Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

MEGATECH NITRO CAPITOL FLYER

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 09:51 PM
twindaddy_1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MEGATECH NITRO CAPITOL FLYER

Well I can tell you this so far...........The advertising that the plane can be ready to fly in 2 hours is total bull#%$*. The instructions are 2 pages of half#&* B&W pictures with a very vague comment on the end project. The MEGATECH people should take a long hard look at their marketing strategy. I am probably one of the few luckier people to get their hands on this kit due to my 10+ years experience building and flying helicopters. The level of mechanical aptitude necessary to deal with heli's, and my Engineering Education, are allowing me to build the MEGATECH NITRO CAPITOL FLYER to a capacity to atleast fly reliably. What do I mean reliably........

(1) Let's discuss the lack of directions to tell the average lay person the control rods will need to be bent at various locations allowing them to move freely and correctly. I can see how many a newbie had a catastrophic flight failure and never had any idea why other than to say the plane is junk. If a clevis comes disconnected during flight due to binding caused by incorrect installation the individual would have no way of discovering this due to the plane probably being destoyed.
(In this case the throttle, and front wheel linkage which is also hooked to rudder)

(2) It is using wingnuts to hold the landing gear on, and that was clean and easy enough, but the wingnuts for holding the wings to the dihedral brace are not long enough and I will need to make a trip for new ones.

(3) The location they tell you to put the recever is to far from the manufactured lacation for the power switch thus requiring another trip for another part, an extension.

(4) The ailerons will require some TLC at the ends where they meet the wing, slight rubbing.

These are just a few items I feel I need to mention.

As for the finish of the plane as I received it in the box I don't have any major complaints for a $100 ARF. I do have high hopes for the plane and I am looking forward to getting it out. I am using a JR Propo PCM radio I use on my heli so I have great programming control of all the control surfaces. Going to start with plain ole linear then hopefully progress to expo and maybe even play with the dual rates a little. I have been practicing in RFG2 with the PT40 trainer as is and have progresesed up to successfully landing the Ultimate Biplane 7 out of 10 times. I have come to realize this is a hated plane but I think if it is set up correctly it will be just fine and I intend on getting the opinion of someone with more plane time than me once it is ready to fly. Will probably let experienced plane guy take it up first just to make sure it isn't my lack of hands on plane stick time if it hits the ground like a ton of bricks.

Here are a few pics of the control rods:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38164.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	85874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14274.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	85875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87275.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	85876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq45152.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	85877  
Old 12-28-2003, 10:15 PM
jester125

Default RE: MEGATECH NITRO CAPITOL FLYER

If it flies anything like its cheaper heavier plastic counterpart you have my deepest sympathy. I bought mine and crashed it every flight last fall. Thought I could use it as a trainer, very bad idea. I learned my lesson and I am now in the process of building a Sig LT-40 for my first "real" trainer. Good luck with yours.

chris
Old 12-28-2003, 11:03 PM
twindaddy_1

Just curious if you had any one else who has been flying for some time try to fly this plane. I am not trying to pick on your flying capabilities. I appreciate your input but I would like to hear how this plane flies in the hands of a veteran.

I am new to the planes and I don't intend to go it alone the first time out like I did 10 years ago with the heli's.

BUILD, FLY, CRASH, BUILD, FLY, CRASH, .............................................Oh I had fun though

Name:	Wt59326.jpg
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	85900  
Old 12-28-2003, 11:04 PM
CGCOMM3RET

I got this plane for Christmas as a gift (and because I liked the looks of the plane). I have a friend that gave me a motor to use in it because the motor is too small for what he flies now.

I just sent him an E-Mail and told him to check out this thread and that he would probably get the first flight of the plane.

Thanks for the heads up.

Larry
Old 12-28-2003, 11:19 PM
twindaddy_1

Let me know how it goes. I am putting an OS 46 in mine. Slightly larger than the 40 they say it will fly with so I went on that old assumption "bigger is better".

This is my goal:[sm=thumbup.gif]

Name:	He97291.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	85905  
Old 12-29-2003, 12:23 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By "goal", I'm assuming that you expect to move up to larger, more highly powered aircraft, and not that you expect your trainer to hover with a 46.

Megatech has a pretty shady reputation and their marketing strategy seems to be, "sell them sucka's our product", without regard to truth in advertising, or their reputation. I don't expect to see them around in 10 years unless they make some drastic changes.

I hope you'll continue to spread the word. I try to.
Dennis-
Old 12-29-2003, 07:52 AM
twindaddy_1

Yeah maybe, but don't you think if I could do that with the trainer I'd be ready to move up to something better then?

Definitely doin' a Bipe next!!! Who's I don't know yet.

