Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

High Band / Low Band

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

High Band / Low Band

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 08:07 PM
TanJMcAdams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Band / Low Band

What is the difference in high and low band radios. Just the frequency used. 36 - 60 for high and the 1- 35 for low. Is a crystal change all that is required to convert??

James
Old 12-27-2003, 10:13 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: High Band / Low Band

Futaba is the only manufacturer that sets their radio equipment up as high and low bands. Crystals from the high band channels can not be used in low band, nor vice versa. In fact, to be safe, I wouldn't change crystals by more than 1 or 2 channels either direction either. (ie. Receiver on channel 50, don't go beyond 48 or 52.)

It is also illegal to change transmitter crystals in the US, period.
Dennis-
Old 12-30-2003, 11:05 PM
wildmike27

So what's the difference in the two bands other than high and low numerals?
I thought that if you changed 1 xtal you must change the other, if tx is on chan. 50 then rx must be on 50, is this correct?
I'm new to the hobby, and this is an excelent forum.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2003, 11:22 PM
TanJMcAdams

Hard to die in an RC airplane, unless it hits you> LOL.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:13 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct. The transmitter and receiver must be on the same frequency for them to work together. The USA, unlike many other countries, prohibits consumers from changing transmitter crystals. (It is OK to exchange receiver crystals.) So if you need to change crystals in a transmitter legally, it should be done by a licensed service center.

Here is a link to a thread that has some info about changing transmitter crystals in the US.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1340204

Eric
Old 12-31-2003, 10:22 AM
Montague

To answer your question directly, there is absolutly no difference at all between "high band" and "low band". None of the other radio companies have any such thing. (actually, I have a JR AM RX from 1986 around here somewhere that says "low band" on it. why I haven't tossed it is anyones guess, it's surely not safe these days).

The split between the two is arbitrary. The actualy frequecies used are all evenly spaced, there's no gap or anything to mark "high" from "low". They just decided to split the channels in two at the half way point and declare the upper channels as high and the lower as low. You could, if you wanted, spilt it in thirds, and declare there to be a "high", "mid", and "low" band, and you'd be just as correct as Futaba, you'd just get people looking at you funny.

I'm going to take a guess here, but I suspect the reason Futaba still does the high-low thing is that their RX's need a bit more tuning than other brands, so they are limited in how far they can be changed with out causing a problem.