays.

Yesterday i went to fly it again, but before disabled at all the vertical tail servo.
The take-off was normal and during the fly it had some nose up which tuned of the transmitter and it was flying straight, but again looks like its tail-heavy.

This time i had 1km range and the time for one deposit, again things wasnt easy, as i had the throttle to about 1/3 it was still flying very fast and finally crashed with the nose down and broked the firewall.

Worked last night and repaired it...
Wondering if i can make it fly more slow and much more stable than this, in flight simulators have seen that flaps do that, is possible to add some kind of these?

Something very good is that the engine problems has finished for good, easy start, good idle and it doesnt turning off.

Also its the right way for a beginner to fly it with the wings servos or is better try with the vertical tail for left-right?
I prefer for this start not using both of them and making it more confusing.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:43 AM
DBCherry

You are better off using the ailerons for turning to begin. (On the wings.) The rudder (on the tail) will help when you get more experience.

Your plane has the wing on top of the fuselage, yes? If so, when balancing the airplane put one finger under each wing, where it joins the fuselage, at the thickest part of the wing. It should be level when you hold it, or the nose should be down a little. Balancing too far forward is much better than too far back.

Flaps will help the airplane fly slow, BUT! they will also make it easier to "stall" the wing and crash. Flying TOO slowly is also bad. [:@] I am guessing, but think that your airplane MUST fly about 40 kph or more to stay in the air during flight. When landing it should be closer to 20kph, I think.

Good luck,
Dennis-