Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Re: 22 Years later.....

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Re: 22 Years later.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 02:43 AM
Langster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 22 Years later.....

Hi All,

I have returned to RC modeling after 22 years of doing other things. In the period 1978 to 1981 I was actively involved in RC models and flew everything from slope soarers, a Cirrus on high lift, Hustler trainer, Quickie 500, camera planes, flying disks and even successfully made a working hovercraft from scratch parts. While I have been away ARF planes have become really common and technology has changed quite a bit from my old country airfield (e.g., Turbines, 3D planes, sophisticated electric planes).

Now I am back to the RC scene and I am keen to use my largest engine that I had in storage, an OS .40 Max with full length tuned pipe and am looking for a plane to suit. Although I know that I will be rusty for a while and will seek some assistance on the first few flights, I have recently visited some flying days and know that I would very quickly tire of any sort of trainer. I am looking at something like a "Lanier Javelin ARF", a "CAP 232", etc. Essentially I am looking for a sport type plane that I can use for aerobatic maneuvers. Then when I have enough experience I plan to purchase a larger engine and move to bigger planes with more working surfaces (e.g. flaps, retractables, etc).

Can anyone make any suggestions regarding my next plane? I would also appreciate any assistance with ideas to bring my engines back to life after 22 years in hibernation.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers
Old 12-22-2003, 10:47 AM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Default RE: Re: 22 Years later.....

How about a Tiger II? It will be a bit underpowered though. A tiger II with a .46FX has limited vertical.

Oh yeah! I forgot. You have a tuned pipe.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:48 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Langfire, welcome back!

This is a great place, and you're sure to get a lot of "advice". So here's mine.

Look at the Great Planes Super Sportster, or the Sig 4 Star 40 for that .40 with tuned pipe. My preference is the Sportster, but many have had great luck with the 4*'s as a second plane.

Both are quite aerobatic, in the "pattern" sense of the word. Not capable of "3D" type flight though.

If you're truly interested in 3D, you could try a Sig Somethin' Extra which, when powered by a large enough engine, is capable of beginner type 3D. (I don't consider 3D "flying" personally, but.... I think any maneuver that would kill the pilot is pointless. )

Tower Hobbies is the largest mail order house in the states, maybe the world. Not sure what they would ship 'down under' though.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/

Here's the Sportster. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVR1&P=0

Good luck,
Dennis-
Old 12-22-2003, 10:49 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to RCU Langfire!

I have a few suggestions for you. First, I highly recommend the Midwest Areobat. It is inexpensive, and goes together in less than 6 hours, and it's an absolute joy to fly, here's a review:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=164

A few others to look into would be the Sig Something Extra, or 4-star 40. You won't find too much 3-D stuff that would make it with a 40, but you might try a Modeltech Magic Extra 300.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:53 AM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, forgot.

Latest technology for those old engines....
Buy a "crock pot", or "slow cooker". Essentially a ceramic covered pot with a heating element for slow cooking food.
Buy a jug of "antifreeze" used in cars. Not the "Earth friendly" stuff, the real stuff.

Remove the "O" ring of the carb and the backplate and head of the engine, and submere it in antifreeze in the cooker. Use low heat overnight, then warm water and a toothbrush the next day. With an engine that old, you may need to dis-assemble a bit further, but this will get the engine back to "nearly new" condition.

Oh, and of course, NEVER use the pot for cooking food after. The ceramic will absorb some antifreeze, which is extremely toxic!
Dennis-
Old 12-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Langster

Thank you for your welcome and suggestions,

I'll follow up on those planes and other recommendations.

I must admit its good to be back as there is so much new stuff to look at and appreciate, and in some cases purchase. One immense difference between when I was in RC 22 years ago and today is the use of the internet to source information, its brilliant....

Cheers

Langfire
Old 12-23-2003, 09:52 AM
outlaw aeromodeler

Langfire i allso have just returend from a long time away from the hobby i cant belive how much things have changed! as for your motor put it in antifreez in a crockpot on low for 12 hr no plastic! this will help a lot! motors are cheep to day don't trash your new plane because you want to use your old motor no mater what i did 2 times not 2 good on my part. there is a lot 2 relearn have fun with it!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:18 AM
Langster

Ihale,

Thanks for the advice. I know what you mean about the "use the old motor no matter what" but I am confident that this motor will be sound. However, if on the test bench the motor is not up to scratch then I'll have to gather the cash for a new one.

Cheers

Langfire
Old 01-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Langster

Thanks for the antifreeze tips,

I applied the suggestion and my 2 motors came up very clean and without any noticeable play in any of the bearings. I started my .40 engine with a tuned pipe today and it was running within a few spins of the prop. Do you have any suggestions of for example, 2 tankfuls of fuel, to ensure that everything holds up to the stress of running? I would plan to ensure that the engine will run at all angles when it is finally installed in the plane that I plan to build.

Anyway thanks for the antifreeze suggestion.

Cheers

Langfire
Old 01-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Jimmbbo

Welcome back - I was 15 years MIA till I got back into RC again last fall... Man, have things improved!!! Fortunately, I found RCU in the process, which was certainly NOT available in 1987 The forums and folks have been tremendous [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

For my first next generation airplane, I went with the Hobbico Avistar with a Tower .46 and a Futaba 9CAP, based on scanning the RCU forums... (Tower has been a terriffic supplier)

Have a couple of other ARFs in the wings (GP J3 and .40 Extra, Hobico PT17 and Spitfire) awaiting some flying proficiency and a Top Flite 1/7 P-51 on the building board, hopefully ready to go -both it and me next summer...

If you are planning to drop a few bucks on your return to the hobby, check out Tower's Super Saver club at http://www.towerhobbies.com/ssc.html They offer doubled warranties on Tower items and free shipping over $150...

Best

Jim