Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New JR XP6102 vs Airtronics 6000 Super

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New JR XP6102 vs Airtronics 6000 Super

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 10:21 PM
Taze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New JR XP6102 vs Airtronics 6000 Super

Hi all,

My first post in the forum. Anyway, I'm looking to get into RC airplanes. In searching for a radio that I could start out with and grow into I've narrowed my selection down to the new JR XP6102 and the Airtronics 6000 Super. The basis for this selection comes form, what seems to be a very knowledgible and creditable sales person at Hobbytown USA. Given the JR is new, steep with functionality, PCM ready, and has a much larger LCD, it seems to be the way go. If any of you vetrans could respond as to what your selection would be, I'd very much appreciate it.

Taze
Old 12-22-2003, 10:49 PM
Banned

Default RE: New JR XP6102 vs Airtronics 6000 Super

I'd get a very cost effective -->(cheap!) 4 channel for my trainer if money was any type of an object, or if I wasn't sure I was going to stick with the hobby. If money isn't an object, and/or you are sure that you'll stick with the hobby get at least an 8 channel. I currently own 5 and 6 channel JR's that can't handle all the functions of my 2nd plane, which is only an Ultra Stick 40. It needs 7 channels to do all the cool stuff since it has flaps. Even a HiTec Eclipse 7 channel won't handle it because it lacks some of the mixing features. Depending on the planes you buy in the future 6 channels may work great for you for years. But maybe not. It's going to depend on you, and your choices in the future if you have to end up buying twice, when you could've bought once. Here's some good advice. If you've got a local club anywhere's nearby go there and buy some of their used stuff. That way, with any luck, you'll be compatible with your instructor, and save a lot of money! It's good to meet your future instructors before you buy anything. And you can trust the guys at a field a bit more than a salesman who's looking at your wallet, or the funny Airtronics thing he's been stuck with for 3 months. - Joe
Old 12-23-2003, 11:08 AM
phread59

Joe has a few good pints. I would check with the instructors where you are going to fly. Find out what systems they have buddy boxes and chords for. And buy a system that fits with their equipment. My choice wouls be the JR set. Not because of any inferiorarity with the Airtronics gear. It is availability of gear, servo's from aftermarket suppliers and matching gear ect. You can get these items for JR anywhere. Airtronics is tougher to find and ordering is may times the only way to get it. Either set would do you well. I started with simple 4 channel stuff and regretted it. The need to buy a set for each plane just plain sucks.

However having said that. Think about this. Joe is right in that if you buy a standard 4 channel radio of the type that you want in a computer radio. You can buy your own chord and always have a buddy box. Also remember that you can take the reciever and servo's from the beginner radio and use them with the new computer rig. Just buy the same channel number(you can order specific channels from your LHS or from a mail order house, I do all the time to get the channels I want.) of your trainer set. Just some food for thought. BTW I fly Futaba because everyone I flew with used it exept 2 guys (airtronics and JR).

Mark Shuman
Old 12-24-2003, 09:51 AM
Taze

Thanks Joe and Mark.,

I took the plunge yesterday and purchased the JR 6102 since my friend with whom I will be learning to fly has a JR. Although I did not get a chance to hold the Airtronics, the JR felt good in my hands in comparison to the Futaba 6XAPS…for what it is worth. I also liked the larger display and according what seemed to be a very knowledgeable sales person at the LHS, the new JR has a boatload of programming flexibility. I also, went with a GWS Slow Stick plane, Hitec HS 55 servos, ElectriFly C-10 Micro Speed Control 1200 Lipo battery and a Hobbico Quick Field Charger II as my first setup. Hopefully, this will serve me well. Now the only bad thing, since it was a pre-selected birthday gift , I won’t be able to get started until the 28th.

Thanks for your input. I’m sure I’ll have lots of other questions once I get going.