Name:	Vt56462.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	85952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93931.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	85953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33609.jpg
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	85954  
Old 12-29-2003, 08:52 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saying, a 46 will be plenty of power for flying, but won't even give you unlimited vertical, never mind allow it to hover. A .61FX should give it unlimited vertical, still not sure it would pull out of a hover.

You be surprised what some new people have for expectations. Not knowing you made me ask.
Dennis-
Old 12-29-2003, 08:58 AM
twindaddy_1

Bigger is better!![sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Name:	Ay75862.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	85965  
Old 12-29-2003, 10:34 PM
CGCOMM3RET

Twindaddy_1

The engine that I was given is a O.S. FS-61. This was the only plane I could find online that would fit the engine.

I'll let you know in a few months how if flies with this engine.

I got word back from the guy that gave me the engine (Tmoth). He said he would take a look at this thread and was sure we could fix any problems. He currently is working on a 118" Me 110 and has a thread going on the build in the Warbirds and Warplanes thread. The thread is titled "Don Smith Me 110 Build"

Larry
Old 12-30-2003, 07:21 AM
twindaddy_1

Thanks, in the mean time ask him if he has any ideas on elevator and aileron throw distances for this thing. That is another issue not covered in the directions.

I have the elevator set at 10 deg up and down and the aileron at 16 deg. up and 12 down on the trainer I am editing in RFG2. Flying this with no problems but not sure how realistic it is.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:37 PM
CGCOMM3RET

He might not be able to help until we start putting mine together. I have asked him to check out this thread. Maybe I'll tell him to come on it and give you some ideas on those throw distances.

Larry
Old 01-03-2004, 01:35 AM
CGCOMM3RET

Twindaddy_1

My better half wanted me to open the box the plane is in and make sure everything is there. Took me a while, and a beer or two, to find everything.

I read through the instructions. Seems pretty straight forward, but I will trust yours and Tmoth4's judgement when it comes to assembly.

I did notice that they put approx 1/4" holes in the horiz. stab/elevator assembly to put the vert stab/rudder assembly through. I didn't look that close at the fuse to see what was there. I didn't see any kind of indication where in that 1/4" area things had to go to be centered. Kinda rough to me if you want to get everything exactly centered on the plane don't you think? I mean if you don't get the vert. stab centered correctly, your gonna have problems with straight flight. Looks like I will have to do a little measuring to make sure everything on the tail lines up correctly and looks good.

How did you get around this, or did you notice it?

Larry
Old 01-12-2004, 01:16 AM
jw24

Just put mine in the air with apprehension, after reading all the posts. Set it up with 0 dehedral and an evolution 46. It needed 6 oz of lead in the rear to balance. Well after it's maidend voyage and several manual adjustments, we got it to fly straight and level. From that point on it was a joy to fly. Able to due basic areobatics. Landing was a little fast but decent was very managable.

Had to change the pushrod on the throttle as the wire they used was smaller then the 2-56 clevis provided. I will be gluing the wings together as I had to use longer bolts as explained on original message. I just don't trust them. The fin and stablizler received lock tite.

For $90, not bad, with a few minor adjustments.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:03 PM
CGCOMM3RET

JW24

Thanks for the tip on the lead weight. Will keep that in mind when I start assembling mine. Gonna be awhile as we just got another 2-3 inches of that white stuff[:@] that is verbotin to say in this house.

Larry
Old 01-16-2004, 10:41 PM
texasedge

Thanks for your comments and pictures! I found about the same thing you did on this Megatech Capitol Flyer, definitely not ready to go in two hours and I feel sorry for the inexperienced hobbiest that tries this plane on their own. Anyway, I have a few questions and would appreciate the help.

1. Should I glue up the wing? Using the included hardware, the wing halves look like they have too much play. I prefer NO PLAY in the wing assembly.

2. I followed the instructions and put the receiver behind the servo tray and the battery in front of the tray. Is this likely to be a good setup? There was a piece of wood included with two sided tape on both sides but no mention of it in the instructions.

Any other thoughts on setting this plane up right?
Old 01-17-2004, 04:21 PM
twindaddy_1

Well boy's it just keeps getting better. Some would say this is my fault and they are probably right but it is just another example of don't take anything for granted with this plane. I was breaking the motor in last Saturday with the plane clamped in my workmate, running the motor an OS46LA which started right up and is puring like a kitten, when as I am burning the 3rd tank af gas I notice the inner compartment of the plane is filling with fuel!!!

Yes folks they installed the tank but did not tighten the little screw right there on the front of the tank and well neither did I. Of course I assumed they did since they make such a big hub bub about it being preinstalled. So today I'm delousing the plane and reinstalling the battery(nimh) and receiver.

I am installing the battery in the front with double sided tape and then sticking the receiver to the battery. It seems to be more accessible and the weight shouldn't be an issue. This is how I had the battery receiver in my heli for 10 years and had no problems with it.

