Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

approach/landing help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

approach/landing help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 05:55 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default approach/landing help

Man i just cant seem to grasp it.. me and my great instructor tried several times today.. i can level the plane and slowly decend i just cant line it up right... my approach is horrible any tips?!?!?[&o]

o and i lined it up after my turns on approach and busted a prop the last landing of the day... imma keep the prop so i can show ppl my first landing try
Old 12-28-2003, 06:39 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default RE: approach/landing help

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but lots of practice.I ask my students to fly past the field then cut throttle to 1/4 speed,then make a 90 degree turn,fly straight till close in line with runway then make another 90 degree turn for approach to runway,keep the plane dropping by slowing engine,just before wheels touch,start adding up ele for flair,if plane bounces then speed was to fast. Landing is the hardest part of flying.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

yes .. thats what my instructor said... but thats where my prob is.. i cant line up! i have a depth persecption prblem or something[>:][&o]
Old 12-28-2003, 07:01 PM
TerrellFlyer

Hi ChrisHays, don't feel bad, that is a very common problem,we've all been there,just keep practicing, it'll come
Old 12-28-2003, 07:06 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

blahh.. LOL hopefully it will.. i just hate it when the OLDER guys are watchimg and making all those noises when i lose it or what have you... just makes me kinda upset... i outta bring them in my world and put them on a 200+mph sportbike and take them through some curves at 3X the speed limit.. then i can make some noises...
Old 12-28-2003, 07:20 PM
HOOTER

I use this sometimes when I have students that have your problem. Make a long downwind turn and when you get to where you think you are lined up with the field fly the plane toward yourself, when your instructer tells you are over the field then switch your concentation on the center of the field. I know it sounds wierd but it works, but remember when you cross the threshhold of the field line up on the center of the field and concentrate on wings level, center of the field, and flaring.
Nine times out of ten you will be in the center when you cross the threshold, but you need to make a long approach to use this method!!
Old 12-28-2003, 07:52 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello chris,

your not alone, i was like that also until my instructor had me fly the downwind leg, make my turn line the plane up with my shoulder coming right at me on the final and THEN once it was coming to me and over the middle of the runway, turn and finish lining it up right in the middle of the runway. it worked great, and now dont even think about it. i just aim it at my shoulder until im at the threshold and make my turn in the middle hope this helps you and please let me know if it works for you . good luck.

bassman

LOL hooter i think i need to refresh my page more often i didnt see your post until after i put mine up GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE
Old 12-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding lining up problems. Make your approach the way your instructor tells you to. When you are about to make your turn from base to final, don't try to line up with the center of the runway. Instead, position the plane in the air to be in line vertically over the INSIDE edge of the runway and try to keep it on that line as you get closer to the runway. When you get over the runway you will most likely find your plane very close to the middle using this method.

Try to make your base turn to final at an altitude that lets you see both the ground under the plane and the plane itself. Meaning to not be so high that all you see around the plane is sky. The hardest part of using this technique is mentally extending the edge of the runway out to where you are making your base to final turn.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:40 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

If I had to guess, you line up too far. You're parallel with the runway, just at the far side or not over it. This is VERY typical of new flyers. The good news is that it is really easy to fix. Try this....

First, when you fly, make sure that your feet are always shoulder width apart and more importantly, pointed perpendicular to the runway. Make your downwind leg and your turn to the base leg as usual. Here is the trick. Without turning your body, just follow the plane by turning your head. Keep the plane on the base leg until your head has turned as far as you can without twisting your body. THEN make your turn to final.

I know. You are sure that your plane with fly right over your head or even behind you. It won't. Your head really can't turn that far. It's a great way to guage when to make your final turn. Try it a few times at altitude. Trust me. It works.

Have fun!
Old 12-28-2003, 10:20 PM
RevGQ

Greetings: I just glanced at the replies you have received thus far and did not notice any comments on using the rudder of the airplane. My guess is that you are flying solely with ailerons. If this assumption is correct then let me advise you to spend the time it takes to learn proper rudder imputs.
Not only will you gain substantial control in lining up your final approach, but what is even better is the fact that you will learn how to save planes from crashing, particularly when it comes to the military type. Yes it will seem difficult but remember life's lessons learned that the easy way is not always the best. Put some time in learning proper rudder imputs, it was the best lesson I ever learned in flying RC planes
Good Luck and Happy Flying!
Old 12-28-2003, 10:38 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without trying to start an arguement, it appeared that Mr. Hayes is new enough to the game that just making the approach is a difficult proposition. I agree that properly using the rudder is an integral part of flying the plane, but you can only learn so many things at once. Getting the plane to the proper approach point relys more on elevator, ailerons, and throttle management. Keeping the plane on the approach path is played out largely by the rudder, throttle, and ailerons.

