Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Flew first time in 6 years without instructor

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flew first time in 6 years without instructor

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 08:20 PM
SunTracker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flew first time in 6 years without instructor

Boy was it a hoot. Two friends and myself went to a deserted riverbed. We video-taped the whole thing. This was my first time flying the Sturdy Birdy II, and my first time flying a tail dragger.

On the first take-off, the plane was driving around on the ground like crazy, bouncing off stones and grassy patches. Ended up breaking a half inch off both ends of the prop. That didnt stop us though.

We decided to fly the plane with the broken props rather than hike back up the mountain. The plane rolled straight for about 15 feet, then started going in wide circles. It bounced in the air (luckily) and I got up. There was not enough positive elevator authority at all. With full elevator trim, the nose woudn't even stay level. I nearly ran into some power lines but dived below them. Then I discovered my next problem- I could not throttle back my engine. So I flew my plane around in crazy circles as my friends cowered behind me. I told them "watch, I'm going to do a loop", and two seconds later my engine died. Remembering my training, I pointed the plane into the wind, flaired at about three feet above ground level, and the plane softly plopped into the mud (and broke the prop).

The next (and last) flight, we replaced the prop and had to start the engine without the spinner on. My friend through it off the top of the cliff we were standing on (75 feet high) and the plane went STRAIGHT down. The engine was sputtering and I was pulling all the way back on the stick. The plane plopped into the mud and broke the prop. We headed home, muddy but happy.

All I need is a new prop, new spinner, and to get some new gas. Plan on trying again saturday.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:11 PM
ICE_MAN

Default RE: Flew first time in 6 years without instructor

Guess the STURDY birdy lives up to its name huh? By the way where can you get one?
Old 01-01-2004, 09:11 PM
impulse

Default RE: Flew first time in 6 years without instructor

Your lucky you didn't kill your self.