As for the main wing yes I agree something needs to be done and gluing may be the fix. I think I am going to set mine up without the dihedral due to the fact I have been practicing on my Realflight G2 simulator with add-on 1 everyday for the past month and there I have progreesed way past the trainers and now landing every single plane available including the ducted fan jet. But, back to your question I did set the wing up with no dihedral and the included wood spacer and it seemed to fit together better.so It is really six to one 1/2 a dozen another.

Well break time is over back to the shop. Good luck and keep it in the air.

If the tank can slide back and forth the screw is not tight enough. After tightening I used a n automotive brake bleeder to check the tank by pulling a vacuum to see if it would hold and it did. Overkill I know but I dont want to go through this again.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:11 PM
texasedge

Thanks for the tank tip. I checked mine and it seems OK. I'm about ready to check the balance so I'll make final decisions on battery/radio locations then.

I'm gonna try the stock setup on the wing with 0 degree dihedral. If it performs reasonably well, I'll glue it up after I'm convinced it will be OK.

Keep the tips coming, this thread has already been a big help.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:45 PM
CGCOMM3RET

Twindaddy_1

Thanks for the tip. I have begun copying these tips over to Word and saving them there so I can refer to them when I finally am able to assemble my plane.

Larry
Old 02-02-2004, 03:14 PM
texasedge

Update...

I did get the plane airborne this weekend. It performed reasonably well or at least as well as can be expected with a 40LA engine. My tank did turn out to be sealed pretty well but I am having trouble keeping the engine running. At this point I don't know if its getting air or if I'm just running it too lean.

I do plan to glue up the wing in the 0 degree dihedral mode. Once I got the plane trimmed properly, it flew like expected. Since I'm having engine problems I did have to land deadstick which was no problem.

All summed up, I'm pleased but not overly impressed by this plane.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Trung

Mine flew but crashed shortly after due to an excessive use of elevator on takeoff to avoid an obstacle and stalled. Its still in one piece and wont take long to repair. Im having a tough time finding a spot for the battery and the reciever. Can you guys post some pics on where you mount these two items? I used to put the reciever right behind the fuel tank and the battery behind the servo tray but the batter came loose and broke the fuselage durring the crash so I gotta put it at the front. And the wing halves dont fit togetehr nicely and I dont think Im ready for zero degree dihedral. How can I fix the wing and the battery placement? Thanks for any input. By the way, did they drill the hole for you servo mount screws? I had to drill them myself while the instruction said they were predrilled.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:47 PM
texasedge

I put the battery just forward of the servo tray and I put the receiver just behind the servo tray. In this configuration I didn't have to add weight anywhere to balance the plane per their recommendations. You will need to add some balsa or other supports to secure the battery as it tries to creep forward in use.

Regarding the servo mounting holes, none were there so they either had to be drilled or just made with the screws themselves. I just used the screws but if you have the patience, it is much better to drill holes to avoid splitting.

Regarding your first flight, if you don't have experience flying, please find someone to help. I am somewhat experienced but I found that having to trim a new model in flight was less than an casual event!!! All new pilots need help, it sure took me quite a few flight hours to solo.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:37 PM
CGCOMM3RET

Guys

I'm already figuring it is gonna take me a while to solo. Still haven't started assembly of my plane due to that white stuff being on the ground and more coming over the next couple of days. I can't wait to get started on it though. Will continue to follow this thread and save the tips everyone posts and will let all of you know if it helps me out.

Larry
Old 02-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Matt Merciez
My Feedback: (34)

I also have the Capitol Flyer, Purchased off ebay for $80. The manual is definately a little lacking but I did manage to get the plane assembled and to the field. On the initial fueling the plane leaked gas like there was not stopper installed. It took us about two hours to get the fuel tank out and repaired (stopper was not tight).

Once we got past the fuel tank problems, the plane has been a blast to fly. I am running a OS 46FX and am having a great time with the plane. Actually landed the plane on my first flight, instructor was amazed (I spent the prior month flying on the computer with the G2 simulator).

After the first flight I epoxied the wing halves together with no dyhedrial. I just did not feel good about using the bolt system for keeping the wing in place.

The plane does seem to land a little like a brick if you don't have a bit of speed on approach.

Overall I am quite happy with the plane, especially for the price paid.

Matt
Old 02-13-2004, 09:11 AM
twindaddy_1

Yeah like I noted above I had the same problem with the tank. I am now really looking forward to getting this plane in the air if the weather here ever gets out of the meat locker range. I have been flying and landing everything included in G2 and add-on 1 except the since Christmas.

I am also going without dihedral and have been thinking about gluing. I am now going to glue it, just seems like the right thing to do.

How does it handle inverted???? Rolling..........etc...........????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.