As a full scale instructor, it was quite common for me to operate the rudder pedals while my students built the beginnings of hand, eye, foot coordination. So is the case with the majority of my R/C students. This also applies to many of the students belonging to other instructors.

Though they are instructed continuously in the use of rudder, it takes a while for them to develop the thought patterns and need to use the rudder. I don't like to overload a student to the point that one day they just don't come back.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:39 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

I have to try that Chevelle. I'm turning way too early and sometimes landing 30 meters in front of where I'm standing. Big open field so that's not a problem, but it gets a little hard to see what's going on.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:13 AM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

30 meters between your airplane and yourself is not a bad thing. Just because everyone else is landing at thier feet may not be the safest landing. Be patient and practice flying at 1/2 throttle down the runway for a while. There is no substitute for flight time.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:51 AM
BenWillis

Chris,

What I teach my student, ones with perception deficiencies, is to identify and use landmarks to establish their landing pattern and line up on the runway. The last "landmark" being the students shoulder closest to the runway, usually their left. As they come in on final and have a good decent rate they are concentrating on pointing the nose at their shoulder, once it is obvious that the plane isn't to short or long I have them transition the nose of the plane toward the runway. My student are hitting the runway, we have a paved and grass strip, on touch and goes with proficiency.

It is also important not to over control the plane when on final approach. I see many instructors ignoring this when their student has the plane banked at +45 deg to get lined up. What that tells me is that they weren't set up correctly in the first place.

If you ever make it up to the Upstate stop by our field and we'll get on the buddy box!!!

Ben in SC
President, Tri-County RC
Old 12-29-2003, 10:16 AM
AbuAnas

Hi

Please execuse my language (English is not my native language), and execuse my being so begginer..

I have read here few terms that I would like to know their exact meanings:

- Upwind and downwind
- Final and base legs

thanks alot..
Old 12-29-2003, 10:22 AM
Montague

Obviously, it's just a matter of practice and getting comfortable. I also have had several students go though this exact thing.

A lot of good ideas above.

What I do, is get the student to just to normal laps around the field about 100' up, no glide path, no idling down, no attempt to land just level laps. Just make the close side of the box pattern right over the runway. I call out "inside, outside" if necessary. Keep doing that, in both directions, then slowly come down and then start working in the throttle management. It quickly becomes easy to put the plane right where you want it, which is the key.

When I was taught, my instructor taught me to visualize a series of boxes or checkpoints, and fly the plane though those. It works if you are a visual thinker, and you know what a good approach should look like, but I've found is confusing to a lot of people, even though it worked for me.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:34 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an idea that I have not personally tried, but it is similar to our field conditions. On each end of our runway and about 50-100 feet off the end we have a mowed patch of grass that is just the width of the runway and lined up with it. When we land, we cross over the mowed patch and you can tell where you are in relation to the landing area. Now I dont suggest mowing your field since I do not know how yours is set up, but you have indicated it is pretty open. So..go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a roll or two of Surveyors Flagging. It is about 2" wide and looks like crepe paper rolled up, but it is plastic (Get the Neon Orange color). Unroll it on the ground starting in the center of the runway at the end and extend it out about 100'. It might need some weight to keep it from blowing around, but you can put nails through it and push them in. (Make sure you pick up afterwards.) Anyway, if you do this on the end you will be approaching from, you can tell if you are left or right of center "before" you reach the landing surface. BTW: My depth perception gave me fits for a long time. Just like everyone has said, give it time and practice, you will get there.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here you go Abu:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51455.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	85983  
Old 12-29-2003, 09:45 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you flying your upwind leg directly over the runway? That's one thing my instructor insists on, that the upwind leg is right down the center of the runway. Usually isn't a problem, because if someone is taking off they wait untill your're on the upwind to roll. Of course, you could just find somewhere to fly with a wider runway....

Andy