Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

A-10 GWS

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A-10 GWS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 07:22 AM
SunTracker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-10 GWS

When I was about 10 years old, I first started into r/c airplanes. I joined a local club and earned my wings (soloed) in a Great Planes PT-40. Got out of the hobby for a few years, and restarted again in 9th grade. Once again joined the local club, went through training with an instructor, and flew for about a year. That was about 6 years ago. So heres my question: This spring, a friend of mine and myself are going to start flying together. I was going to let him fly my PT-40, and I was thinking about buying a GWS A-10. Is this plane docile enough for me to learn (once again) how to fly?
Old 12-29-2003, 08:45 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A-10 GWS

Where were youlanning to "let him fly" the PT 40. You really need a large plot of land to avoid hitting something or someone. (Like many acres without houses, kids, etc.

The A-10 is a fairly quick plane, has to be flown pretty much full throttle to keep it airborne. I wouldn't suggest it yet. Get a GWS Slow Stick, Cub, or Tiger Moth first. Or better yet, why don't you both join the local club? You can get some refresher time before flying the A10, and your friend can learn without destroying the PT 40.

Welcome to RCU, and welcome back to RC.
Dennis-
Old 12-29-2003, 09:07 AM
SunTracker

Thanks. Oh yeah, I had full intentions of us both joining a club and flying with an instructor. We went out to the flying field sunday and talked to some of the guys. Don't remember my old ama number, but I think I can look it up and renew it.

Is there any .40 or .60 size trainer that flys slower than a PT-40? When I was learning to fly,I remember thinking "Man this plane is too fast".

I actually frequented RConline back in 1997-98 when I was flying.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Montague

I have an A-10 (actually, 2 now, the second is still in the box). I like the plane a lot, but it's not a beginners plane at all. In "stock" configuration it doesn't have much power (depends on the batteries), and it's actually rather fragile.

The PT-40 is an excelent plane. There are lots of other great trainers out there as well, but the PT-40 is just as good as any of them. I happen to like the Alpha, but unless you already have JR gear, I wouldn't go that route. Instead, I'd get a second radio that matched what you already have (assuming what you have is narrow band, etc), so you can trade off using a buddy cord if necessary.

For slow flight, the sig LT-40 is hard to beat. I haven't seen a Nextstar in person yet, but I hear good things about it.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:19 AM
SunTracker

How do I know if my radio is narrow-band? Its a 5 channel Futaba (channel 38). I was able to use it in 97/98. Also, I am a ham radio operator (KE4TMG). Do you know anything about r/c transmitters using ham radio frequencies?
Old 12-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Montague

I didn't do the math to figure out what year you bought the TX. If you bought it in the mid-90's you're fine. Anything made after '91 is narrow band. Stuff before that is where you run in to possible trouble.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:59 AM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Question : What do Ham frequencies do?!?

Do they provide free pork-based food that pops out the reciever?

How much $$$ do you need to pay for Ham Frequencies?

I can almost hear an advertisement : Call 1-800-222-PORK for a Ham operator License!!!

Did you get a ham license for RC or some other hobby (just curious)
Old 12-29-2003, 11:15 AM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

Isn't there a new version of the A-10 coming out with the new 55 motors replacing the 50's?
I read something about it. Sounded like a major improvement, probably from comments to GWS.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:25 AM
Montague

If you are a Ham, then you can use radios on the 50mhz band (I hope I got that one right). To get one, just order it that way. You might be able to get an existing radio moved over to that band, but most receivers can't be re-tuned that far, so you'll need new RXs. There are 3 Hams at my field, and they all agreed on who gets what frequency, so they never have to wait for a pin.

I've also heard about the upgrade to the A-10, but the new one I just got for xmas appears to have the EDF-50. Btw, I find a 720mah 8 cell nimh pack makes a world of difference in the flying. It can cruse level at just under half throttle, and while a loop still requires a dive entry, it's not nearly as hard to do. Rolls are a lot easier with more power as well. And I've even done inverted passes with it.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:25 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Heres a few comments on the A-10.

I am building one now for a guy and in my opinion its crap. The foam is so brittle and everything is just so small and flexiable and cheap looking. Plus I hear that it sucks for power and performance. I dont build many electrics for people and this is my first GWS and my first Park Flyer type of airplane. Needless to say it will be my last. I cant do quality work without a quality product. IMHO you should stick with the real airplane.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:08 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PT 40 will slow down about as much as any trainer out there. You need to fly at about 1/2 throttle.

Southern,
WHile I don't have a GW A-10, I have their Cub and Tiger Moth. These are park flyers, not glow planes. They have their place and the stuff GWS makes works well for it's intended purpose.

What I can't figure out, is why someone would PAY to have one built?? (Or should I say ASSEMBLED.) [X(]
Dennis-