Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

hobbyzone firebird

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

hobbyzone firebird

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 08:57 PM
rbfoley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hobbyzone firebird

any opinions on this one?

can it fly well? stable? can it withstand crashes well?
Old 12-23-2003, 09:09 PM
wrongwaywayne

Default RE: hobbyzone firebird

What sort of rc flying experience do you have?
Where do you fly?

As far a crasses go nothing does really well except maybe a brick. I t does have one thing going for it crash wise with the prop being a pusher.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

TELL ME IF YOU GET ONE SO I WILL HAVE TIME TO INVEST IN STOCK AT TYLENOL AND YES ITS MADE TO CRASH " alot"
Old 12-23-2003, 11:09 PM
1rcflier

It's good for getting a first feel for flying. Don't fly in any kind of breeze though...the motor isn't strong enough to bring it back, as I found out.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:59 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If it is all you can afford, it is a good plane. The Aerobird would be a much better choice, but costs more. The Firebird is only a two channel plane. The Aerobird is a three channel plane.

I have an Aerobird and I love it.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:19 PM
WCB

My brother has a Firebird. I have an Aerobird. I flew his Firebird for about 2 minutes and handed the Tx back to him. Aerobird flies much better and is the same as far as crash worthiness goes. Costs more but here you definitely get what ya pay for.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:42 PM
rbfoley

i've heard that the aerobird is "harder to fy" because it has 3, instead of 2, channels. will a pure beginner (like me) be able to fly the aerobird?
Old 12-25-2003, 10:54 AM
WCB

You won't have a great deal of difficulty flying the Aerobird even as a first timer. It will take you a few flights to get the hang of it then you will be all set. Keep it up high to begin with till you learn to control it. Back off the throttle to about half once you get some altitude and just sail around in big wide circles while learning the controls. When you start losing power that tells you the battery is dying so start looking for a place to land. When landing just let it glide down and settle in soft .
hint: if you are flying on grass leave the landing gear off..you won't need it and make slow deliberate control inputs rather than slamming the stick around and you will get smoother turns. *BE CAREFUL OF WIND...neither Aerobird nor Firebird handle wind well. A strong breeze can carry the plane away as it may not have enough power to fly through it. My brother has already had to cut a tree down to get his back. hehehe! I warned him.

Whichever bird you decide on have fun and good luck. Happy Holidays.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:52 PM
cliff600
My Feedback: (3)

I bought an Aerobird about two years ago and I learned to fly it by myself. Now I hate it, it is not even close to flying a real r/c plane. I now own a Hobbico Superstar 40, Piper Cub 40, Funtana and my newest a Extra 330S 1/3 scale. I had flying experience before,but I got out of it for a long time and the Aerobird got me back in it, for that I liked it, but I really recommend a better plane ie... a superstar or tower trainer. You will like that a lot more in the long run.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:37 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RBFoley,
There are "degrees" of airplanes when starting out in this hobby. I think you're just beginning to see that.

You can buy some "2 channel trainers" for as little as $60. Chances are they won't fly, or if they do, they'll fly poorly.

Then you have the 3 channel Aerobird, and others like it. They're okay if it's all you can afford, or all you want to commit to.

Top of the list is probably a .40 size, glow fuel powered, 4 channel trainer. $400 to $450 for plane, engine, radio equipment and the extra stuff you'll need to assemble and run it. You absolutely should also join the AMA ($58) and a local RC club ($25 to $100), and have an instructor (Free) teach you, because these are the least likely to survive learning on your own

If you find that you enjoy RC flying, chances are you will eventually get to "glow powered" aircraft, or larger "electrics" which also cost in the $400 range.

Good luck and welcome!
Dennis-